Navarro should be pushing Schoop this spring

wildcard

If his offensive performance at 22 years old in the thick of a playoff race didn't unseat Jonathan Schoop from second base last year, there's next to no reason to believe the small sample size of a minor league free agent few have heard of is going to do it. The Orioles brass clearly sees something in Schoop and believes he can play every day, and if they didn't, they'd try to find a real upgrade.

This. Schoop will be the starting second baseman until he either gets too big for the position and moves to first or is traded for a significant addition to the team.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now where exactly did I say I expect big things from Navarro? I said I think he could push a guy with a .244 OBP and a .598 OPS. You have to remember how bad Schoop's offense was last year.

I like Schoop. I think he is going to be a good major league player. But he was rushed. Still has not had the time to develop as a hitter.

The $64,000 question is, now that Schoop has spent all of 2014 in the majors, would his development be served by sending him back to AAA, or is he better off continuing to work on hitting major league pitching? Bottom line, I don't think he'll stay in the majors all year if he posts a .244 OBP again. But, I'm not expecting him to post a .244 OBP again, either. If he can post a .275 OBP and crank up the power a bit, he keeps the job IMO.

The $64,000 question is, now that Schoop has spent all of 2014 in the majors, would his development be served by sending him back to AAA, or is he better off continuing to work on hitting major league pitching? Bottom line, I don't think he'll stay in the majors all year if he posts a .244 OBP again. But, I'm not expecting him to post a .244 OBP again, either. If he can post a .275 OBP and crank up the power a bit, he keeps the job IMO.

If Navarro puts up a 350 OBP at AAA and is playing good defense, Schoop having a .275 OBP may not keep him in the majors.

Now where exactly did I say I expect big things from Navarro? I said I think he could push a guy with a .244 OBP and a .598 OPS. You have to remember how bad Schoop's offense was last year.

I like Schoop. I think he is going to be a good major league player. But he was rushed. Still has not had the time to develop as a hitter.

That's why I think Schoop is pretty much locked into a starting spot for 2015, at least for a few months. The O's want to give him everyday at-bats in the majors to continue his development as a hitter. It wouldn't make much sense to me for the O's to make Schoop their everyday starter in 2014 and then suddenly reverse course at the beginning of 2015 and send him to the minors, all to make way for a player (Navarro) who has had an undistinguished minor league career offensively.

As others have said, the only guy Navarro may be "pushing" is Ryan Flaherty.

If Navarro puts up a 350 OBP at AAA and is playing good defense, Schoop having a .275 OBP may not keep him in the majors.

I'd like to have that choice. Remember I said, ".275 OBP and crank up the power a bit." The second part of that equation is important, too. Schoop posted a .208 ISO after the ASB.

That's why I think Schoop is pretty much locked into a starting spot for 2015, at least for a few months. The O's want to give him everyday at-bats in the majors to continue his development as a hitter. It wouldn't make much sense to me for the O's to make Schoop their everyday starter in 2014 and then suddenly reverse course at the beginning of 2015 and send him to the minors, all to make way for a player (Navarro) who has had an undistinguished minor league career offensively.

As others have said, the only guy Navarro may be "pushing" is Ryan Flaherty.

You may be right. We will see.

I would love to see Navarro get some platoon AB's against RHP, keeping Flaherty on the bench. Is there any way we could keep him, Schoop, and Flaherty on the active roster? If Young is essentially taking Cruz's spot as the full time DH, am I correct that we could add another utility IF?

We would not have the threat of a big lefty bat coming off the bench, but Navarro is a switch hitter who is better from the left side, plus Wieters can DH.

If we sign Rasmus, the last spot could come down to Navarro or a third catcher (Arencibia?).

Either way, unless I am forgetting somebody, I could see Navarro making the roster and getting some starts against RHBs.

More likely his arbitration cost will exceed his value.

This year? MLBTradeRumors estimates he'll make $1 mm. What's that, .2 WAR? I think he should outperform that. He's been worth 1.6 rWAR, 1.5 fWAR over the past three seasons, despite being sub-replacement in 2012.

Jonathan Schoop is going to be THE surprise most improved performer of the 2015 Orioles.

Except that I don't think anyone would be that surprised if he improved a lot. He's at the age and experience level where a lot of improvement often occurs. It's much more surprising when a guy like Steve Pearce suddenly goes nuts.

Archived