Navarro should be pushing Schoop this spring

wildcard

Is anyone following what is happening down in Puerto Rico this off season? Rey Navarro is putting up numbers.

142 AB, 21 R, 4 HR, 25 RBI. 4 SB, 310/361/437/798

Navarro turned 25 on December 22nd. He has long been known as a very good defensive player at SS and 2nd. He has been a AA All-Star the last two seasons. But something has changed the last year plus. He has started to hit. .351 OBP in the International League in 230 at bats. Now .361 OBP in winter ball. I am not saying that makes him anything special in the majors but it may give a guy who just had a .244 OBP in the majors something to think about.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too sure what the quality of the PR Winter League is, but my sense is it's below the Dominican Winter League and maybe below the Venezuelan Winter League as well. So, I don't know how much weight I put on these numbers, but at least they are good numbers.

You've been pushing the idea that Navarro may challenge for Schoop's starting job for a couple of months now. I think you're right that he will get a hard look. At the end of the day, I think it's still Schoop's job to lose, and I'm not sure he will lose it before Opening Day.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too sure what the quality of the PR Winter League is, but my sense is it's below the Dominican Winter League and maybe below the Venezuelan Winter League as well. So, I don't know how much weight I put on these numbers, but at least they are good numbers.

You've been pushing the idea that Navarro may challenge for Schoop's starting job for a couple of months now. I think you're right that he will get a hard look. At the end of the day, I think it's still Schoop's job to lose, and I'm not sure he will lose it before Opening Day.

When you put up a 209/244/354/598 it doesn't take a guy with a 1.000 OPS to push you.

Is anyone following what is happening down in Puerto Rico this off season? Rey Navarro is putting up numbers.

142 AB, 21 R, 4 HR, 25 RBI. 4 SB, 310/361/437/798

Navarro turned 25 on December 22nd. He has long been known as a very good defensive player at SS and 2nd. He has been a AA All-Star the last two seasons. But something has changed the last year plus. He has started to hit. .351 OBP in the International League in 230 at bats. Now .361 OBP in winter ball. I am not saying that makes him anything special in the majors but it may give a guy who just had a .244 OBP in the majors something to think about.

I think Rey Navarro is this year's Francisco Peguero -- the minor league journeyman who you think is destined for big things because of his winter ball numbers, but ends up having no impact.

I'd really put almost no stock in winter ball numbers. It's a small sample size against questionable levels of competition.

I also don't think the starting second base job is as up for grabs as you seem to believe. Schoop started the entire 2014 season despite his terrible offensive numbers, and I don't think Rey Navarro -- whose career minor league numbers are worse than Schoop's across the board -- is the guy who's going to take his job.

I want to see him too.

And it seem like a 23 year old guy who hit 27 HR and 97 RBI at AA, AAA and the majors should be able to be in the top 100 prospects.

You mean Walker? I think the way you present that information is misleading. Most of that damage (20 HR, 77 RBI, .884 OPS) was done at AA, where 23 is not particularly young for a top prospect. His performance in AAA was really just so-so, and he certainly didn't look that great in Baltimore.

Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with Walker's progress in 2014. But he won't even sniff a top 100 prospects list.

You mean Walker? I think the way you present that information is misleading. Most of that damage (20 HR, 77 RBI, .884 OPS) was done at AA, where 23 is not particularly young for a top prospect. His performance in AAA was really just so-so, and he certainly didn't look that great in Baltimore.

Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with Walker's progress in 2014. But he won't even sniff a top 100 prospects list.

Most to the players on the top 100 prospect list would not look good in the majors. That is why they are prospects.

I think Rey Navarro is this year's Francisco Peguero -- the minor league journeyman who you think is destined for big things because of his winter ball numbers, but ends up having no impact.

I'd really put almost no stock in winter ball numbers. It's a small sample size against questionable levels of competition.

I also don't think the starting second base job is as up for grabs as you seem to believe. Schoop started the entire 2014 season despite his terrible offensive numbers, and I don't think Rey Navarro -- whose career minor league numbers are worse than Schoop's across the board -- is the guy who's going to take his job.

Now where exactly did I say I expect big things from Navarro? I said I think he could push a guy with a .244 OBP and a .598 OPS. You have to remember how bad Schoop's offense was last year.

I like Schoop. I think he is going to be a good major league player. But he was rushed. Still has not had the time to develop as a hitter.

If his offensive performance at 22 years old in the thick of a playoff race didn't unseat Jonathan Schoop from second base last year, there's next to no reason to believe the small sample size of a minor league free agent few have heard of is going to do it. The Orioles brass clearly sees something in Schoop and believes he can play every day, and if they didn't, they'd try to find a real upgrade.

Navarro's minor league numbers are interesting. Not much better than Schoop in his early career but seems to have taken a leap in his AVG and power in 2013, and sustained it in 2014, actually hitting better at AAA than he did in AA the year before (34 doubles between AA and AAA). Way fewer K's than Schoop. I haven't watched him, but based off his numbers I would expect at the very least more balls in play and an approach that plays better at the MLB level. I have no idea how to weigh Puerto Rico numbers but I am more excited by his 2013-14. I am interested to see what he can do. Switch hitter who does better from the left side vs RHP (.815 OPS last year). I can see a platoon situation here. Unfortunately that is worse news for Flaherty than Schoop.

Archived