Orioles avoided arbitration with... (leave some very big differences as well)

Greg

File then go to arbitration.

He doesn't think there is a chance to reach an accord with the player and his agent.

I don't get the slam dunk part but maybe you are right.

I'd think they would try to reach a deal with any player who has a reasonable chance of getting what he asked.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't believe how much the O's are trying to lowball Pearce. That should be an easy win for him... all they need to show is that Pearce led all 1Bs in rWAR last year to show he's worth more than 2 mil in his final year of arbitration.

Arbitration does not work like free agency negotiation.

Arbitration does not work like free agency negotiation.

As far as I know, its all about presenting evidence as to why someone is worth the amount of money the team and agent submitted. Theres a lot of stats that can be shown for Pearce that he is worth far more than 2 million dollars, even going beyond the WAR. How many guys with a 900+ OPS only get a 1.5 million dollar raise in their final year of arbitration? Thats absurd.

As far as I know, its all about presenting evidence as to why someone is worth the amount of money the team and agent submitted. Theres a lot of stats that can be shown for Pearce that he is worth far more than 2 million dollars, even going beyond the WAR. How many guys with a 900+ OPS only get a 1.5 million dollar raise in their final year of arbitration? Thats absurd.

How many guys have quadrupled their arb 2 salaries?

Edit: Okay, Pearce made 700k last season, so the O's offer was a tick off of tripling his salary. If Pearce wins, it's almost 8 times as much. Has anybody had that significant of a percentage increase from Arb 2 to Arb 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/01/duquette-on-arbitration-and-more.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Duquette said that he discussed extensions with Tillman and a few other players. Wonder who? He also said he doesn't think he'll extend Davis or Weiters. (Re: Boras) Said he would revisit extensions talks with Tillman et al between now and spring training. He expects two arb cases to go to a hearing. Is having conversations about trades and free agent signings. "No comment" on Toronto.

I'm going to try to post some analyses of all these over the weekend. In Britton's case, I did some analysis last summer:

I tend to doubt [his 2015 salary] will be more than $3 mm, and quite possibly it will be less. I think maybe Tyler Clippard is a decent comp. He was a Super Two after the 2011 season, in which he posted a 1.83 ERA in 88.1 IP. On the one hand he wasn't the closer, and on the other hand, he had been a successful relief pitcher for a few consecutive seasons. He earned $1.65 mm as a Super Two the next season. The following year, his teammate Drew Storen was a Super Two, after being the closer in 2011 (43 saves) but missing a decent chunk of 2012 with injuries. Storen received $2.5 mm.

Maybe a better comp is Chris Perez. In the season that preceded his Super Two status, he became the closer, lost the job, then regained it, ending up with 23 saves and a 1.71 ERA. He got $2.25 mm the next year.

Considering that Britton was not particularly good in 2012-13, and only became the closer partway through this season, I'd guess he'll make north of $2.25 mm but less than $3 mm next year.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/142149-Zack-Britton-turning-in-to-quite-the-closer?p=3527792#post3527792

I think if the O's take him to arbitration, they win. This case should settle at about $3 mm.

What is so bad about going to arbitration? I understand it's probably a hassle to go in and explain why you should pay him X amount of money but why don't they go to arbitration with more players? Do they think they are getting the better end of the deal so often that they just sign a contract?

Can't believe how much the O's are trying to lowball Pearce. That should be an easy win for him... all they need to show is that Pearce led all 1Bs in rWAR last year to show he's worth more than 2 mil in his final year of arbitration.

I'm pretty sure the only stats that are allowed are official stats. So no WAR, FIP, UZR etc... Actually both sides are fairly limited as to what they can present from what I understand

What is so bad about going to arbitration? I understand it's probably a hassle to go in and explain why you should pay him X amount of money but why don't they go to arbitration with more players? Do they think they are getting the better end of the deal so often that they just sign a contract?

Many years ago, the players used to kick the owners' butts in these arbitrations. They don't go that often now because there is a lot of precedent that gives guidance as to what players can expect to earn, and nobody wants to go to war with their employee/employer over a 10% or so difference of opinion.

Archived