Orioles avoided arbitration with... (leave some very big differences as well)

Greg

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because it can create animosity between parties. Basically the team has to "trash" the player and point out their negatives. Most teams and players prefer to avoid that.

Plus Smouse has won every case he's fought. Best to meet in the middle.

There is really no limit on what either party can offer. So why wouldn't you offer a lot less or more than you really want to pay' date=' if most of the time you meet in the middle?[/quote']

Because arbitration is either/or. No meeting in the middle. So if the player asks way too much, or the team offers way too little, one side can get screwed.

I'm going to try to post some analyses of all these over the weekend. In Britton's case, I did some analysis last summer:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/142149-Zack-Britton-turning-in-to-quite-the-closer?p=3527792#post3527792

I think if the O's take him to arbitration, they win. This case should settle at about $3 mm.

I think this is Boras' number as well.

Not true at all so far as I know. Where are you getting that from?

I honesty don't recall. I thought it was in the CBA but it isn't. The idea wasn't to call into question those newer stats but to keep the hearing clear of ambiguous data as each side only as a limited time to give their presentation and rebuttal.

So he can't say that he is staying with the team he has a legal binding contract??? He could have said something. Not saying anything means something.

He said in December that he is honoring his contract. Does he need to say that more often?

He hasn't stated that he isn't interested in the position because he probably is. It's not really in his hands. What do you want him to say that wouldn't be a lie?

Archived