Baseball America has Dariel Alvarez 5th on their prospect list

wildcard

That's the highest I have seem him. Keith Law has him 19th and MLB.com has him unranked. I know Steve Melewski does the writeups for BA but I don't know who ranks them. Could this be Melewski reflecting what Buck thinks of Alvarez? I have heard Buck sneer more than once at lists that don't have Alvarez in the top ten.

I would think that a number 5 ranking mean that they think that Alvarez is a everyday player.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/02/drafttaking-a-look-at-the-orioles-top-30-prospects-per-baseball-america.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the highest I have seem him. Keith Law has him 19th and MLB.com has him unranked. I know Steve Melewski does the writeups for BA but I don't know who ranks them. Could this be Melewski reflecting what Buck thinks of Alvarez? I have heard Buck sneer more than once at lists that don't have Alvarez is the top ten.

I would think that a number 5 ranking mean that they think that Alvarez is a everyday player.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/02/drafttaking-a-look-at-the-orioles-top-30-prospects-per-baseball-america.html

I don't think a team with group of prospects that is being graded in the 22-26 range is a lock to have five prospects at the everyday player level.

Honestly there are five Oriole prospects that I am currently high on and three of them are pitchers.

I don't think a team with group of prospects that is being graded in the 22-26 range is a lock to have five prospects at the everyday player level.

Honestly there are five Oriole prospects that I am currently high on and three of them are pitchers.

I am not worried about the O's being ranked 22-26th. Not when they have 5 picks in the top 100 come June. I think the ranking reflects the overall depth of the current system. Not Alvarez's potential.

I am not worried about the O's being ranked 22-26th. Not when they have 5 picks in the top 100 come June. I think the ranking reflects the overall depth of the current system. Not Alvarez's potential.

That isn't what I was trying to say.

I think your hypothesis that since Alvarez is rated in the top 5 that means they think he is an everyday player is flawed. In a weak system the fifth best prospect might not be much of a prospect at all.

That's the highest I have seem him. Keith Law has him 19th and MLB.com has him unranked. I know Steve Melewski does the writeups for BA but I don't know who ranks them. Could this be Melewski reflecting what Buck thinks of Alvarez? I have heard Buck sneer more than once at lists that don't have Alvarez in the top ten.

I am relatively certain that Steve Melewski himself does that list.

That isn't what I was trying to say.

I think your hypothesis that since Alvarez is rated in the top 5 that means they think he is an everyday player is flawed. In a weak system the fifth best prospect might not be much of a prospect at all.

Like the different prospect lists, opinions vary on Alvarez. I expect him to be the most exciting prospect in the O's camp this spring.

Uh, doesn't Tony rank Alvarez 5th? For me, that counts as much as anyone else's list. And I agree that ranking him 5th doesn't mean he's expected to be an impact player. Tony suggested he's a 4th OF with a ceiling of being a starter. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/145112-2014-5-Prospect-Dariel-Alvarez?highlight=Alvarez

Excellent point.

Uh, doesn't Tony rank Alvarez 5th? For me, that counts as much as anyone else's list. And I agree that ranking him 5th doesn't mean he's expected to be an impact player. Tony suggested he's a 4th OF with a ceiling of being a starter. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/145112-2014-5-Prospect-Dariel-Alvarez?highlight=Alvarez

I would also put a lot of stock in Kiley McDaniel's opinion, as he used to work for us. He also had excellent write ups for the players he listed. Considering the stark differences in his and Tony's list, I think a lot of it has to do with philosophies.

I always think that more time and effort is put into the Hangout rankings than any other. Obviously they can all hit and miss. It is really an educated prediction.

I would also put a lot of stock in Kiley McDaniel's opinion, as he used to work for us. He also had excellent write ups for the players he listed. Considering the stark differences in his and Tony's list, I think a lot of it has to do with philosophies.

Kiley is well thought of.

Yes, he does. Unless I am completely wrong. And I don't think so.

You are completely wrong. :P Here's what Melewski said about his role on the 2015 list, a few months ago when the top 10 came out. (I'm not sure why wildcard thought Alvarez's ranking by BA was news; it's been known since October. The only news is that we now have BA's top 30, not just their top 10.)

Baseball America top 10 coming Monday: Baseball America will begin to roll out another fall and winter of team top 10 prospects lists next week and the first team up is the Orioles. The O's new top 10 prospects list will be released on the Baseball America website on Monday.

I do have some knowledge of the list since I was involved in putting it together for the second year in a row. It was challenging and fun to again work with the Baseball America staff in compiling the O's top 10.

While my name will appear on the writeups, it is not my list or my opinions. The rankings are compiled by talking with front office staff inside and outside of the O's organization. The Baseball America staff oversees everything and no one does this better. Their editors and staff talk to scouts and front office execs all over baseball to finalize the list. I'm proud to do my part.

You are completely wrong. :P Here's what Melewski said about his role on the 2015 list, a few months ago when the top 10 came out. (I'm not sure why wildcard thought Alvarez's ranking by BA was news; it's been known since October. The only news is that we now have BA's top 30, not just their top 10.)

So going into ST I can discount what every other list says and be confident that Tony and Baseball America have Alvarez in the O's top 5.

Archived