Machado not in top ten per mlb network

BohKnowsBmore

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 2012 through 2014, Manny is 12th in fWAR among players listed at 3B. Of course, Manny only played two months in 2012, and slightly more than three in 2014. And, the list includes Miguel Cabrera, no longer a 3B. Factor all that in, and his age, and I certainly expect Manny to be a top five 3B in 2015.

That's a fair point. Bogaerts has logged 162 major league games now over two seasons, and he turned 22 this fall. Probably time to cut bait and see what else they can line up.

And MM turned 22 this August, was the equal prospect of Bogaerts coming up, and has logged 289 games over the last three years and has 10 more WAR than Bogaerts.

I'm not seeing how there's any comparison between the two.

I don't know what "The Shredder" is, but if it prefers a 36 year-old Juan Uribe over a 22 year-old Manny Machado for this season, I am not inclined to agree with it. And I think Nolan Arenado is a fine young player who is actually in the same class defensively as Machado, but his line away from Coors is .252/.287/.375 Machado's road line is .276/.308/.400. Third base is definitely stacked though, I will give them that.

fargo12.jpg

Yeah. I would like to ask Stotle to show us his list of 3B whose overall production he'd like to have for the next 3 years, regardless of contract, before Machado.

Stotle is one smart dude. However, he's kind of like the devils anti-Oriole advocate around here. He's right more often than not and more often than me. I can't resist this one though. He once said that if Machado had been available in the 2011 draft (Machado was drafted in 2010) that he would have drafted 17 players before Machado in that draft. Nobody's perfect.

Yeah, if Machado has a healthy career I will definitely be wrong about that. I had him too far down that hypothetical list. In my defense, the guys I had above him included Anthony Rendon, Gerrit Cole, Sonny Gray, Archie Bradley, Jose Fernandez, Francisco Lindor, Blake Swihart, and Daniel Norris, all of whom look pretty good at this point. I don't remember when I did that hypothetical list but I assume I also had Starling, Hultzen, Bauer, Jungmann ahead of him (yuck). I don't know who else there would have been but I believe you that 17 was the number I claimed at the time.

If I get free reign, for 3B over the next three years I don't know that I'd prefer anyone over Machado other than

1. Rendon (I think he's the complete package and can impact every facet of the game)

2. Maybe Seager/Donaldson based on recent production

3. Maybe Carlos Correa or Xander Bogaerts if I was going pure upside and not concerned with MLB experience/production (could put Bryant/Seager/Gallo/Sano in the convo, too, but only the first two are really in the convo for me unless I'm hedging extremely heavily on health)

And MM turned 22 this August, was the equal prospect of Bogaerts coming up, and has logged 289 games over the last three years and has 10 more WAR than Bogaerts.

You and I see the major league performance to date as having a varying level of import. That's okay with me.

I don't know what "The Shredder" is, but if it prefers a 36 year-old Juan Uribe over a 22 year-old Manny Machado for this season, I am not inclined to agree with it. And I think Nolan Arenado is a fine young player who is actually in the same class defensively as Machado, but his line away from Coors is .252/.287/.375 Machado's road line is .276/.308/.400. Third base is definitely stacked though, I will give them that.

The "Shredder" is a made name for a made up thing. It pretends to be a big, purple, made up way of evaluating a made up game that is not called baseball.

Bogaerts is close to a failed prospect. Manny is on a Hall of Fame pathway.

Yeah, if Machado has a healthy career I will definitely be wrong about that. I had him too far down that hypothetical list. In my defense, the guys I had above him included Anthony Rendon, Gerrit Cole, Sonny Gray, Archie Bradley, Jose Fernandez, Francisco Lindor, Blake Swihart, and Daniel Norris, all of whom look pretty good at this point. I don't remember when I did that hypothetical list but I assume I also had Starling, Hultzen, Bauer, Jungmann ahead of him (yuck). I don't know who else there would have been but I believe you that 17 was the number I claimed at the time.

If I get free reign, for 3B over the next three years I don't know that I'd prefer anyone over Machado other than

1. Rendon (I think he's the complete package and can impact every facet of the game)

2. Maybe Seager/Donaldson based on recent production

3. Maybe Carlos Correa or Xander Bogaerts if I was going pure upside and not concerned with MLB experience/production (could put Bryant/Seager/Gallo/Sano in the convo, too, but only the first two are really in the convo for me unless I'm hedging extremely heavily on health)

You could not have predicted the devastating knee injuries. So on this one bud, you are and have been wrong.

Archived