Kurkjian: O's Jones "Unique Player and Person"

MASNPalmer

Added Showalter: "He has been as good for me here as I hope I have been for him. The first week I was here, he said all the right things, and he was sincere. Adam has a lot of cache. He has earned it. He has earned that freedom. We have three or four guys like that. If new guys need answers to their questions, I tell them to watch the guys who have been here, like Adam. If you don't understand them, then you're stupid, and you have to go. When we were deciding [in 2014] to sign Delmon [Young], I knew I had Adam. He does drills like it's the seventh game of the World Series. When we got [outfielder Alejandro] De Aza last year, we heard he was a little lazy, but I didn't worry because we had Adam. When we got [outfielder Travis] Snider [from Pittsburgh in January], I didn't worry. [Outfielder] Nelson [Cruz] had figured out some short cuts when he got to us [in 2014], but the first day, we did some serious drills. He kind of asked, 'We do these on the first day? Don't we get some time to ease into it?' Adam said, 'We don't do things that way here.'"

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/blackhistoryMLB1/baltimore-orioles-adam-jones-unique-player-person

Adam is the straw that stir's the drink here. He does so much more than his numbers show.

Wait, what? I thought blowing bubbles was the bane of our existence and the reason we haven't won a World Series since he's been here.:D

By the way, I'm sure De Aza loves being called lazy by his manager for the whole world to read about. ROFL.

"But I'm damn sure going to tell them that, as an Oriole, you will give a great effort. That's the moral of the story here: play with effort, play with awareness. If they don't bust their butt, there will be a bus ticket to Norfolk waiting for them. I'm not real vocal in the clubhouse because everyone is having fun in there, but no one is ever going to come to me and say, 'Hey, you don't hustle' because I know I did."

Wait, what? I thought blowing bubbles was the bane of our existence and the reason we haven't won a World Series since he's been here.:D

"I have proven to the baseball world and the people of Baltimore what I can do. But I have just cracked the mold on what I can do. When I get in that batter's box, I have no fear. I have evolved as a player that way. Look at some of the greatest players in recent years, Bonds, Griffey , Biggio, Tony Gwynn, they were all prepared. That's me, always trying to get better. I'm like a website, you know, under construction."

"I have proven to the baseball world and the people of Baltimore what I can do. But I have just cracked the mold on what I can do. When I get in that batter's box, I have no fear. I have evolved as a player that way. Look at some of the greatest players in recent years, Bonds, Griffey , Biggio, Tony Gwynn, they were all prepared. That's me, always trying to get better. I'm like a website, you know, under construction."
Adam Jones on much-hyped Yanks starter: 'Why don't you ask Tanaka about me?'

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/adam-jones-baltimore-orioles-masahiro-tanaka-new-york-yankees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived