Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Kyle Skipworth

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

8. Kyle Skipworth {High School C } (18). Skipworth has been a steady riser among scouts who have watched his growth in the California H.S. ranks. Skipworth was tremendous during the summer and at the wood bat AFLAC classic, until fading at the Area Code Games later in the year.

At a physically impressive 6' 3 190, Kyle features a 4-tool skill-set, with speed being his only detriment. He reminds some of Joe Mauer, with excellent athleticism, a sweet left-handed swing, good eye, and plus power. He has struggled at times with plate coverage, as the better pitchers would go away, away, away... and the pull conscious Skipworth will need to adjust.

Defensively he is above average, in calling a good game and receiving well, all while having a solid arm to boot.

Should Skipworth continue his progression and have a banner senior season, I doubt that he'll last past pick #10.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 85

Next up> College DH/1B Yonder Alonso.

I wish we had an extra pick later in the 1st round so we could get this kid. All the tools for the position and a good bat. Someone will be happy on draft day. I know, I know, Wieters is here. But injuries and trades do happen, expecially if they both prove their worth.

I think Skipworth will go in the top 10. I could see him going to the Marlins since he doesn't have any know signability problems at this time.

Very possible that Skipworth goes to Florida. Obviously the upcoming senior campaign will go a looooong way to determining his true draft value.

Archived