Steve Pearce: The positionless everyday player

wildcard

Normally when a player hits for a 930 OPS like Steve Pearce did last year it wins him a position. Not so with Pearce.

It appears that Pearce plays everyday but where Buck plays him will be determined by matchups. Whoever does not hit that days pitcher in leftfield, rightfield, 1B or DH will sit and Pearce will play that spot.

Seem kind of strange that Pearce has not settled in to a position but he hasn't.

I think he could have LF, RF, or DH, but the team is better depending on matchups if he moves around. It's not a slight to Pearce, just making the fullest use of his versatility. There are some similar guys in the league. Allen Craig, Nick Swisher, and Garret Jones come to mind as guys with similar skill sets that moved around some even during their peak years.

I think he could have LF, RF, or DH, but the team is better depending on matchups if he moves around. It's not a slight to Pearce, just making the fullest use of his versatility. There are some similar guys in the league. Allen Craig, Nick Swisher, and Garret Jones come to mind as guys with similar skill sets that moved around some even during their peak years.

Our own Melvin Mora.

Yep. As far as Pearce is concerned he should embrace it. Showcases ability to fill many positions, thus increasing teams on which he fits in FA, thus increasing potential contract dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for jumping to good, positive conclusions, so here's one for the board:

What do you think about the O's having the league leading HR hitter for the 3rd consecutive year with a 3rd different player, and it's Steve Pearce.

I realize that two HRs in two games isn't a huge feat, but as long as pitchers don't find whatever holes there might be in his swing, he will be productive. I see him as somewhat of a Kevin Millar type in a way, because he just murders fastballs and is basically a dead pull hitter.

I'm all for jumping to good, positive conclusions, so here's one for the board:

What do you think about the O's having the league leading HR hitter for the 3rd consecutive year with a 3rd different player, and it's Steve Pearce.

I realize that two HRs in two games isn't a huge feat, but as long as pitchers don't find whatever holes there might be in his swing, he will be productive. I see him as somewhat of a Kevin Millar type in a way, because he just murders fastballs and is basically a dead pull hitter.

Well he needs to double his pace if he wants to catch Ramirez and Pedroia. :)

His swing reminds me of Dave Henderson from the late 80s A's. I like him in the two spot. As far as positions go, I expect him to DH tonight and RF on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally when a player hits for a 930 OPS like Steve Pearce did last year it wins him a position. Not so with Pearce.

It appears that Pearce plays everyday but where Buck plays him will be determined by matchups. Whoever does not hit that days pitcher in leftfield, rightfield, 1B or DH will sit and Pearce will play that spot.

Seem kind of strange that Pearce has not settled in to a position but he hasn't.

Why are you looking to be so negative?

The team is 2-0.

Versitile guys like Pearce and can hit like Pearce are too common, and makes the manager's job easier.

Why are you looking to be so negative?

The team is 2-0.

Versitile guys like Pearce and can hit like Pearce are too common, and makes the manager's job easier.

I don't think any of that was negative.

Looks to me like he's going to DH 75% (against RHP) of the time, play 1B about 10 times this year, and play LF or RF against LHP.

In the short term at least, I imagine he moves around a lot over the course of the season as people get dinged up.

I think he's a fine LF and 1B. Tough to bump Davis from 1B but it shouldn't be too hard nabbing some LF time. If De Aza doesn't play, though, I'm having trouble figuring out who is leading off. Snider?

Cabrera at least some of the time.

Archived