Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I threw two numbers out there without looking into the specifics to prove my point. The fact that we have our highest payroll of all time is a red hearing because of inflation. We haven't really done anything with our payroll other than adjust it for inflation.

I think if you look where we rank in payroll compared to other teams, you will find we have moved up substantially in the rankings. But, it depends when you start. We had a very high payroll compared to other teams in the late 90's and into 2000. We had a low payroll compared to other teams in the mid to late 2000's.

Kevin Gausman 7.36

Brad Brach 9.64

Tommy Hunter 13.50

Those ERA's are a clear indication that our mid to late bullpen has no need for Andrew Miller. Should have signed him. A no brainer!!

Tommy hunter has 2.2 IP right now...

Sample size is for pale, overweight kids who play baseball video games in mom's basement. Don't think. Don't analyze. Forget so-called logic. Tell me how that 13.50 ERA makes you feel. Then make long-lasting decisions based on that feeling.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize in advance if these points were made...

Staying within budget, the Orioles could afford Miller by not signing Wright, not offering arbitration or trading Matusz and Hunter, and trading Webb. IMO, this makes the team better because you have a better back end of the bullpen and you gain needed roster flexibility. Right now, we have none. Yes, Gausman can be optioned, but when Wright returns it's gone. This could end up hurting if there are long extra innings games or if the starter gets knocked out early.

Britton

Miller

ODay

Brach

Garcia

McFarland

That's a base of six with McFarland able to be optioned. Then that seventh spot could go to Wright/Berry/Gausman/Johnson/Bowden/McCoy.

You could also have the flexibility to use that 12th spot for a short period of time to solve the Paredes/Lough situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sample size is for pale, overweight kids who play baseball video games in mom's basement. Don't think. Don't analyze. Forget so-called logic. Tell me how that 13.50 ERA makes you feel. Then make long-lasting decisions based on that feeling.

Can - are you feeling that? :P:D j/k of course!

Drungo with the dagger to the heart! :hearts: Oh but he is in the cadre, the clique and sam is an outsider......:slytf:

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize in advance if these points were made...

Staying within budget, the Orioles could afford Miller by not signing Wright, not offering arbitration or trading Matusz and Hunter, and trading Webb. IMO, this makes the team better because you have a better back end of the bullpen and you gain needed roster flexibility. Right now, we have none. Yes, Gausman can be optioned, but when Wright returns it's gone. This could end up hurting if there are long extra innings games or if the starter gets knocked out early.

Britton

Miller

ODay

Brach

Garcia

McFarland

That's a base of six with McFarland able to be optioned. Then that seventh spot could go to Wright/Berry/Gausman/Johnson/Bowden/McCoy.

You could also have the flexibility to use that 12th spot for a short period of time to solve the Paredes/Lough situation.

Excellent post!!!

Britton

Miller

ODay

Brach

Garcia

McFarland

Personally, I'd prefer to increase the payroll by 12 million and decrease the profit by 12 million. That still leaves the O's making 25 million profit if they equate last year, this year. But, I agree also that even without increasing payroll, we could have signed him and we would be a better team if we had.

1.1 innings pitched tonight, no hits, no walks, 3 strikeouts. Thank you Mr Angelos. It would have been great for O's to start the ninth with Miller. It will be interesting to see if not signing Miller ultimately cost us a playoff spot. Tonight I can say if we have Miller the game is headed to extra innings.

1.1 innings pitched tonight, no hits, no walks, 3 strikeouts. Thank you Mr Angelos. It would have been great for O's to start the ninth with Miller. It will be interesting to see if not signing Miller ultimately cost us a playoff spot. Tonight I can say if we have Miller the game is headed to extra innings.

This is beyond silly to try to extrapolate about tonight. The whole bullpen was screwed from the time the incident happened. Miller easily could have come in earlier.

...in which case you would still have to bring in Matusz and Hunter.

I really thought Gausman could play the Miller role for us. Bridge guy regardless of matchups. He showed that in the bullpen down the stretch last year. Unfortunately he has been getting crushed. Inexcusable today to hang a slider to Ryan Hanigan on a 1-2 pitch.

...in which case you would still have to bring in Matusz and Hunter.

I really thought Gausman could play the Miller role for us. Bridge guy regardless of matchups. He showed that in the bullpen down the stretch last year. Unfortunately he has been getting crushed. Inexcusable today to hang a slider to Ryan Hanigan on a 1-2 pitch.

No, Miller comes in to pitch the ninth inning.

Stan Charles ‏@StanTheFan 3m3 minutes ago

Stan Charles retweeted Tim Richardson

Tim, you are 100% correct. They saved $36 million and tonight it looked like they got what they paid for.

No, Miller comes in to pitch the ninth inning.

Stan Charles ‏@StanTheFan 3m3 minutes ago

Stan Charles retweeted Tim Richardson

Tim, you are 100% correct. They saved $36 million and tonight it looked like they got what they paid for.

You can't be certain about some hypothetical. He could easily have been brought in earlier. This argument is stupid.

You can't be certain about some hypothetical. He could easily have been brought in earlier. This argument is stupid.

If I am managing Miller pitches the 8th, Britton pitches the 9th. I like how Sox used Koji in 9th. We were on borrowed time pitching Matusz in the 9th. He was lucky to get out of the 8th. Thank you for posting Stan Charles tweet. I said it last fall. It was a must to sign Miller. Does this franchise want to win?????

Archived