Why didn't Buck use Garcia today?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I don't know about you but I am really surprised that Buck didn't have Garcia pitch atleast two innings today. It seemed like a good game to get him in. Thoughts?

The general consensus is that he wanted to get Hunter and Gausman both back out there in a low leverage situation.

He said that he thought about it but stuck with KG. Reading between the lines, I think he saw that KG's stuff was good today and saw an opportunity for him to build his confidence. The K on Victorino was nasty, got him swinging on the slider. Definitely the best KG has looked this year in terms of command.

You do wonder when we are going to see Garcia. Up 5, two days after our starter got pulled, today would seem to have been a perfect situation for Garcia. I guess we are going to have to be down 5 for Buck to consider it. The way we are playing, that might not happen for a long time.

We are starting to see why teams that are contenders can't keep a Rule 5 guy. The last two years it worked out because we had other guys with options. Now this year we have Gausman and Flaherty and that's it. We are a different kind of team this year. Vet team, albeit young, with everyone pretty much in set roles. As of now the argument is Garcia vs. a shuttle of Wright/Wilson/SJ. It hasn't cost us a game yet. But I don't like over exposing O'day. That's why Toronto kills him and KC did in the playoffs. It's more about the other guys forcing their way up then Garcia at this point. At least I hope.

We are starting to see why teams that are contenders can't keep a Rule 5 guy. The last two years it worked out because we had other guys with options. Now this year we have Gausman and Flaherty and that's it. We are a different kind of team this year. Vet team, albeit young, with everyone pretty much in set roles. As of now the argument is Garcia vs. a shuttle of Wright/Wilson/SJ. It hasn't cost us a game yet. But I don't like over exposing O'day. That's why Toronto kills him and KC did in the playoffs. It's more about the other guys forcing their way up then Garcia at this point. At least I hope.

Yeah, when you think about it that way, the latter option seems much more preferable. The O's must really see something in Garcia, I don't know.

Buck realized that no lead is safe in Boston, even a 5 run lead. Garcia will get in a game when the Orioles are already behind.

What he said. I just don't think Buck trusts Garcia enough to use him in any game that the O's lead, even by a relatively comfortable five runs. I think he's worried that if Garcia (who has struggled with his command so far) comes in and walks a couple guys, things could snowball on him and suddenly the lead isn't so comfortable. Buck would rather bring in Garcia to a game the O's are already losing.

It's similar to how Buck used T.J. McFarland in 2013, the year he was a Rule 5 pick. Looking at his game log, 12 of the first 14 games McFarland pitched in were losses. That's partly because McFarland was a long reliever who mainly came in after an O's starter got torched, but he also went long stretches of time without making appearances even when the bullpen was taxed.

While many of you make good points regarding usage (or non-usage) of Garcia, I think it is a combination of (1) as others have mentioned within this thread, it was important to give Hunter and Gausman a chance to succeed and (2) Garcia is well-rested and an 11AM game tomorrow makes anyone who pitched on 4/19 pretty much a no-go. Right now, Buck should have 5 BP arms available with Garcia, O'Day, Matusz, Brach and Britton.

Nope. I think they make a roster move before tomorrow's game. We will see though.
Yeah, I was thinking Gausman will go down, but we'll see.

Our Radio guys said, When Buck was asked about Roster moves before today's game, that it all depends on how deep Gonzo goes in the game.

Archived