Trading De Aza

Scrat1

I guess I need to say platoon 100 tome to get trhough. Not sure what else to say. I'll take Lough's platoon value over Lough's leveraged value. How's that?

It's wrong. :P

He has a 748/668 split.

That doesn't scream platoon to me. Last season he had a big split but only hit 766 vs RHP.

Is a 29 point OPS edge vs RHP compared to Lough worth keeping him?

You don't think Lough's glove makes up the 29 point difference?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lough is a 4th outfilder. A very good 4th oufielder, but a 4th oufielder. Not that big of a deal. We'll get some return for him but the Lough WAR story is way overblown.

I would argue de Aza is exactly the same, way more expensive and not under control for another year.. statistical analysis aside since you brushed that off without cause really.

He has a 748/668 split.

That doesn't scream platoon to me. Last season he had a big split but only hit 766 vs RHP.

I like De Aza's approach much better than Lough's and he's a proven player with regular play. Lough is not. I think the defense would not be as significant as you think. Apples to apples as a platoon player with regular playing time I would take De Aza. As a bench player, I'd take Lough.

I like De Aza's approach much better than Lough's and he's a proven player with regular play. Lough is not. I think the defense would not be as significant as you think. Apples to apples as a platoon player with regular playing time I would take De Aza. As a bench player, I'd take Lough.

He is rockin' a 9-1 K-BB ratio, he has a 267 OBP.

What is it you like about his approach? His ability to foul off pitches?

I would argue de Aza is exactly the same, way more expensive and not under control for another year.. statistical analysis aside since you brushed that off without cause really.

What did i brush off. If you have a guy who is strong on defense and pinch running and gets placed in that position regularly as a defensive replacement and pinch runner and has limited exposure hitting ...of course you're going to have a guy with an artificially high WAR. The point about his WAR value being leveraged is not new.

With Jones, Snider, Pearce, Young, and Lough, we dont't need de Aza and his .250 something OBP (mental gaffes included) to be a regular, so I'd rather have Lough as the 4th outfielder/defensive replacement than de Aza. If Parades is DHing, that means Young needs to play more out there and so does Snider.

To me Snider fills de Aza's role better than de Aza. He's also 30 something with an OBP that's been decreasing every year since he turned 30. Nothing this year suggests he's going to do any better either.

When you say you like his approach, what are you referring to? His approach to inappropriate bunts or..?

I guess I need to say platoon 100 tome to get through. Not sure what else to say. I'll take Lough's platoon value over Lough's leveraged value. How's that?

He has a 748/668 split.

Just came to post this.

De Aza's career splits: .748/.668

Lough's career splits: .719/.620

That's not much of a gap, and as Corn pointed out, Lough's defense most likely closes that gap. Then when you take into account all the other stuff--defensive sub, pinch runner, true center fielder, years of control, contract--it's a no brainer.

You sound like Herman.

Bit uncalled for I think.

Of course I get accused of worse around here on a weekly basis.

You say that defense isn't significant, you know what isn't statistically significant? Twenty nine points worth of OPS versus right handed pitchers.

At least Lough is good at something relative to his peers.

He is rockin' a 9-1 K-BB ratio, he has a 267 OBP.

What is it you like about his approach? His ability to foul off pitches?

He's been pretty good at striking out at balls in the dirt and making the catcher throw to 1B.

I like the guy, but if it comes down to keeping De Aza or Lough, I think I'd rather have Lough. His late game defense is a real plus. I probably wouldn't have thought it was so valuable until we got swept by the Royals, who hit fewer hard hit balls but had a virtual net over the outfield.

He's been pretty good at striking out at balls in the dirt and making the catcher throw to 1B.

I like the guy, but if it comes down to keeping De Aza or Lough, I think I'd rather have Lough. His late game defense is a real plus. I probably wouldn't have thought it was so valuable until we got swept by the Royals, who hit fewer hard hit balls but had a virtual net over the outfield.

I didn't think about De Aza's effect on the catcher's pitch count.

Good point.

With Jones, Snider, Pearce, Young, and Lough, we dont't need de Aza and his .250 something OBP (mental gaffes included) to be a regular, so I'd rather have Lough as the 4th outfielder/defensive replacement than de Aza. If Parades is DHing, that means Young needs to play more out there and so does Snider.

To me Snider fills de Aza's role better than de Aza. He's also 30 something with an OBP that's been decreasing every year since he turned 30. Nothing this year suggests he's going to do any better either.

When you say you like his approach, what are you referring to? His approach to inappropriate bunts or..?

Yeah, I'm gonna bet DeAza will rebound to something better that his current .250 obp and something closer to his career numbers against RHP.

Archived