Trading De Aza

Scrat1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the Angels flush in cash and the Dodgers jammed in the outfield, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out an Either or Crawford dump.

The Dodgers are no longer jammed in the outfield -- in fact they had to call someone up because Puig and Crawford are both on the CL. Crawford's going to be down for some time, so he's going nowhere. Ethier's going to be playing nearly every day.

I still don't see the point in trading De Aza unless we're the clear winners of the trade.

With the Angels flush in cash and the Dodgers jammed in the outfield, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out an Either or Crawford dump.

Well I was suggesting trying to send DeAza to LAD. Crawford and Puig are both on the DL with injuries that could easily reoccur.

The Dodgers are no longer jammed in the outfield -- in fact they had to call someone up because Puig and Crawford are both on the CL. Crawford's going to be down for some time, so he's going nowhere. Ethier's going to be playing nearly every day.

I still don't see the point in trading De Aza unless we're the clear winners of the trade.

Why do we need to be the winners in a trade? His roster spot and saved payroll could be valuable enough.

I think we would be jumping the gun in attempting to trade anyone at this point. Looking at the DH/LF/RF log jam we have five players and they all come with question marks. None of these guys are sure things.

Can Delmon Young hit enough to be more than a part time player?

Can Steve Pearce prove last year wasn't a fluke? He hasn't gotten off to a very good start.

Can Travis Snider be productive over a full season? At age 27 this is still something he has yet to prove he can do.

Is De Aza anything more than a platoon option and mediocre starter?

Paredes comes with the biggest question marks considering his minor league numbers don't support him sustaining his current outburst.

There is is a good chance a couple of these guys are studs and couple of them are duds. I think we need to wait until at least midseason to find out which category they fall into and then we can start discussing trades.

De Aza actually has the best track record of all these guys.

Do you mean he's been doing it the longest or his history looks the best? I look at this track record and see a guy who's been on the decline for going on 3 years now, providing almost replacement level value.

Do you mean he's been doing it the longest or his history looks the best? I look at this track record and see a guy who's been on the decline for going on 3 years now, providing almost replacement level value.

Yes he does, considering none of the other four have produced over a full season ever (Paredes, Snider and Pearce) and Delmon Young hasn't since 2010 nor is he expected to play anywhere close to a full season's worth of at bats. De Aza has been a decent regular as recently as 2013 and even in an off year last season he put up a .700 OPS. I'm not advocating De Aza playing over the rest of these guys on a daily basis, but we need to see how it plays out because none of them are sure things, De Aza included.

I totally forgot about David Lough. That's six guys for three positions. He is the guy I would look to move first, but I would still wait at least until midseason to see how it plays out with injuries and performance.

Yes he does, considering none of the other four have produced over a full season ever (Paredes, Snider and Pearce) and Delmon Young hasn't since 2010 nor is he expected to play anywhere close to a full season's worth of at bats. De Aza has been a decent regular as recently as 2013 and even in an off year last season he put up a .700 OPS. I'm not advocating De Aza playing over the rest of these guys on a daily basis, but we need to see how it plays out because none of them are sure things, De Aza included.

The defensive metrics are very widely split on De Aza the past couple years. By fWAR (UZR) he's a 2.3 and 1.5 WAR respectively in 2013 and 2014. Considerably less by rWAR where DRS punished him pretty badly (particularly in CF). I generally favor DRS/rWAR. That said, i'm comfortable that De Aza can be a good contributor in LF and as a strict platoon guy.

I think we would be jumping the gun in attempting to trade anyone at this point. Looking at the DH/LF/RF log jam we have five players and they all come with question marks. None of these guys are sure things.

Can Delmon Young hit enough to be more than a part time player?

Can Steve Pearce prove last year wasn't a fluke? He hasn't gotten off to a very good start.

Can Travis Snider be productive over a full season? At age 27 this is still something he has yet to prove he can do.

Is De Aza anything more than a platoon option and mediocre starter?

Paredes comes with the biggest question marks considering his minor league numbers don't support him sustaining his current outburst.

There is is a good chance a couple of these guys are studs and couple of them are duds. I think we need to wait until at least midseason to find out which category they fall into and then we can start discussing trades.

I was actually about to ask why would we trade Di Aza, and you posed the question better. Also a good selection of other questions about other players.

How are the Angels flush in cash?

In the link they said they are under budget by 15-20 million or so.

Well I was suggesting trying to send DeAza to LAD. Crawford and Puig are both on the DL with injuries that could easily reoccur.

Missed this at the time of the post. Potentially a good turn of events for the Prioles.

I totally forgot about David Lough. That's six guys for three positions. He is the guy I would look to move first, but I would still wait at least until midseason to see how it plays out with injuries and performance.

Right, so we're back to the Lough vs. de Aza argument. I've said my piece on that.

I don't like having both Lough and Snider wasting away on the bench. It's counter productive to horde six outfielders just in case there are some injuries, particularly when we have some depth in AAA. Everyone's playing time is so sporadic no one can get in a groove.

Archived