MLB rules question / batted ball hitting baserunner

InsideCoroner

Last night's Dodgers and Giants games, where a ball in play hit a baserunner to end the game, made me wonder... let's say you have a runner on second with one out. The runner breaks, the batter hits a liner towards short, and it hits the runner in the helmet, with the ball being "headed" into the third-base stands, unlikely as that may be.

Obviously the runner on second is out (and quite possibly dead), but what is the ruling on the batter? Is it declared a dead ball and would he be awarded first, or second?

Last night's Dodgers and Giants games, where a ball in play hit a baserunner to end the game, made me wonder... let's say you have a runner on second with one out. The runner breaks, the batter hits a liner towards short, and it hits the runner in the helmet, with the ball being "headed" into the third-base stands, unlikely as that may be.

Obviously the runner on second is out (and quite possibly dead), but what is the ruling on the batter? Is it declared a dead ball and would he be awarded first, or second?

I think that when a runner is struck, the ball is dead. Immediately. So back to previous base for any base runner not out. But the batter? I can't see that he gets a base at all.

In the scenario that you describe the hitter would be awarded first base.

Further, He is credited with a single as well.

The ball is declared dead as soon as it hits the runner, so it does not matter if it lands out of play.

Here is a link on how the situation is scored.

https://baseballscoring.wordpress.com/.../did-you-know-batted-ball-hittin..

In the scenario that you describe the hitter would be awarded first base.

Further, He is credited with a single as well.

The ball is declared dead as soon as it hits the runner, so it does not matter if it lands out of play.

Here is a link on how the situation is scored.

https://baseballscoring.wordpress.com/.../did-you-know-batted-ball-hittin..

Good info. Thanks.

Archived