Jimmy Having Himself a Hit Parede(s)

Yardball85

I won't pretend to know what is going on with Paredes. But you could count the number of MVP-caliber performances following seasons where a guy was waived after being the 10th-best player on a AAA team on zero fingers.

J.D. Martinez was kinda like that though.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe our new hitting coach has helped him by correcting something in his swing or hitting approach?

Possibly, but he hit .300/.800 during his call-up last year at the end of the season, which was better than anyone expected given his minor league numbers (.826, .805, and .789 in three years of AAA). Even that level of performance folks were saying was unsustainable in MLB. Now he his hitting .346/1.001.

I have to think there is a combination of "stars aligning" here - some of this a higher "new normal," some good luck, some confidence from a hot streak, maybe a mechanics tweak that's working.

If he could replicate his best minor league numbers and maintain .290/.800 with 10-15 HR that would still be a massive coup for the O's.

I'm not counting on an MVP-caliber performance out of Paredes, but I have to say, just watching him at the plate both last year and this one, he just looks pretty darned good up there. And I'm not just talking about the results (though I'm sure they influence my perception a lot). He's got a nice stance, a nice swing, a good approach and is pretty strong. I'm not going to assume that he's sub-.700 OPS guy in the long term, based on what I'm seeing.

There's a difference between looking good and being good. There's a difference between being good and being "locked in."

I've shot 66 on a golf course. And I've shot 100. I'm not good at all but I've had my streaks.

There's a difference between looking good and being good. There's a difference between being good and being "locked in."

I've shot 66 on a golf course. And I've shot 100. I'm not good at all but I've had my streaks.

And that's not saying we (Buck) doesn't ride this horse into the ground until he drops. :P

To shot 66 you have to be good!:) That's not a score for a streaky player. If you said 78 to 100 that is believable.

I played four rounds in April and on one of them I shot a 66. On the front nine.

I played four rounds in April and on one of them I shot a 66. On the front nine.

You and I should play together sometime. Though I can't remember the last time I played four rounds of golf in a month, and it's been at least five years since I played four rounds in a year.

Note that all of my prior comments were about Paredes from the left side as I haven't seen him much from the right side. He didn't look nearly as good during the last two games from the right side.

That seems to be pretty common situation. They probably have less than 25% of their AB's from the right side, usually less power. Didn't Roberts have trouble from the right side until late in his career and Wieters hasn't had the numbers there either (I think). Some here were wondering why he doesn't just stay on the left side.

You and I should play together sometime. Though I can't remember the last time I played four rounds of golf in a month, and it's been at least five years since I played four rounds in a year.
My kind of golf right there. If my score starts with a 9, I'm ecstatic.

Since kids (2007) I've played a lot less. But my division at work now has a twice-annual golf weekend where a bunch of us get away and play three or four rounds. So in the last year I've played nine rounds - four on the fall trip, four on the spring trip, and one other. That's just enough to be frustratingly bad. Like two brilliant shots on a long par five, setting me up lying 20 yards from the green for my third shot. And then picking up for double par.

That seems to be pretty common situation. They probably have less than 25% of their AB's from the right side, usually less power. Didn't Roberts have trouble from the right side until late in his career and Wieters hasn't had the numbers there either (I think). Some here were wondering why he doesn't just stay on the left side.

Wieters is much much better from the right side.

Since kids (2007) I've played a lot less. But my division at work now has a twice-annual golf weekend where a bunch of us get away and play three or four rounds. So in the last year I've played nine rounds - four on the fall trip, four on the spring trip, and one other. That's just enough to be frustratingly bad. Like two brilliant shots on a long par five, setting me up lying 20 yards from the green for my third shot. And then picking up for double par.

I've actually played a lot more since turning 30 fairly recently (2013). I'm now too out of shape and injury prone to continue playing competitive soccer so I've downgraded to co-ed rec leagues and softball has begun to bore me. I've turned to the old man games that I'll now play forever: golf and bowling.

I'm still bad at golf but improving slowly. I joined the Baltimore chapter of the Mediocre Golf Association and it's a blast.

I've actually played a lot more since turning 30 fairly recently (2013). I'm now too out of shape and injury prone to continue playing competitive soccer so I've downgraded to co-ed rec leagues and softball has begun to bore me. I've turned to the old man games that I'll now play forever: golf and bowling.

I'm still bad at golf but improving slowly. I joined the Baltimore chapter of the Mediocre Golf Association and it's a blast.

At 43, almost 44, I'm still playing co-ed competitive indoor soccer! I'll admit I'm the ~9th best player on the team with a roster of 10 or 11.

At 43, almost 44, I'm still playing co-ed competitive indoor soccer! I'll admit I'm the ~9th best player on the team with a roster of 10 or 11.

I'm sure I will be too, that's the game I'll never be able to give up. However, playing with 18-24 kids in high level men's leagues both indoor and outdoor take their toll when you're approaching 30 and don't have the same time to stay in top physical condition anymore. A shoulder surgery and two knee surgeries later and competitive co-ed leagues it is from now on. It's a much more relaxed game and safer for me :)

I definitely miss the intensity sometimes though. I don't know where you play indoor but I played in La Liga (the first division men's league) at Soccerdome in Jessup for over a decade. That league is intense, like fist fights breaking out on a weekly basis intense. That was the first one I gave up.

Archived