Jimmy Having Himself a Hit Parede(s)

Yardball85

At 43, almost 44, I'm still playing co-ed competitive indoor soccer! I'll admit I'm the ~9th best player on the team with a roster of 10 or 11.

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since kids (2007) I've played a lot less. But my division at work now has a twice-annual golf weekend where a bunch of us get away and play three or four rounds. So in the last year I've played nine rounds - four on the fall trip, four on the spring trip, and one other. That's just enough to be frustratingly bad. Like two brilliant shots on a long par five, setting me up lying 20 yards from the green for my third shot. And then picking up for double par.

This describes every par 5 for me. Decent drive. Shank a 4 iron. Save myself with a 7 iron. Chip onto the green (I'm usually happy to be on the green in 4 or 5, even if I'm 80 yards from the hole still), and then 3 putt.

My usual score now is in the 100-110 range. My goal is under 100, which I've done once. Maybe if I played more than once a month I could do better, but...

I'm sure I will be too, that's the game I'll never be able to give up. However, playing with 18-24 kids in high level men's leagues both indoor and outdoor take their toll when you're approaching 30 and don't have the same time to stay in top physical condition anymore. A shoulder surgery and two knee surgeries later and competitive co-ed leagues it is from now on. It's a much more relaxed game and safer for me :)

I definitely miss the intensity sometimes though. I don't know where you play indoor but I played in La Liga (the first division men's league) at Soccerdome in Jessup for over a decade. That league is intense, like fist fights breaking out on a weekly basis intense. That was the first one I gave up.

I'm quite sure the Leonard Hall Indoor League in Leonardtown is a step or 12 below what you're used to. Years ago there seemed to be more physical stuff, red cards, altercations, etc. But it's reasonably laid back even among the competitive division now.

In Fangraphs, non-golf related :D, but regarding Paredes:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-potential-new-j-d-martinez/

"I don't know exactly how different things are, but from appearances, Paredes is swinging with a better idea, and he's improved his plate coverage."

"Paredes looks like he's just more committed to hitting the ball and hitting it hard."

"Paredes worked out this off-season with players like Nelson Cruz and Robinson Cano. Eric Byrnes thinks there are some similarities between Cano and Paredes at the plate."

This describes every par 5 for me. Decent drive. Shank a 4 iron. Save myself with a 7 iron. Chip onto the green (I'm usually happy to be on the green in 4 or 5, even if I'm 80 yards from the hole still), and then 3 putt.

My usual score now is in the 100-110 range. My goal is under 100, which I've done once. Maybe if I played more than once a month I could do better, but...

This is how that hole went:

1. First shot: 220ish yard drive into fairway.

2. Second shot: Fantastic 175ish yard fairway hybrid, cutting the corner of a big dogleg left, over an ungodly giant wasteland of a bunker that resembled the Sarlaac Pit to within 20 yards of the green.

3. Never found the frickin' ball. Drop, take penalty.

4. Hit pitching wedge into bunker 10 feet away.

5. Hit sand wedge five feet, rolls back to me.

6. Hit sand wedge seven feet, rolls back to me.

7. Hit sand wedge five feet.

8. Hit ball with sand wedge as it's rolling back to me the third time and I'm cursing at golf, and miraculously it lands on the upper tier of a giant two-tiered green. Pin is on lower tier. Probably should have taken additional penalty for hitting ball before it stopped rolling. If that had in any way mattered...

9. Putt off the top tier to the lower tier, then it rolls off the front of the green into the rough.

10. Tell someone to throw my ball into the woods as I stomp back to the cart mumbling and twitching.

o

I was running another marathon (the inaugural Warwick Marathon) myself on this day:

[video=youtube;epUC3aN6ouw]

I'll never forget Benjamin Peredes.

Paredes also made the Mexican Olympic team 2 years later by coming in 2nd place in that country's Olympic Trials for the marathon ...... behind none other than German Silva, the same man who ran past him after making the wrong turn in the N.Y.C. Marathon two years earlier.

This is how that hole went:

1. First shot: 220ish yard drive into fairway.

2. Second shot: Fantastic 175ish yard fairway hybrid, cutting the corner of a big dogleg left, over an ungodly giant wasteland of a bunker that resembled the Sarlaac Pit to within 20 yards of the green.

3. Never found the frickin' ball. Drop, take penalty.

4. Hit pitching wedge into bunker 10 feet away.

5. Hit sand wedge five feet, rolls back to me.

6. Hit sand wedge seven feet, rolls back to me.

7. Hit sand wedge five feet.

8. Hit ball with sand wedge as it's rolling back to me the third time and I'm cursing at golf, and miraculously it lands on the upper tier of a giant two-tiered green. Pin is on lower tier. Probably should have taken additional penalty for hitting ball before it stopped rolling. If that had in any way mattered...

9. Putt off the top tier to the lower tier, then it rolls off the front of the green into the rough.

10. Tell someone to throw my ball into the woods as I stomp back to the cart mumbling and twitching.

Must spread rep, but this could easily say Dipper up top instead of Drungo. Been there many times my friend.

"I don't know exactly how different things are, but from appearances, Paredes is swinging with a better idea, and he's improved his plate coverage."

"Paredes looks like he's just more committed to hitting the ball and hitting it hard."

"Paredes worked out this off-season with players like Nelson Cruz and Robinson Cano. Eric Byrnes thinks there are some similarities between Cano and Paredes at the plate."

Yes nothing more disappointing than coming to a golf thread, and having it hijacked by some boring discussion of the O's best hitter.

You and I should play together sometime. Though I can't remember the last time I played four rounds of golf in a month, and it's been at least five years since I played four rounds in a year.

My golf life is done. Both shoulders are hamburger. I can't hit the ball out of my shadow anymore.

I heard Paredes interviewed on the radio or the telecast recently. Asked if he's ever been this locked in before. He said Yeah, he's seeing the ball well now. Said once before in AAA (I think) he was locked in for almost the whole year. He said it's a lot of fun when it's going good like this.

So there is some precedent for this. I didn't mean to imply he was a flash in the pan. He might be this good. He might be this good for a year or so. It's just fun to watch tho. Hope he keeps it going.

I heard Paredes interviewed on the radio or the telecast recently. Asked if he's ever been this locked in before. He said Yeah, he's seeing the ball well now. Said once before in AAA (I think) he was locked in for almost the whole year. He said it's a lot of fun when it's going good like this.

So there is some precedent for this. I didn't mean to imply he was a flash in the pan. He might be this good. He might be this good for a year or so. It's just fun to watch tho. Hope he keeps it going.

Yes but did he talk about his golf game?

Archived