Paredes 1B

Jones CF

Davis RF

Weiters DH

Snider LF

Hardy SS

Flaherty 2B

Joseph C

Once Weiters comes back and assuming Jimmy can play 1st. Heck of a lineup. Lough can come in at LF every game we are winning. Against LHP Pearce and Young play and Snider and Joseph sit.

If they were going to use WIEters as a DH he would be back already. It doesn't make any sense to do that. He doesn't hit well enough to warrant it. Not to mention you'd really be weakening defense putting Parades somewhere he has never played and a lumbering Davis in right field.

Jimmy had some more solid ABs in that Wednesday night game, I thought. Beating out an opposite-field infield RBI single, drawing a walk, and (most impressive to me) an opposite-field double off the right-field scoreboard while hitting from the right side, from which he's usually a terrible hitter (career .486 OPS).

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I was pretty impressed with Paredes hustle down the first baseline in the eighth inning yesterday on a fairly routine ground ball to second with two outs. Some would be going 90% in that situation, not Jimmy. It led to two insurance runs. The man doesn't get cheated and is fun to watch bat.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I was pretty impressed with Paredes hustle down the first baseline in the eighth inning yesterday on a fairly routine ground ball to second with two outs. Some would be going 90% in that situation, not Jimmy. It led to two insurance runs. The man doesn't get cheated and is fun to watch bat.

Yep and he followed it up with a dash to the plate and perfect slide to score.

If they were going to use WIEters as a DH he would be back already. It doesn't make any sense to do that. He doesn't hit well enough to warrant it. Not to mention you'd really be weakening defense putting Parades somewhere he has never played and a lumbering Davis in right field.

Have you watched Davis run? He's hardly "lumbering."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that the brighter lights say this is a mirage and he will regress to his mean, but he sure looks like the real deal at the plate. He does every thing. He hits to all fields, beats out IF hits, hits for power, has quality AB from both sides of the plate. How is this possible? Shouldn't the league have a book on him by now?

I know that the brighter lights say this is a mirage and he will regress to his mean, but he sure looks like the real deal at the plate. He does every thing. He hits to all fields, beats out IF hits, hits for power, has quality AB from both sides of the plate. How is this possible? Shouldn't the league have a book on him by now?

Part of me feels like I have heard 100 PA as a bright line for drawing light conclusions. Maybe that is because it is an easy, round arbitrary cutoff point. Jimmy is at 109 PA on the season following tonight's game. For what it's worth, here is what Fangraphs points to as far as sample sizes for assessing offense:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/sample-size/

Stabilization Points for Offense Statistics:

60 PA: Strikeout rate

120 PA: Walk rate

240 PA: HBP rate

290 PA: Single rate

1610 PA: XBH rate

170 PA: HR rate

910 AB: AVG

460 PA: OBP

320 AB: SLG

160 AB: ISO

80 BIP: GB rate

80 BIP: FB rate

600 BIP: LD rate

50 FBs: HR per FB

820 BIP: BABIP

It looks like Paredes's LD% is up a bit this season at a rate fairly consistent with his BABIP. His HR/FB is consistent with last year, but well above career. It could be that he is filling out and getting stronger, considering he is 26 and his highest PA season to date was when he was 22.

Palmer made a comment during his first AB that the scouting report on him is out. He had swung and missed looking fastball on a first pitch breaking ball, ending in a strikeout. But just when you think he might slow down, he has a big game. Still has a 20 game streak with a hit or a walk. I thought this was an experiment while Schoop is out, but he has earned the DH spot and they will have to find a spot for Pearce. Baseball is a crazy game.

Archived