Update on Matt Wieters - Looking like June 4th Return

Redskins Rick

They were talking about this last night on the radio.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/12/matt-wieters-expected-to-be-activated-june-4/

Wieters, who had Tommy John surgery last June 17, was placed on the 60-day disabled list on Sunday, and he?s eligible to return on June 4.

?He should join us then if everything goes well, if we don?t have any setbacks. It may be an every other day scenario,? manager Buck Showalter said.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its good he'll be back I guess, but at this point I'm not sure he's a real upgrade over Caleb. At least Caleb should get the joback next year.

I'm not so sure how much I believe Caleb's gains at the plate are sustainable. The .357 BABIP is obviously fluky and will regress. The numbers say his eye is a tad better this season, but nothing to support the jump in walk rate from 6.2% to 12.6%.

Here's hoping I'm incorrect.

I'm not so sure how much I believe Caleb's gains at the plate are sustainable. The .357 BABIP is obviously fluky and will regress. The numbers say his eye is a tad better this season, but nothing to support the jump in walk rate from 6.2% to 12.6%.

I hope it is, and he will probably be the 2016 starting catcher.

You're probably right. However, Wieters hasn't exactly been an offensive powerhouse so there isn't much of a drop off with Caleb. Wieters is better defensively so it will be nice getting him back if he's healthy.

Obviously as an O's fan, I hope he comes back and makes the All-Star game because of how awesome a month he had! However, I worry that he's not going to contribute positively this year. Arm strength aside, he did not have a single hit in spring training. That worries me.

Obviously as an O's fan, I hope he comes back and makes the All-Star game because of how awesome a month he had! However, I worry that he's not going to contribute positively this year. Arm strength aside, he did not have a single hit in spring training. That worries me.

And Boras wanted him as a DH:)

It'll be over a year since he's lasted played in a major league game once he returns. I don't expect him to be in form for a little while, and thats a tough pill to swallow when you have a catcher who's currently playing very well.

It'll be over a year since he's lasted played in a major league game once he returns. I don't expect him to be in form for a little while, and thats a tough pill to swallow when you have a catcher who's currently playing very well.

Not really.

You spell CJ 2-3 games a week and maybe he gets a game or two at DH.

Matt gets some time at DH and some time at Catcher.

What it impacts is Paredes. Does his glove play well enough for them to plug him in at 2rd?

If and When Wieters is with the Orioles, he will start.

We know that he won't be here after this season (since that bridge has been burned years ago) so baring any injury he will be the starter and Caleb will be the back-up. Buck may decide to give him more days off or some games at DH.

I think Matt is one of Bucks guys. He's gread catcher and well respected in the club house. I really couldn't see Buck benching him or "limited" playing time.

Archived