Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

• 2 weeks later...

If the O’s winning the WS is a 100 on the joy meter, winning the pennant is a 90, winning the division title is an 80 and making the playoffs is a 70, then I’d say the Yankees finishing under .500 would be about a 69.9 for me.   Man I’m enjoying their current miserable play.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

If the O’s winning the WS is a 100 on the joy meter, winning the pennant is a 90, winning the division title is an 80 and making the playoffs is a 70, then I’d say the Yankees finishing under .500 would be about a 69.9 for me.   Man I’m enjoying their current miserable play.  

It might be a 101 for me LOL. 

Obviously not better than a World Series win but it isn’t that far off!  And almost as rare. 

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

08/24/23: Orioles beat the Jays 5-3 and the Yankees lose 6-5 to the Nats.

I will admit it I will be rooting for the Yankees the next 3 games.  I am not expecting much.  I will take one out of 3.  Veteran teams like them where many of them have been paid and aren’t playing for the next bigger contracts have packed it in.  The know their manager will not be there next year.  Just not a good combination.  

• 5 weeks later...

The Yankees lost and were eliminated from the postseason race today. 

It's the first time the Yankees missed the playoffs since 2016, and just the fifth time they've missed the playoffs since 1995. 

I read that it's the first time both the Yankees and Red Sox missed the playoffs since 2014, and the first time the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals all missed the playoffs since 1993. 

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It was nice to see them finish well short of the playoffs, but I was hoping for a sub .500 finish.  Nowhere near the many terrible seasons the O's have had over the last 30 years since the Yankees last finished under .500. 

They’ve still got 3 against Toronto and 3 against the Royals who are on a 6 game win streak. Don’t give up hope yet!!

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It was nice to see them finish well short of the playoffs, but I was hoping for a sub .500 finish.  Nowhere near the many terrible seasons the O's have had over the last 30 years since the Yankees last finished under .500. 

The Yankees have too many resources at their disposal to have those terrible seasons.  They have lost  90 or more games three times since 1913.   Never 100 games in that time frame.  They won 99 last year and to Yankee fans this year feels like our 100 loss seasons.  They haven’t won a World Series since 2009 which is how their fans measure success.  Baseball unlike Football isn’t a level playing field.  

7 minutes ago, accinfo said:

The Yankees have too many resources at their disposal to have those terrible seasons.  They have lost  90 or more games three times since 1913.   Never 100 games in that time frame.  They won 99 last year and to Yankee fans this year feels like our 100 loss seasons.  They haven’t won a World Series since 2009 which is how their fans measure success.  Baseball unlike Football isn’t a level playing field.  

The Yankees have more resources than just about any other teams, but teams like the Red Sox and Mets this year have had much worse years.  The Red Sox in the last 20 years have had payrolls that have been competitive with the Yankees or even higher in some years.  The Red Sox still have had several years well below .500 recently.  It just seems the Yankees have been mostly well run for the last 30+ years in addition to having one of the top payrolls.  It doesn't make it easy on the O's.