It is time for bold moves

Diehard_O's_Fan

The Orioles lost a draft pick to sign Cruz. And subsequently another pick to sign Ubaldo.

They gained a draft pick by letting Cruz walk. So DD is trying to add talent to the farm. But he gets crucified for letting Cruz go. Seems like a double standard.

Ubaldo was signed before Cruz.

I would have gone nuts if the O's lost a #1 to sign a DH to a one year contract.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spending more detracts from the farm system if it means signing free agents that cost you draft choices.

True. Of course, not all signings cost you draft choices. It's a balance that I'm sure is complicated, much more complicated for us when our budget is so far below Boston, New York and Toronto.

True. Of course, not all signings cost you draft choices. It's a balance that I'm sure is complicated, much more complicated for us when our budget is so far below Boston, New York and Toronto.

Only 12 million below the BJ and we know they are tapped out on spending while the O's presumably could add payroll during the season.

Only 12 million below the BJ and we know they are tapped out on spending while the O's presumably could add payroll during the season.

It's looking more likely that we will trade guys like Wieters, Chen and Davis to build the farm if what we get back is better then the supplemental picks we will get for losing them. After 96 wins, I thought we should have spent more and taken risks but at this point, that's water under the bridge. The best thing we can do now is hoard picks and prospects and hope for a miracle turnaround.

It's looking more likely that we will trade guys like Wieters, Chen and Davis to build the farm if what we get back is better then the supplemental picks we will get for losing them. After 96 wins, I thought we should have spent more and taken risks but at this point, that's water under the bridge. The best thing we can do now is hoard picks and prospects and hope for a miracle turnaround.

I think anyone expecting a tradeoff of veterans will be disappointed. There is nothing to suggest DD will do that. Even if they are falling behind but still close.

The failures at the major league level this year have been a double whammy. Having many of the free agents to be struggle hurts in trading them for prospects or getting picks. Granted it seems they turned DeAza into something useful.

I still don't know why you think the O's will get back more in trade for Chen then the pick from the QO. Same possibly for Davis and Wieters.

Unless of course you are worried the O's don't want to spend 3-4 first round draft picks worth on the draft, which is something I have been speculating about.

I think anyone expecting a tradeoff of veterans will be disappointed. There is nothing to suggest DD will do that. Even if they are falling behind but still close.

Why do you think he won't do that? If we're like 6-8 games out of first by July, its something he seriously needs to consider since those guys would have some real value on the market, and we need to inject some life into our farm system. I think we could get an Andrew Miller type of trade for O'Day alone.

Its a little early to say that IMO.

I think this team can turn it around. Not sure they will but the talent is there if guys can get going.

Honestly I think its to early to panic and try to make a splash and its to early to start selling obviously. We can shuffle a piece here or there but I think you ride with the guys you have till at least the first week of July and hopefully by then your seeing progress.

I still don't know why you think the O's will get back more in trade for Chen then the pick from the QO. Same possibly for Davis and Wieters.

Unless of course you are worried the O's don't want to spend 3-4 first round draft picks worth on the draft, which is something I have been speculating about.

Those are the kinds of guys we won't see in the majors for years. We need some real prospects at the AA-AAA level.

Why do you think he won't do that? If we're like 6-8 games out of first by July, its something he seriously needs to consider since those guys would have some real value on the market, and we need to inject some life into our farm system. I think we could get an Andrew Miller type of trade for O'Day alone.

There is zero chance ODay brings back an ERod type. I doubt there will be a bidding war for ODay and even if there is someone will not give up a top prospect. Miller's stuff was just dominant. ODay is prone to losing a little bit on his stuff.

And 6 back isn't really that far back. The second wildcard is making many teams hesitant to throw in the towel. Though there will probably only be one representative from the AL East in the playoffs this year, the division winner.

Those are the kinds of guys we won't see in the majors for years. We need some real prospects at the AA-AAA level.

Sure the draft picks might not see major league time for a while. But probability says they will have higher upside than the majority (or all) of the prospects we get back for trading veterans.

There is zero chance ODay brings back an ERod type. I doubt there will be a bidding war for ODay and even if there is someone will not give up a top prospect. Miller's stuff was just dominant. ODay is prone to losing a little bit on his stuff.

O'Day will probably be the best reliever on the market if he becomes available so I think there could certainly be a bidding war for him. Many teams would want that shut down 7-8th inning guy after seeing recent success teams have had with a great bullpen.

Archived