It is time for bold moves

Diehard_O's_Fan

It is time for bold moves and it is time for Dan and Buck to send the players a message. The Orioles need to release or trade Lough' date=' Synder and Matusz. The Orioles have lots of bullpen and outfield options. It is time to use them. Next man up! There is no excuse for the Orioles to fall any further below 500 than they already are. The Orioles have a good team filled with lots of depth.[/quote']
I don't get why people are so upset about Snider here. He's pretty much playing how you'd expect given his career. Low 7000 OPS with average defense. Heck, he has a higher rWAR than Markakis this year and I doubt people would be calling for Markakis to be cut at this point.

Didn't he say Snyder ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=snyder002bra

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Lough adds absolutely nothing to the team and Travis Snyder has been a huge disappointment. I know guys in Norfolk such as Reimold and Alvarez could offer a lot more to the team than those guys. I wish we could send Tillman a message by having him go to Norfolk. He has been absolutely horrible.

Lough is the best fielding outfielder on the team.

Travis Snider has been about as good as expected, and a roughly average player.

Reimold and Alvarez are hitting similarly to Snider, but they're doing it in AAA. Where the pitching is presumably much worse.

And do you really believe that Tillman is unaware of his performance? It seems unlikely that sending him to his room.... I mean Norfolk, would suddenly cause him to think "wow, until now I didn't know pitching poorly was a bad idea, but now I do!"

David Lough adds absolutely nothing to the team and Travis Snyder has been a huge disappointment. I know guys in Norfolk such as Reimold and Alvarez could offer a lot more to the team than those guys. I wish we could send Tillman a message by having him go to Norfolk. He has been absolutely horrible.

I don't see Nolan as being a real upgrade. I am sorry but those moves now would

be panic moves. IMO

Reimold and Alvarez are hitting similarly to Snider, but they're doing it in AAA. Where the pitching is presumably much worse.

And do you really believe that Tillman is unaware of his performance? It seems unlikely that sending him to his room.... I mean Norfolk, would suddenly cause him to think "wow, until now I didn't know pitching poorly was a bad idea, but now I do!"

But they are doing it in Harbor Park which is a much more pitcher friendly ballpark.

I think the time for bold moves was in the off-season. Now is the time to guard our prospects and add more. The number one job DD had when he came here was building the farm and that is by no means finished.

Dead on.

But they are doing it in Harbor Park which is a much more pitcher friendly ballpark.
I know I've made the case in the past that someone on the Tides could hit almost as well in the majors because of the difficulty in hitting there. I backed off a bit after they shortened the dimensions a few years ago. But it's still a pitcher's park.

Snider is going to give us the same amount of production as Nick in the OF, let him play. Even with his baserunning errors (at least he was on base, which is saying alot these days) and defensive lapses, I think he is the best option. I think Young/Lough can give you as much production as our LF's did last year. We are hurting right now in the DH, CF, SS and 2B department. Jones will get healthy, as will hopefully Hardy and Schoop. DH, that's the question I've had all off season, but I would not have paid for Cruz.

I think the time for bold moves was in the off-season. Now is the time to guard our prospects and add more. The number one job DD had when he came here was building the farm and that is by no means finished.

Wasn't the number one job getting us to the playoffs? Since when was building the farm his number one priority?

Wasn't the number one job getting us to the playoffs? Since when was building the farm his number one priority?

Getting to the playoffs is important, but keeping realistic expectations and not panicking is a part of being a GM as well. Right now you can't panic and start trading off prospects or cutting players and eating their salary because we're 6 games under .500. We need to do a wait and see approach to see if its worth making moves come July instead of taking that risk when it more than likely will negatively impact our farm.

I always thought making the playoffs would be a result of building the farm system. I was very pleasantly surprised by the immediate success but realize that long term, it can only be sustained by having a top notch farm system. I've advocated spending more but spending more doesn't detract from building the farm system.

I always thought making the playoffs would be a result of building the farm system. I was very pleasantly surprised by the immediate success but realize that long term, it can only be sustained by having a top notch farm system. I've advocated spending more but spending more doesn't detract from building the farm system.

Spending more detracts from the farm system if it means signing free agents that cost you draft choices.

Lough is the best fielding outfielder on the team? Wow, somebody must have lowered the bar to "who can run the fastest in the grass?".

-Adam Jones

The Orioles lost a draft pick to sign Cruz. And subsequently another pick to sign Ubaldo.

They gained a draft pick by letting Cruz walk. So DD is trying to add talent to the farm. But he gets crucified for letting Cruz go. Seems like a double standard.

Archived