You do realize that We are officially out of the Wild Card

weams

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

We have a half-game lead for the last wildcard with 48 games still left to be played.

So we're essentially like a basketball team that has a one-point lead with the whole 4th quarter still left to be played, and we're hoping that we can "hold onto the lead." :rolleyes:

As usual, all I care about is winning our next game, which happens to be tomorrow against the Athletics.

o

We have a half-game lead for the last wildcard with 48 games still left to be played.

So we're essentially like a basketball team that has a one-point lead with the whole 4th quarter still left to be played, and we're hoping that we can "hold onto the lead." :rolleyes:

As usual, all I care about is winning our next game, which happens to be tomorrow against the Athletics.

Which is not to say that I am not happy about the fact that the Angels just lost (I am), or about our current 3-game winning streak (I am.)

I'm simply putting the overall picture in perspective.

The Orioles have to win ...... much more so than they need the Yankees, the Blue Jays, the Angels, etc. to lose.

It's Angels or bust. Yankees will be other WC.

Angels have most cracks out of realistic WC contenders

In my rat's ass of an opinion, it is still too early to able to tell any of that.

3 days ago the Yankees were reeling BADLY, and every reactionary was saying that there is no way that they would be able to hold off the Blue Jays.

They went into Toronto and promptly beat them 2 out of 3 games ...... and all of a sudden, the Blue Jays are not a sure lock for the division title anymore.

The Angels could win 5 or 6 in a row, the Astros could lose a few games, and all of a sudden the Angels will be in 1st place again (as they were not too long ago when they went 17-3 over a 20-game stretch), and people will be talking about the Astros as a possible wildcard.

Last year, it was clear that the Orioles were the dominant team in the A.L. East by late August. Shortly after that, the Angels blew their division wide open in the West.

This season, I think that the Royals are the only team in the A.L. that is head-and-shoulders above the rest in terms of the regular season. I don't think any of the other teams that are all fighting for division titles and/or wildcard births (the Yankees, the Orioles, the Blue Jays, the Angels, or the Astros, etc.) have won consistently enough for anyone to be able to foresee who will make it to the postseason and/or what type of postseason birth that they will get (division title or a wildcard) at this point.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, it is still too early to able to tell any of that.

3 days ago the Yankees were reeling BADLY, and every reactionary was saying that there is no way that they would be able to hold off the Blue Jays.

They went into Toronto and promptly beat them 2 out of 3 games ...... and all of a sudden, the Blue Jays are not a sure lock for the division title anymore.

The Angels could win 5 or 6 in a row, the Astros could lose a few games, and all of a sudden the Angels will be in 1st place again (as they were not too long ago when they went 17-3 over a 20-game stretch), and people will be talking about the Astros as a possible wildcard.

Last year, it was clear that the Orioles were the dominant team in the A.L. East by late August. Shortly after that, the Angels blew their division wide open in the West.

This season, I think that the Royals are the only team in the A.L. that is head-and-shoulders above the rest in terms of the regular season. I don't think any of the other teams that are all fighting for division titles and/or wildcard births (the Yankees, the Orioles, the Blue Jays, the Angels, or the Astros, etc.) have won consistently enough for anyone to be able to foresee who will make it to the postseason and/or what type of postseason birth that they will get (division title or a wildcard) at this point.

No worries it's just my rats ass opinion too ;)

I have always felt angels are most flawed of teams holding playoff positions.

And I do feel like Texas will give angels fits. Guess we will see who can handle it the best rangers, angels or orioles. Rays don't have enough offense to hang IMO...not in the AL

o

This is a very good analogy -- except that there are more than two teams playing in this game! Miles to go before we sleep. But at least we are in the game, and our chances are as good as anyone's.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don't be mislead by calendar. Tomorrow is Aug. 17 but there's still seven weeks left in the MLB season, which ends Oct. 4. Long way to go.</p>— Phil Rogers (@philgrogers) <a href="

">August 17, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think there are many teams that would bounce back from getting no-hit with 2 straight walk-off homer wins and a demolition win. Their boucebackatudeness is remarkable. Just when you think they're out of it is when they start playing their best.

Archived