Ubaldo Jimenez Contract, an Alternate Look/Question

BohKnowsBmore

2015 Ubaldo at $24.5M...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. 2015 Ubaldo at $24.5M...

• Would be a great deal!
    • Would be a slightly good deal (a little excess value).
    • Would be about right for a FA.
    • Would be a slightly bad deal (a bit of an overpay).
    • Would be way overpaid!

I want to be clear. THAT comment wasn't saying that if you win 10 games you get 10 million. I wasn't saying that at all.I WAS saying that for all the factors; age, innings, durability, WHIP . ERA and many others, you still see that if you win 10 games in the majors you get close to 10 million. 20 wins or close to it could get you 20 million and so on. I know many of you scoff at the "headline" of the comment. IT IS NOT SAYING IN ANY WAY THAT THAT IS THE ONLY CRITERIA . It just ends up with a million dollars a win.In the case of Kershaw and someone like Felix. well, they get even more.

OK, Roy.

I did have that portion as part of your comment:

o

THURSDAY, MAY 14th:

SCOTT GARCEAU: O Money for pitchers ???

ROY FIRESTONE: O You know what it has come down to ??? A million dollars per win. If a starter wins 10 games, he will get $10 Million per year. If a starter wins 15 games, he will get $15 Million per year. If a starter wins 20 games, he will get $20 Million per year, and so forth. Although there are many other statistics that factor into the effectiveness of a starting pitcher, teams and GM's really pay attention to wins a lot.

And a win is not a very accurate reflection of a pitcher's performance. The "win" statistic is highly over-rated. It's betterto look at ERA or WHIP.

I agree with that, as does Roy.

As recently as 2010, Felix Hernandez won a Cy Young Award with a record of 13-12 (as he should have.)

Roy was stating that owners and GM's tend to put a premium on wins, not that he necessarily agrees with that ...... and/or that wins coincidentally wind up mirroring a starting pitcher's salary much of the time.

What sane person thinks that any starting pitcher -- or for that matter, any MLB player -- is worth $24.5 M? But that's the market rate these days. Teams are willing to pay that much. Actually, $24.5M has become a bargain rate in the market. Most FA starting pitchers are getting a lot more, and some of them have had horrendous years during the term of their contracts.

There seems to be an error in judgment here. $24.5 is a bargain for a long term contract. But definitely not for one year. Only two pitchers are making that much or more per year.

There seems to be an error in judgment here. $24.5 is a bargain for a long term contract. But definitely not for one year. Only two pitchers are making that much or more per year.
So what is the point of this poll? Ubaldo has a 4 year contract, not a 1 year contract. He had a crappy year during his 1st year. Wallace, Chiti, and R. Martinez, as well as Ubaldo himself, put in a lot of work to fix that. So far, Ubaldo is having a good year this year. There is no reason right now to believe that next year, Ubaldo won't perform at a similar level as in 2015.

Archived