Schoop back soon?

mdbdotcom

Yikes. Well that is certainly one of the more hyperbolic interpretations of 'nugget' that I can imagine.

That said, I like the fielding, love the arm, and the guy can and will presumably hit us some dingers. (But) for years Robbie was the 1st guy that I would've picked if I were building a team from scratch, and I do not expect to ever feel that way about Jonathan.

I don't know about Cano, but I could see Schoop hitting 30 homeruns. That said, Roy may be right about this one. The guy is so young with seemingly very high potential. He and Machado could be huge stars for years.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys want to hand over the starting 2B to this slash line:

.209/.244/.354 - .598 OPS, 66 OPS+

?

122 strikeouts in 481 plate appearances. Yes, phenomenal defensively but that bat was terrible except for the occasional homer. And now he'd be coming up with a slightly bum knee?

Let the guy dominate in the minors (AA, AAA). He's never done that.

To be fair, what is that line from, like 8 ABs in AA? He was OPSing .940 through 9 games. That's what people are excited about.

But I agree, he has to prove he's healthy and that his timing is down.

That's his slash line from last season. I think he is improved from that, but I'm not sure how much at this point. He was looking good at the beginning of the season. Small sample size, though.

If and when Schoop comes back to the team. I also think Flaherty moves to SS for a game a week, and gives Hardy a spell and helps keep him around all season.

If? I don't mean to spoil this for you Rick, but Schoop will be coming back.

Two reasons to give Schoop time in the MiL: get his bat going and give them time to trade a COF.

I'll add to that with a third reason: additional service time.

I think the O's should activate him and then option him to Triple-A, let him spend a few weeks down there. You gain the extra year of service and then you also allow time for a trade or a need for him to come back up (injury or ineffectiveness, etc).

If his performance demands he be recalled before a few weeks are up, then so be it, but with the inflexibility in the roster, there is no reason to rush him back.

Nothing to spoil.

Yes, Schoop is coming back and I want him back, but 100% healthy and with the rust gone.

Cool. Normally the "if and when" construction is used when a player is about to undergo labrum surgery, not when a player is 1-11 in his minor league rehab.

Cool. Normally the "if and when" construction is used when a player is about to undergo labrum surgery, not when a player is 1-11 in his minor league rehab.

Sorry, some people expect him back the very first date he is eligible, and some want the team to option him for part of the year, so the team gets another year of control for him.

I think the exact date he returns, is something Buck and DD are playing "Top-Secret" hush-hush with.

I'll add to that with a third reason: additional service time.

I think the O's should activate him and then option him to Triple-A, let him spend a few weeks down there. You gain the extra year of service and then you also allow time for a trade or a need for him to come back up (injury or ineffectiveness, etc).

If his performance demands he be recalled before a few weeks are up, then so be it, but with the inflexibility in the roster, there is no reason to rush him back.

Schoop has 27 days over a year of service time, so he needs 145 days this season to reach a full two seasons. If he were sent down tomorrow, he would have to be down until August 1st to gain that extra year of service time.

Schoop has 27 days over a year of service time, so he needs 145 days this season to reach a full two seasons. If he were sent down tomorrow, he would have to be down until August 1st to gain that extra year of service time.

1 August, is only 2 weeks past the ASG, which is when some posters have projected we might see Schoop back.

Archived