Our pending free agents

primetime

In reading various media coverage and perusing several threads here, any time there is a discussion/comment on Davis, Wieters, Chen, O'Day, etc; it's in the context of, or quickly followed by something like "player X will be gone next year." Or "enjoy him while he's here."

It got me thinking a bit, so I looked at what the pending FAs are making this year and it totals a pinch over $51 million. (That included DeAza's salary)

So I ask this, with $51 mill coming off the books, why is it the popular sentiment that we will not retain any of our own FAs? We're going to need baseball players to fill those spots and we may have some internal candidates to step in but not every spot. Does it make sense to go entirely outside the organization to fill spots? Why can't we retain some our pending FAs? Furthermore, is it advisable to do so?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that we need to keep at least some of our pending FAs. I don't think that it makes sense to go entirely outside the organization to fill all of those spots.

My own take on who we should try to retain (not necessarily in this order):

1. Darren O'Day. We need this guy back. If possible, resign him before the season is done. Unlike some on OH, I don't believe that all relievers are simply machine parts that can be easily replaced. It would be quite difficult, if not impossible to replace O'Day.

2. Matt Wieters. Earlier, I was all in favor of letting him go. But he has shown such ability since his return. His hitting is up, he can throw runners out. If he continues with this pace, I say spend some money to try and retain him. A counter argument is that Caleb Joseph can do the catching job perfectly well, and this argument might have a point. So we probably shouldn't break the bank to retain Wieters. But we should make a run.

3. Wei-Yin Chen. Unless we can land Hamels in a trade, we do need a quality LHP in our rotation. With all of the scuttlebutt over his having been optioned to Frederick, this might be impossible, also Boras is his agent. But make a run for him.

The way Wieters has played since he's returned (and Joseph's subsequent cooling off) has changed my thought process on him. He's probably the guy I'd like to wrap up the most. Plus, he had a year of not catching that could help buy him an extra year behind the dish.

Easy, Davis, Wieters, and Chen = Boras (SEE YA it was nice knowing ya.) ;)

O's WILL NOT overpay for a reliever in O'Day. Depends on what he's offered, there's a small chance to retain him, maybe.

It's not a good idea to see all relievers, including O'Day as replaceable machine parts. O'Day is someone special and we need to at least try to retain him.

I believe that we need to keep at least some of our pending FAs. I don't think that it makes sense to go entirely outside the organization to fill all of those spots.

My own take on who we should try to retain (not necessarily in this order):

1. Darren O'Day. We need this guy back. If possible, resign him before the season is done. Unlike some on OH, I don't believe that all relievers are simply machine parts that can be easily replaced. It would be quite difficult, if not impossible to replace O'Day.

2. Matt Wieters. Earlier, I was all in favor of letting him go. But he has shown such ability since his return. His hitting is up, he can throw runners out. If he continues with this pace, I say spend some money to try and retain him. A counter argument is that Caleb Joseph can do the catching job perfectly well, and this argument might have a point. So we probably shouldn't break the bank to retain Wieters. But we should make a run.

3. Wei-Yin Chen. Unless we can land Hamels in a trade, we do need a quality LHP in our rotation. With all of the scuttlebutt over his having been optioned to Frederick, this might be impossible, also Boras is his agent. But make a run for him.

#1. Maybe they didnt over spend for Miller, because they already had O'Day here. Hoping they push to keep O'Day.

#2. As much as I want to see Matt stay, my brain, says it isn't happening. Somebody is going to overpay for his services.

#3. I think the media is making more out of the Chen thing, then Chen himself feels. Just my opinion. This is all agent hype and agent anger over the situation. Again, IMO.

It's not a good idea to see all relievers, including O'Day as replaceable machine parts. O'Day is someone special and we need to at least try to retain him.

I agree about this. Relief pitching is volatile to a certain extent, but O'Day is as close to a sure thing as there is. Also, relief pitching has become an increasingly important role in MLB.

In reading various media coverage and perusing several threads here, any time there is a discussion/comment on Davis, Wieters, Chen, O'Day, etc; it's in the context of, or quickly followed by something like "player X will be gone next year." Or "enjoy him while he's here."

It got me thinking a bit, so I looked at what the pending FAs are making this year and it totals a pinch over $51 million. (That included DeAza's salary)

So I ask this, with $51 mill coming off the books, why is it the popular sentiment that we will not retain any of our own FAs? We're going to need baseball players to fill those spots and we may have some internal candidates to step in but not every spot. Does it make sense to go entirely outside the organization to fill spots? Why can't we retain some our pending FAs? Furthermore, is it advisable to do so?

Those FA may cost 53 M this year but next year the ones we would consider having back will cost a lot more. Next year think something like:

C Caleb/Clevenger

1B Parmelee/ Walker

2B Schoop

3B Machado

SS Hardy

LF ???/Snider

CF AJ

RF Alverez

DH Paredes

Flaherty

Lough

Urretia

Pearce

Where did I say that?

Hey I gave it a chance it's possible, but if some team comes in and throws Miller like $$$ or something even close at him he's gone.

Where did I say that?

Hey I gave it a chance it's possible, but if some team comes in and throws Miller like $$$ or something even close at him he's gone.

Depends upon your definition of "overpaid." Also "close at him". Miller was offered closer's money and he took it. Now he's on the DL. I don't think that it will take closer money to keep O'Day.

Some of the other posters here feel that way about relievers.

Hey I wanted to KEEP MILLER, but lets be realistic the O's didn't over pay last year and just because those $$$ come off the books doesn't mean the O's will now magically overpay for O'Day. JMHO ;)

Like I said there's a chance with O'Day, but my gut says some idiot team will throw stupid $$$ at him and it's see ya.

Archived