Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My personal opinion is we keep him until he finishes his arb years. Screw it. Let's try and win.

We can have a better chance to win with the pitchers/position players we'd get in return for him and a more stable future with more money to spend. You would rather let him walk for a draft pick? We can win without

Machado.

We can have a better chance to win with the pitchers/position players we'd get in return for him and a more stable future with more money to spend. You would rather let him walk for a draft pick? We can win without

Machado.

This team has only been a contender since Machado arrived. Not going to say they can't win without him but it isn't so easy to declare that statement.

Think about it. He gets 150 M to cover his arb years and an opt out at age 27 when he can sign another 8-10 year deal for an AAV of 40 M.

The longer he waits to hit free agency the less he will get. A big part of his appeal will be hitting the market after his age 25 season. I wouldn't sacrifice that if I was his agent.

The longer he waits to hit free agency the less he will get. A big part of his appeal will be hitting the market after his age 25 season. I wouldn't sacrifice that if I was his agent.
I'm assuming they offer it next winter. He gets much more for his arb years than the 20 M he would get if he didn't extend. Plus a guaranteed 300M against injury.

This team has only been a contender since Machado arrived. Not going to say they can't win without him but it isn't so easy to declare that statement.

It's not like we're just giving him away for nothing and leaving a void on the team like what would happen if he walked for the pick. We still have Davis, Jones, Rickard and Schoop plus whatever we'd get in return. We'd

be getting three or four really good young players in return possibly more if we added a player or two to the deal to further sweeten the return. Trading Bedard got us a rotation piece and an all star center fielder, so

Machado will bring back even more than that by far. With the returns and what we already have, yes, we can win without him IF we trade him. If we let him walk, that's a whole different story IMO.

It's not like we're just giving him away for nothing and leaving a void on the team like what would happen if he walked for the pick. We still have Davis, Jones, Rickard and Schoop plus whatever we'd get in return. We'd

be getting three or four really good young players in return possibly more if we added a player or two to the deal to further sweeten the return. Trading Bedard got us a rotation piece and an all star center fielder, so

Machado will bring back even more than that by far. With the returns and what we already have, yes, we can win without him IF we trade him. If we let him walk, that's a whole different story IMO.

Surely you see the absurdity with lumping Rickard in with those other 3 after 6 games, right?

For your plan to work, they also have to resign Jones.

Surely you see the absurdity with lumping Rickard in with those other 3 after 6 games, right?

For your plan to work, they also have to resign Jones.

If they don't resign Jones and trade him as well, that's 2-3 more players we'd get on top of Machado's return. Perhaps on Rickard, but I think he's going to be a solid piece for us.

Machado will be underpaid at 40 million a year. The team who signs him gets his prime years.

So last year the Orioles had attendance of 2.285 million. 40 million dollars divided 2.285 million = $17.53 per ticket sold. I would rather save 17.53 a ticket I purchase and Manny can go somewhere else in 3 years. No way the Orioles pay him close to 40 million a year. If that is what it requires to sign him it won't be with the Orioles.

So last year the Orioles had attendance of 2.285 million. 40 million dollars divided 2.285 million = $17.53 per ticket sold. I would rather save 17.53 a ticket I purchase and Manny can go somewhere else in 3 years. No way the Orioles pay him close to 40 million a year. If that is what it requires to sign him it won't be with the Orioles.

Yep, that is how MLB teams make their profits. Ticket sales.

Archived