Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

There is a article from the Baltimore Sun saying Roberts is getting frustrated. He said he loves his teamates and Baltimore but at some point you want to win. I would link it here but I don't know how.

The Sun ran an article about Bedard being ready to move on shortly before that trade was finally consumated, so I'm taking this as another prerequisite to an actual deal.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Money isn't everything. No matter how nice of a house/apartment you can afford, it's not easy to find one you like in less than a week. Not to mention that I think he'd like to leave Baltimore on good terms with the fans so to speak and this thing dragging out is making that harder on him. I think he's told management that he surely wouldn't mind being dealt to a contender but if he's going to stay here he'd really prefer not to be treated like the bag of recycling you carry around in your car until you have time to take it to the recycling center.
What he had to say was a classy way of saying I want to go play for a team with a chance to win.

The Sun ran an article about Bedard being ready to move on shortly before that trade was finally consumated, so I'm taking this as another prerequisite to an actual deal.

Are you suggesting that the FO is influencing the Sun to run such pieces in order to influence fan opinion in favor of the trades?

Are you suggesting that the FO is influencing the Sun to run such pieces in order to influence fan opinion in favor of the trades?

I can't suggest that it's actually happening because I have no evidence whatsoever, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I can't suggest that it's actually happening because I have no evidence whatsoever, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

IF that is the case, that is completely and utterly bush league. If you want to trade a popular player, you trade them, deal with the short-term fan fallout, and have the confidence in the move you made to believe that in a couple of years all the fans will see the wisdom of what you did. If they are intentionally trying to make their soon to be traded stars look like malcontents and the Sun is going along with it that is truly a new low. I'm not saying that's the case, but the fact that intelligent fans who follow the team regularly can even wonder about that speaks volumes about how this franchise has conducted itself. :(

IF that is the case, that is completely and utterly bush league. If you want to trade a popular player, you trade them, deal with the short-term fan fallout, and have the confidence in the move you made to believe that in a couple of years all the fans will see the wisdom of what you did. If they are intentionally trying to make their soon to be traded stars look like malcontents and the Sun is going along with it that is truly a new low. I'm not saying that's the case, but the fact that intelligent fans who follow the team regularly can even wonder about that speaks volumes about how this franchise has conducted itself. :(

I don't know blueberry, to me it's just part of the CYA culture. If it is going on, I don't think any less of the Orioles. Part of me admires them for trying to spin things to their advantage.

IF, anything like this is taking place, the players get to go to contenders, the reporters get to fill some column inches and appear (somewhat) prescient if a deal goes down, and the O's win over - what? a couple out of every 50- fans that haven't already formed an opinion about a possible deal. Everybody wins. Sort of.

I don't know blueberry, to me it's just part of the CYA culture. If it is going on, I don't think any less of the Orioles. Part of me admires them for trying to spin things to their advantage.

IF, anything like this is taking place, the players get to go to contenders, the reporters get to fill some column inches and appear (somewhat) prescient if a deal goes down, and the O's win over - what? a couple out of every 50- fans that haven't already formed an opinion about a possible deal. Everybody wins. Sort of.

No. The Orioles and the Sun are evil... and Georgetown! :mad::P

Sorry, I'm a little bitter right now over the UMBC loss, inevitable though it was. Getting drunk in the afternoon in a losing cause is NOT FUN.

and the cubs would do that why? Having to take payton back is like giving up two prospects so you can take away cedeno & marshall in that scenario. The way marquis has pitched...i'm not sure the infamous payton for marquis even makes sense any more. Word is fukodome may be leading off tomorrow. Keep in mind, the only reason the cubs want roberts is to leadoff so if fuko is a success...the cubs have no need or interest in roberts. Is it fun paying a 30-yr old ex-roid using leadoff hitter $8 mill to finish in last place? His value is dropping every day.

You have to think that this deal is only alive in the media and on message boards at this point. If it were going to happen, it seems like it would have gotten done by now. AM may live to regret holding out for whatever it is that he wants.

If any team is going to want BRob at the deadline, they better get started with their offers now if they want to get a deal done.

Archived