Fangraphs" July 2 Sortable Board

Can_of_corn

I really like Sibrian as a catch-and-throw backstop with some offensive upside when I saw him earlier this spring:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7c0E1WzEmMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6 other teams aren't projected to sign anyone on the list and three teams aren't projected to sign anyone for more than $450K.

The Dodgers and Cubs are going all in this year, and won't be able to sign anyone else for more than $300K the next two years.

The Orioles have the 3rd lowest signing bonus pool this season ($2.002 million) because it is based on the previous year's winning percentage. Hopefully they actually spend it all this year.

6 other teams aren't projected to sign anyone on the list and three teams aren't projected to sign anyone for more than $450K.

The Dodgers and Cubs are going all in this year, and won't be able to sign anyone else for more than $300K the next two years.

The Orioles have the 3rd lowest signing bonus pool this season ($2.002 million) because it is based on the previous year's winning percentage. Hopefully they actually spend it all this year.

The Red Sox and Yankees are in time-out this year.

And take the next two years off? Not worth it.

How is it not worth it? The Orioles take two years off of signing players above $300 K. So, they are missing out on how many potential signings exactly? One? Two? They can sign as many under $300K as they can fit under their cap.

How is it not worth it? The Orioles take two years off of signing players above $300 K. So, they are missing out on how many potential signings exactly? One? Two? They can sign as many under $300K as they can fit under their cap.

How many of guys that fall under this have the O's exceeded 300K on in the past?

How many of guys that fall under this have the O's exceeded 300K on in the past?

I don't know the answer, but I'm certain I could count it on my hands. Reyes, Veloz, Leyba, Alvarez? I don't think Urrutia or Yoon counted towards the cap.

Exactly, not much of a handicap considering their past history.

No argument here. But many of these kids were locked-up a while ago with handshake deals. Maybe Baltimore's simply electing not to play that game, and is content to see what's "left over" (not in a bad way, necessarily) and to focus on the kids that bloom a little later in the process.

If you are taking two years off then you do it right, go way over, sign a ton of guys and go $10 million over like the Yankees and Sox last year or the Dodgers and Cubs this year.

If you are taking two years off then you do it right, go way over, sign a ton of guys and go $10 million over like the Yankees and Sox last year or the Dodgers and Cubs this year.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason that makes sense for those teams is they actually plan to spend regularly in that price range. So they have to sign enough to make it worth sitting out of the deep end for a time. Baltimore doesn't swim in the deep end, so who cares about them being held out for two years?

EDIT -- Actually, let's assume Baltimore intends to maybe sign one or two players over $350K over the next two/three seasons. They should sign that many this year if they plan to go over.

I'm not sure why you think "doing it right" means you have to spend tens of millions in penalties.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blue Jays trade Chase Dejong and Tim Locastro to Dodgers for more international pool money.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">July 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The move enables them to sign Vlad Jr and only be in penalty for one year instead of two.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blue Jays trade Chase Dejong and Tim Locastro to Dodgers for more international pool money.</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="
">July 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The move enables them to sign Vlad Jr and only be in penalty for one year instead of two.

Ridiculous. Dodgers are already way, way over their pool allotment, so they are allowed to trade away pool money to gain prospects? Absurd. Why bother to have rules at all?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Do you know anything about Aneuris Rodriguez other than him being listed at 6’3 180?   Anything beyond his stats?   For all I know he throws 88 mph but has a good curve that can strike out 19 year olds but is a non prospect they just got to eat some innings in the FCL.
    • It is an issue when you run into a situation like last night and these are your two RH options on the bench. Poor roster construction to not have a bat to ball guy in either of those bench spots. Neither has speed either. Just two slightly above avg defenders, who are liabilities with the bat.
    • Good stuff here. Cano’s issue is simple imo…if he gets the ball up, it’s flat and extremely hittable. This was his issue last year and it remains his issues.    It is a bit unlucky to have that many homers on 12 fly balls but he’s also basically putting the ball on a tee when he’s up in the zone, so it’s not surprising the ball gets crushed.
    • Akin is a dime a dozen reliever that is capable of being really good or really bad. If you cut him today, you wouldn’t notice he was gone.
    • In terms of on the field and strictly talking about players, my biggest concern/question was the bullpen and it still is. However, the biggest question that I felt was looming over this team and the organization as a whole was how many young players is too many and when do you bring these guys up? In a year of contention, how many guys do you want “learning on the job” while still focusing on winning?     These are not easy decisions to make, especially when you have competent vet players that should produce at a level that helps the team, even if you feel the young players are more talented. Fast forward to right now.  Holliday came up and struggled and he controls his path to get back.  Mayo may have been close to a call up but he got hurt.  Now, he may be looking at late July/early August before he’s a factor here. Cowser has cemented himself as an everyday player despite his poor and unlucky numbers this month. But he takes arguably the best at bats on the team, is hitting the ball hard and is playing very good defense. Stowers is potentially getting himself in at least a role as the strong side platoon player in the OF. Kjerstad came up and was up and down but he he only had a few sporadic at bats and wasn’t given the proper chance. The other side to this are the vets and many of them have had a lot of issues.  Hays has been awful outside of that glimmer of hope for a few days when he came back off the IL.   He has an OPS+ of 28, a wRC+ of 24, to go along with mediocre at best statcast numbers. Mullins isn’t much better.  His statcast numbers are poor, his OPS+ is 68 and his wRC+ is 65. He is still playing good defense, so that’s good but he hasn’t been good with the bat at all. Santander is hitting 203 and has a sub 300 OBP. He has two 3 hit games this year and if you take those away, he’s hitting 158 And his OPS is closer to 600 than 700. Urias has been surpassed by Mateo and is barely playing and when he is playing, he’s not hitting at all. Mateo has exceeded expectations and looks like he should keep the UTI role this year but we all know the offensive downturn is very likely coming and going off the idea that he is 5 for his last 31, that downturn may have already started.  Still, he has a role here. Mountcastle and OHearn have been up and down but have remained relatively steady to the point where they playing them the amount they are, isn’t really hurting the team. Luckily the team is realizing they aren’t everyday guys, so that helps. I believe Santander will get things going but I’m becoming more and more skeptical about Hays and Mullins.  Mullins is showing some signs lately and has been much better than Hays and the team is playing him less, so I guess that’s good. But Hays is a problem. They need his RH bat but he’s not hitting anything and he’s swinging at awful pitches and he has largely been awful for the last 5 months of baseball. The question of, how much youth is too much is being answered and the answer is, there isn’t “too much” if some of the vets are going to continue to be non factors. If I were the Os, I would send down Hays for Kjerstad or Norby. Norby needs to be able to play OF defense up here but if he can, his RH bat may be valuable. Holliday will be up once he gets hot, so that will take care of itself and like I said, Mayo has to get healthy and playing again. The starting pitching has been better than we thought, so they have been able to keep the team winning through some of these offensive droughts but when you have the talent the Os do in the minors, you can’t keep holding guys back as you hope for these vets to start hitting. The Os have rightfully recognized that none of these vets are everyday guys, so they have at least taken that away but it may be time to do more than that.
    • I’ll take the May version in relief.  
    • Also have to keep in mind that Cano has the toughest job on the team. He gets the middle of the order every time and those matchups are occasionally going to result in a crushing home run. His numbers look about like they did in the second half last year--not elite, but still very good. Needs to work on misses in the zone that get hit hard. 
  • Popular Contributors