2015 Norfolk Tides: Best Record in International League

OFFNY

Bring it!

The comment on such a low farm system rating is intriguing. I really hope Johnson is right and people aren't aware of what's cooking down there. The record says, strong team full of strong players. But at the trade deadline what we heard is, "the Orioles don't have the prospects to land someone big." Crossing my fingers.

Miranda, Gunkel, Lee, R.Rodriguez, are all underrated guys that weren't in our system to start the year.

Hess, Mancini, Reyes and Cisco should all be in some top 100 discussions.

Add that to Bundy, Harvey, Kline and our 2015 draft class(Stewart, Mountcastle), and I wouldn't be surprised to see us ranked in the middle of the pack.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(AUGUST 26th)

The Tides have a 3-game lead over AAA-Gwinnett, with 13 games left to play.

Of those 13 games that they have left, 10 of them are against AAA-Gwinnett. :eektf:

AUGUST 27 @ Gwinnett, 6:35 PM

AUGUST 28 @ Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

AUGUST 29 @ Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

AUGUST 30 @ Gwinnett, 2:05 PM

AUGUST 31 vs. Charlotte, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 1 vs. Charlotte, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 2 vs. Gwinnett, 5:05 PM O(DOUBLEHEADER - Game # 1)

SEPTEMBER 2 vs. Gwinnett, 7:35 PM O(DOUBLEHEADER - Game # 2)

SEPTEMBER 3 vs. Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 4 vs. Gwinnett, 7:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 5 @ Durham, 6:35 PM

SEPTEMBER 6 @ Durham, 5:05 PM

SEPTEMBER 7 @ Durham, 1:05 PM

By my count, only eight of those games are against Gwinnett.

Seems like half the Tides roster is either in Baltimore now, or injured. It may be tough for them to hang on, especially with the O's likely to take an "all hands on deck" approach once Sept. 1 rolls around. Buck already made it clear that the Tides' playoff hopes wouldn't be a factor in the timing of call-ups.

But all that is par for the course. I just read John Feinstein's book about life in AAA baseball. In 2012, the Pawtucket PawSox won the AAA championship. During the course of th year, they had 61 different players on their roster, and of the players who were on the roster for the championship, only 7 of them had been on the PawSox roster on opening day.

By my count, only eight of those games are against Gwinnett.

Seems like half the Tides roster is either in Baltimore now, or injured. It may be tough for them to hang on, especially with the O's likely to take an "all hands on deck" approach once Sept. 1 rolls around. Buck already made it clear that the Tides' playoff hopes wouldn't be a factor in the timing of call-ups.

But all that is par for the course. I just read John Feinstein's book about life in AAA baseball. In 2012, the Pawtucket PawSox won the AAA championship. During the course of th year, they had 61 different players on their roster, and of the players who were on the roster for the championship, only 7 of them had been on the PawSox roster on opening day.

Oh, thanks. I fixed it.

On a similar note to your comment(s), here is my previous post in regard to the fate of the 2009 AAA-Tides:

o

The Tides are 20 games over .500 (64-44 overall.)

In 2009, the Tides started the season running away with the International League with a record of 34-15 in their first 53 games before the promotions of most of their stars to the Orioles (Matt Wieters, Nolan Reimold, Brad Bergesen, Jason Berken, Chris Tillman, David Hernandez, etc.), at which point the Tides fell all the way down to .500 (71-71) by season's end.

The last time that the Tides were 20 games over .500 was in 2001, when they finished said season at 85-57.

o

(AUGUST 26th)

Of those 13 games that they have left, 8 of them are against AAA-Gwinnett. :eektf:

A 4-game split.

An excellent game pitched by Terry Doyle today, ceding only 1 earned run over 7.67 innings.

The AAA-Tides' lead remains 3 games ...... now with 9 games remaining, 4 of which are against AAA-Gwinnett.

o

(AUGUST 26th)

Of those 13 games that they have left, 8 of them are against AAA-Gwinnett. :eektf:

The Tides' win over AAA-Charlotte last night combined with Gwinnett's loss to AAA-Durham pushed their lead in the division to 4 games, with 7 left to play ...... 4 of which are against each other, starting with today's doubleheader.

If the Tides win both ends of today's doubleheader, they will have clinched the division.

If they only win 1 of the 4 games in the series, they will have a 2-game lead with only 3 games left to play.

If they lose all 4 games in the series, they totally suck.

Got tix for the Saturday and Labor Day Monday Tides games in Durham. Looking forward to seeing whatever's not been called to Baltimore. I hope I bring them better luck. The las time I saw them, Parmalee's arm was broken by a Matt Moore pitch. I did get to see Clevenger, Urritia, (the other) Schoop and Alvarez.

Got tix for the Saturday and Labor Day Monday Tides games in Durham. Looking forward to seeing whatever's not been called to Baltimore. I hope I bring them better luck. The las time I saw them, Parmalee's arm was broken by a Matt Moore pitch. I did get to see Clevenger, Urritia, (the other) Schoop and Alvarez.

You bastard.

Gwinnett swept a doubleheader with the Tides last night, to close to within two games with five games to play, the next two of which are head-to-head. Norfolk then closes with three games at Durham while Gwinnett returns home to host three with Charlotte.

As an aside, all four teams in the IL South are over .500.

Miranda, Gunkel, Lee, R.Rodriguez, are all underrated guys that weren't in our system to start the year.

Hess, Mancini, Reyes and Cisco should all be in some top 100 discussions.

Add that to Bundy, Harvey, Kline and our 2015 draft class(Stewart, Mountcastle), and I wouldn't be surprised to see us ranked in the middle of the pack.

I am usually trying to talk up our prospects, but the above is fairly one-sided.

While a couple guys have stepped up nicely this year such as Hess and Mancini, we have had a larger number of prospects lose luster including Walker, both Cuban hitters, Yaz, Glynn Davis, Marin and the bevy of AA/AAA pitchers like Bridwell, Wright and others. And we traded away Davies and the guys for Snider.

Regarding the 2015 draft, we punted on a supplemental pick to get rid of Webb, did not sign our second round pick and have a first rounder struggling to clear a .230 batting average - besides drafting near the bottom of each round. I think it would be very difficult to conclude our 2015 draft haul would be considered above average compared to the rest of the league at this time.

It's not like our farm contributed much to the major league team this year outside of a few relievers and we have had opportunities at 2B, SS, both corner OF positions, and starting pitching. These were no real prospects who stepped up.

I try to be optimistic about our minor league system, but reality is a .... well, you know what it is. There is a tremendous lack of depth outside of the top 15 names.

I am usually trying to talk up our prospects, but the above is fairly one-sided.

While a couple guys have stepped up nicely this year such as Hess and Mancini, we have had a larger number of prospects lose luster including Walker, both Cuban hitters, Yaz, Glynn Davis, Marin and the bevy of AA/AAA pitchers like Bridwell, Wright and others. And we traded away Davies and the guys for Snider.

Regarding the 2015 draft, we punted on a supplemental pick to get rid of Webb, did not sign our second round pick and have a first rounder struggling to clear a .230 batting average - besides drafting near the bottom of each round. I think it would be very difficult to conclude our 2015 draft haul would be considered above average compared to the rest of the league at this time.

It's not like our farm contributed much to the major league team this year outside of a few relievers and we have had opportunities at 2B, SS, both corner OF positions, and starting pitching. These were no real prospects who stepped up.

I try to be optimistic about our minor league system, but reality is a .... well, you know what it is. There is a tremendous lack of depth outside of the top 15 names.

I'm on board with almost everything you said, but why do you say Wright lost luster? He's pitched to a 2.22 ERA in Norfolk this year and had a couple of nice performances in Baltimore (along with some shaky ones). To me, I'm more optimistic about him than I was before the season began.

We punted a second rounder who did not impress anyone other than the Os too much and replaced him with Grey Fenton. We have the Possibility of seven picks in the top two rounds of next year's draft. Wright is absolutely right where we was last off-seasn if not a bit ahead. Wilson is way ahead. Gunkel Lee and Miranda are very nice additions as is Rodriquez. Marin is back on the map and Norfolk did what Norfolk always does to any hitting prspect who go to play there. Mancini is a rocket.

You bastard.

Not me. This guy! Crash Davis. Trying to get friendly with my daughters.

CrashDavisElla.jpg

Not me. This guy! Crash Davis. Trying to get friendly with my daughters.

CrashDavisElla.jpg

I was actually beat up by the Durham Bull back in 2009.

No joke.

After the game (in Durham), the Bull was talking to all of the kids outside of the stadium. He spotted me (in my Orioles mask, Orioles Rally Monkey, Orioles jersey, and Tides cap.) He grabbed me, pummeled me with body shots, and booted me (with a Size 32 shoe) in the butt.

I was actually beat up by the Durham Bull back in 2009.

No joke.

After the game (in Durham), the Bull was talking to all of the kids outside of the stadium. He spotted me (in my Orioles mask, Orioles Rally Monkey, Orioles jersey, and Tides cap.) He grabbed me, pummeled me with body shots, and booted me (with a Size 32 shoe) in the butt.

Wool E. Bull is mischievous. Good story, though!

My only run-in with him is that he tied my shoe laces to the metal rail of our section several years ago when I wasn't looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived