2015 Norfolk Tides: Best Record in International League

OFFNY

I told Nash before that I once got beat up by the Durham Bull mascot after one of the games, outside of the stadium.

It was one mascot beating up another.

Ha!

I heard another story about the Bull being on break once (at the old ballpark where Bull Durham was shot). Some kids came up for an autograph and he said "Beat it, kid. I'm on break". And he went on to finish his cigarette.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
American Tobacco campus/Bulls stadium is really nice. I love how they went about revitalizing that part of the city. Although, basically the whole Triangle is really nice.

It's really turning into a vibrant scene there. The little "river" they run through the campus is really cool with all the waterfalls. They have concerts on the grass in the middle of the campus, sponsored by the local NPR affiliate.

Back about 20 years or more ago when there was talk of maybe the Twins relocating to Charlotte, Greensboro or Winston-Salem, I kept saying the (then new) Bulls park would have been a really attractive place for MLB baseball. The American Tobacco Campus is like Eutaw Street on steroids. It's massive and always busy. I still dream of them adding 30,000 seats to this facility and bringing some team here. But most folks say it'll never happen. But I do think NC would support baseball in a big way. Baseball fans travel better than a lot of other sports fans. And all the baseball fans I know make the trip to Baltimore or Atlanta once or twice (or in my case, 3 times) a year. Long proud history of minor league and semi-pro ball here, too. If the NHL Carolina Hurricanes can survive here, so can baseball.

It's really turning into a vibrant scene there. The little "river" they run through the campus is really cool with all the waterfalls. They have concerts on the grass in the middle of the campus, sponsored by the local NPR affiliate.

Back about 20 years or more ago when there was talk of maybe the Twins relocating to Charlotte, Greensboro or Winston-Salem, I kept saying the (then new) Bulls park would have been a really attractive place for MLB baseball. The American Tobacco Campus is like Eutaw Street on steroids. It's massive and always busy. I still dream of them adding 30,000 seats to this facility and bringing some team here. But most folks say it'll never happen. But I do think NC would support baseball in a big way. Baseball fans travel better than a lot of other sports fans. And all the baseball fans I know make the trip to Baltimore or Atlanta once or twice (or in my case, 3 times) a year. Long proud history of minor league and semi-pro ball here, too. If the NHL Carolina Hurricanes can survive here, so can baseball.

Yeah I love the design from the old warehouse/mill theme.

The Hurricanes survive...barely I hear. I think it could definitely support an MLB team. Like you said, most people are either O's or Braves fans. The Triangle is an interesting demographic though. It's one of the fastest growing regions in the country, so the majority of people are not actually from NC. Most people I've come across seem to be either from the Mid-Atlantic, California, or Boston area originally.

Yeah I love the design from the old warehouse/mill theme.

The Hurricanes survive...barely I hear. I think it could definitely support an MLB team. Like you said, most people are either O's or Braves fans. The Triangle is an interesting demographic though. It's one of the fastest growing regions in the country, so the majority of people are not actually from NC. Most people I've come across seem to be either from the Mid-Atlantic, California, or Boston area originally.

True. I'm one of the old guard, so my first ball games were at the forerunner to the current Bulls franchise. At old Devereaux Meadow off of Peace St. in Raleigh. I'm almost 54, but the year I was born, Yaz played there for Raleigh-Durham and later such stars as Greg Luzinski, Manny Sanguillen and others passed through the old Raleigh ball park.

I told Nash before that I once got beat up by the Durham Bull mascot after one of the games, outside of the stadium.

It was one mascot beating up another.

By the way, when I went in 2009, I parked for free ....... in the stadium parking lot.

Why ??? Because my car was a Saturn.

All Saturn cars parked for free in those days.

Soooooo, I:

A) Got beat up by the Durham Bull after the game.

B) Ate vegetarian hot dogs that they actually sold there at the concession stand.

C) Parked my car for free in the stadium lot, simply because it was a Saturn.

The Triangle might support a major league team though Charlotte is a bit far away for regular driving so I don't think they could count that as a major contributor in trying to attract anyone.

As far as Oriole supporters in NC, I'm in Wilson, east of Raleigh and I think you could hold a banquet for all of us in any MacDonalds. It doesn't help that the Orioles are not the team of choice for any broadcast TV and MASN is not on cable packages, or that they aren't carried by any radio station. I used to try to listen but Baltimore area signals never got here well enough to make it a pleasant experience. Now I've got Sirius XM in my car and I can get out my computer if I want. While Baltimore is officially the American league team for this area, the Orioles have done nothing in my 25+ years in North Carolina to build support.

I support the O's because I grew up in an area with a farm team. If I'd had to pick a team after coming here, I would have no reason to support the O's.

The Triangle might support a major league team, I'm in Wilson, though Charlotte is a bit far away for regular driving so I don't think they could count that as a major contributor in trying to attract anyone.

As far as Oriole supporters in NC, , east of Raleigh and I think you could hold a banquet for all of us in any MacDonalds. It doesn't help that the Orioles are not the team of choice for any broadcast TV and MASN is not on cable packages, or that they aren't carried by any radio station. I used to try to listen but Baltimore area signals never got here well enough to make it a pleasant experience. Now I've got Sirius XM in my car and I can get out my computer if I want. While Baltimore is officially the American league team for this area, the Orioles have done nothing in my 25+ years in North Carolina to build support.

I support the O's because I grew up in an area with a farm team. If I'd had to pick a team after coming here, I would have no reason to support the O's.

I played ball in that Wilson ball park in High School (I'm from Garner - I had a summer job fumigating tobacco warehouses there when I was at State). We also played in other minor league parks here and there:

- The old Durham Bulls park (Durham Athletic Park - aka The DAP)

- Rocky Mount's ball park

- Crockett Park in Charlotte (Murray played there in '76 and Cal in '80).

Archived