O's discussing blockbuster with the Padres for Upton?

SamsHorn

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams that have spoken with the Padres about James Shields say they're not looking to eat money & hope to get a young SS back (& more)</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also depends how young, who could we trade, Adrian Marin, Ryan Mountcastle ??

What are you talking about? If he were a FA with no QO, the Orioles are not in a position to sign him for 3.$63. They sertainly aren't going to give up any players/prospects plus pay that kind of money. You disagree?

What are you talking about? If he were a FA with no QO, the Orioles are not in a position to sign him for 3.$63. They sertainly aren't going to give up any players/prospects plus pay that kind of money. You disagree?

Sorry for typos. 3/$63. certainly.

Still a decent pitcher, Padres can throw in some money or young talent, he is owed $65 million over the next three seasons.

I like him more than some of the other options that are tied to picks, like Gallardo.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Padres continue to try to push James Shields in the trade market. Owed $63 million over the next three seasons.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams that have spoken with the Padres about James Shields say they're not looking to eat money & hope to get a young SS back (& more)</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

Yeah, and I want Miranda Kerr under my Christmas tree.

Seriously? Someone should go drug test their GM immediately. They wouldn't get a 6 year old little league SS for Shields without eating some money.

And Mountcastle can't be traded I don't think since he was just drafted last year.

They "Trea Changed" that bubble-boy rule.

Seriously? Someone should go drug test their GM immediately. They wouldn't get a 6 year old little league SS for Shields without eating some money.

And Mountcastle can't be traded I don't think since he was just drafted last year.

They changed the rules so that a player can now be traded in the offseason after being drafted.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Padres get:

Ubaldo Jimenez (22/26.5)

Brian Matusz (3rd year arb 3.4 +/-)

Hoes/Prospect? (?)

Orioles get:

Melvin Upton (2/32)

Tyson Ross (2nd year arb 10+/- plus 3rd year arb (13+/-)

Drew Pomeranz (1st year arb 1.3 +-)

Why the Orioles do it:

This deal would give the O's a starting outfielder, a starting pitcher who is more dependable and has a higher upside than Ubaldo, and a lefty reliever who is as effective against left-handed hitters as Matusz but also capable of starting.

Melvin Upton had a nice bounceback year (as a part-time CF) last season. If he could maintain that .757 OPS for a full year and play good defense, he could take over one of the outfield spots for the next two seasons, while ably subbing for AJ when needed. His presence might also be an incentive to attract his brother, Justin.

Tyson Ross has pitched 190+ innings in each of the last two seasons. He was an all star in 2014 and is under team control for two more seasons. He would be the #3 pitcher, replacing Ubaldo, but likely more consistent.

Drew Pomeranz is a young lefty reliever the Padres just acquired in trade from the A's, where he served as a swing man, producing a sub-3.00 ERA in relief and mid-4s as a starter. He is entering his first arb-eligible season, and so will be under team control for two more seasons.

Why the Padres do it:

This deal would get them out of Melvin Upton's horrible contract and save them $27M over the next two seasons, giving them payroll flexibility they need.

The good Ubaldo would cover the work Ross did on the mound for the Padres in 2015. Moving to PETCO should lower his HR/9 rate and his ERA. While he could revert to the bad Ubaldo, it seems that the O's have done a good job of fixing him.

Brian Matusz is a San Diego native and a very good LOOGY. He would be very popular there and get the job done.

I'm really not sure who the third piece would be going to the Padres. Someone better acquainted with their system might have a better idea than idea.

Summary

This team improves the O's by adding stability and youth in the pitching rotation and bullpen. It also adds a bit of a wildcard in Upton, so it is somewhat a roll of the dice. For the Padres, it is not a big drain on their talent and gives them some money to spend elsewhere.

What do you think? Is there the germ of a deal here, or have I wasted my time?

From my vantage point Baltimore getting way more out of this deal and note sure what's in it for San Diego. Seems like they get Baltimore castoffs in exchange for useful pieces and one bad contract that only has 2 years left.

More specifically, I think if San Diego elects to get someone to eat a contract by including Ross, Kemp is going to be the contract they move. More expensive/more years. Otherwise, I think you need more value going to San Diego in order to land Ross.

Archived