Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Isn't Revere signed for two more years? Would have MUCH rather got him than Parra.

Seconded. Trading for someone (Parra) at the apex of their value seems unwise. What is the perception of the package the Jays got for Revere? The high walk rates of both pitchers jumped out at me.

Seconded. Trading for someone (Parra) at the apex of their value seems unwise. What is the perception of the package the Jays got for Revere? The high walk rates of both pitchers jumped out at me.

What does this even mean? It was a rental deal. Nothing more. If Davies turns into a solid MLB starting pitcher, more power to him, but that is hardly a sure thing at this point.

If you're trading for someone for two months, he better be at the apex of his career.

Duquette failed miserably this deadline. Parra by himself doesn't make enough of a difference. He's an upgrade over what we have now, but not worth the cost of Davies. Whatsoever. The marginal upgrade Parra provides does not drastically help our chances of reaching the playoffs, especially considering how much the Blue Jays improved their team.

Getting Parra - and losing Davies - would have made more sense if they also added someone like Upton, Bruce, or Cespedes. Cespedes in particular would not have cost us a lot. Such a disappointing excuse for "improving" the team.

I would have much rather the Orioles been sellers instead of only adding Parra. We could have gotten a good prospect or two decent prospects for Davis. Probably a decent prospect or two for Chen. Maybe a decent prospect for O'Day.

Duquette has really disappointed me this season. His offseason acquisitions were lacking, perhaps in part a result of entertaining taking a job with a rival organization. He failed to resign Cruz; keeping him would have made a huge difference to this team's season. Then he tried to sell the fanbase on the thought that not signing an impact bat was ok because "we're getting Machado, Davis, and Wieters back" when any of them could have aggravated an injury, or taken longer to recover than anticipated, which is what happened with Wieters. When in fact it's ridiculous to imply that the rest of your returning core will stay healthy. Sure enough, Schoop went down with a serious injury early in April.

At this point, I'm fine with parting ways with Duquette this offseason.

Duquette failed miserably this deadline. Parra by himself doesn't make enough of a difference. He's an upgrade over what we have now, but not worth the cost of Davies. Whatsoever. The marginal upgrade Parra provides does not drastically help our chances of reaching the playoffs, especially considering how much the Blue Jays improved their team.

Getting Parra - and losing Davies - would have made more sense if they also added someone like Upton, Bruce, or Cespedes. Cespedes in particular would not have cost us a lot. Such a disappointing excuse for "improving" the team.

I would have much rather the Orioles been sellers instead of only adding Parra. We could have gotten a good prospect or two decent prospects for Davis. Probably a decent prospect or two for Chen. Maybe a decent prospect for O'Day.

Duquette has really disappointed me this season. His offseason acquisitions were lacking, perhaps in part a result of entertaining taking a job with a rival organization. He failed to resign Cruz; keeping him would have made a huge difference to this team's season. Then he tried to sell the fanbase on the thought that not signing an impact bat was ok because "we're getting Machado, Davis, and Wieters back" when any of them could have aggravated an injury, or taken longer to recover than anticipated, which is what happened with Wieters. When in fact it's ridiculous to imply that the rest of your returning core will stay healthy. Sure enough, Schoop went down with a serious injury early in April.

Completely agree. We should have "sold high" on DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does this even mean? It was a rental deal. Nothing more. If Davies turns into a solid MLB starting pitcher, more power to him, but that is hardly a sure thing at this point.
If you're trading for someone for two months, he better be at the apex of his career.

Let's just hope that Parra maintains his current pace. If he does, then I have no complaints at all.

An argument can be made that deals (particularly trade deadline) are not DD's forte.

Arrieta, Strop for Feldman

Hader, Hoes for Norris

Eduardo for Miller

Davies for Parra

Two genuine big league starters and two likely 2016 big league starters will be pitching for other teams. And we will have....no return at big league or prospect level.

While I supported and still support the Miller acquisition as truly going for it last year, and I even understood the Arrieta deal at the time, this deal is not one that I support. I think it continues a depletion of pitching prospects in our system particularly since our two top prospects both have arm concerns. And I do not think it makes getting to wild card or playoffs this season substantially more likely than with our current group of position players.

What are the chances the O's can sign Parra? It is an OK trade if he signs.

Zack Davies was hit hard in spring training and an early April call up he wasn't effective.

I know it was only a small sample of Zack Davies.

Are you confusing Zach Davies with someone else? He has never been called up by the Orioles or pitched in the majors. You may be thinking of Tyler Wilson or Mike Wright.

Be careful what you wish for. And remember, your new GM almost certainly won't come with a much bigger budget so he'll have to be more successful at exactly the things Duquette has been doing, and did quite well from '12-14.

Be careful what you wish for. And remember, your new GM almost certainly won't come with a much bigger budget so he'll have to be more successful at exactly the things Duquette has been doing, and did quite well from '12-14.

Yeah, no GM is perfect. I've been disappointed with nearly all of DD's trades and his practice of "selling" draft picks, but he's certainly got strengths, including restraint in free agency, which is a big one. At this point, I hope he sticks around, but if he goes to Toronto this offseason it won't bother me as much as would have last offseason.