Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Resigning him has little to do with the trade. There's no expectation of resigning him, and even if they did it would be at a value quite similar to what he'd get on the market in a few months. The only benefit I see is that they avoid a situation where the Brewers could have given him a QO and costing the O's a pick. So you could argue that they traded Davies for a) two months of Parra, b) the value of a compensatory draft pick ($7M?) and c) a few months of exclusive negotiation. But that's only if he's resigned - if he's not its just two months of Parra.

The O's get a compensatory pick if Parra is signed?

I like Gerardo Parra a lot. He is a complete player. Very good defensively with a rocket for an arm. Useful offensive player with speed and some pop in the bat. He is exactly the kind of guy that I would like to have for the next several years holding down a corner outfield position. But we needed a good bit more than just Parra for this year, and this year is all we have him for. So, I am pretty Meh on this trade. If we sign Parra to a deal this offseason I will give the trade a thumbs up. If we do not, I will give it a thumbs down.

Why do folks keep tying the grade of this trade to whether we extend Parra.

We could have kept Davies and signed Parra in the offseason. Having him on the team now gives almost no advantage to signing him to a contract. He is still just one of many FA's that we can pursue.

The trade was bad an almost desperate act by a GM who has done nothing to better his team in the last 12 months.

Why do folks keep tying the grade of this trade to whether we extend Parra.

We could have kept Davies and signed Parra in the offseason. Having him on the team now gives almost no advantage to signing him to a contract. He is still just one of many FA's that we can pursue.

The trade was bad an almost desperate act by a GM who has done nothing to better his team in the last 12 months.

If it makes anyone feel better, Davies got pounded in his AAA start last night, 5 ER and 11 baserunners in 4 IP.

If it makes anyone feel better, Davies got pounded in his AAA start last night, 5 ER and 11 baserunners in 4 IP.

It does not. I have watched him plenty as I did Eduardo. I think they will both have MLB careers. An extension of a pending FA does nothing to help in the evaluation of a trade.

Parra was acquired because our team lacked outfield defense and consistency and OBP which could have easily been rectified by offering Nick Markakis 45 million. We lost no pick or asset either way.

I would have enjoyed seeing Davies progress with us. Eduardo appears to be a pitcher who could have filled the void Chen will leave.

No, no they don't. What I'm saying is they'd lose a pick if they didn't trade for Parra, the Brewers kept him and QO'd him, and then the O's signed Parra in the offseason. When a player is traded in midseason there's no option for a QO/compensatory pick.

I would be surprised if the Brewers offered him a QO.

I would be surprised if the Brewers offered him a QO.

It's hard to tell. If they thought his defense was solid and his hitting spike sticky then maybe. But it's probably more murky than that. I really don't know what to think with the guy - I've barely seen him play, don't trust my subjective judgment at all, and his metrics are almost random.

So would I. He is making $6.3 mm in his final year of arbitration eligibility. Even after a career year, he's probably not going to get much more than 3 years, $25-30 mm on the open market.

On the other hand, there's the fact that the players and their agents are very much against QOs, the compensatory pick is enticing, and nobody is ever hamstrung by a one-year deal. Right now I wouldn't hesitate for a minute putting the QO on Wieters.

No, no they don't. What I'm saying is they'd lose a pick if they didn't trade for Parra, the Brewers kept him and QO'd him, and then the O's signed Parra in the offseason. When a player is traded in midseason there's no option for a QO/compensatory pick.

Ok, the bolded part is the part that I wasn't following before. I would not assume that Milw would take the chance of offering him the QO.