Jimmy Paredes....

EagleOriole

Frankly, I'm shocked this is even a discussion. Paredes should certainly be on the team next year. He is cheap, his results this year have been good, and he has huge potential. His OWar is tied with Caleb Joseph for fourth on the team at 1.3.

Yes, he has bad streaks. Yes, he has some awful at bats. He also has the 2nd or 3rd best swing on the team. He has extremely good bat speed (I can't tell whether he or Manny have the most on the team).

This guy's swing reminds me a lot of Jose Bautista's early in his career. Bautista didn't walk a ton early either and then he figured out that he had enough bat speed to wait longer and still hit the fastball. Bautista had his first decent year in the majors the year he turned 26 when he had a 756 OPS. He didn't turn into a monster for another 4 seasons though he played decently during those 4 years.

Paredes can do the same. He is 26 this season and experiencing his first success. We just need to hope he can work his approach to that point.

I know Bautista is an aberration, but I really see a lot of similarities in their swing and plate approach at the same stages. Paredes has the potential to flame out, but I expect him to be somewhere raking in 2-3 years. I really hope we show patience with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bautista's lowest walk rate in significant PAs was a 9.4 percent in 2008. He always had decent discipline. Jimmy Paredes is at 5.0 for his career., 4.9 this year. That's a pretty big difference.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankly, I'm shocked this is even a discussion. Paredes should certainly be on the team next year. He is cheap, his results this year have been good, and he has huge potential. His OWar is tied with Caleb Joseph for fourth on the team at 1.3.

Yes, he has bad streaks. Yes, he has some awful at bats. He also has the 2nd or 3rd best swing on the team. He has extremely good bat speed (I can't tell whether he or Manny have the most on the team).

This guy's swing reminds me a lot of Jose Bautista's early in his career. Bautista didn't walk a ton early either and then he figured out that he had enough bat speed to wait longer and still hit the fastball. Bautista had his first decent year in the majors the year he turned 26 when he had a 756 OPS. He didn't turn into a monster for another 4 seasons though he played decently during those 4 years.

Paredes can do the same. He is 26 this season and experiencing his first success. We just need to hope he can work his approach to that point.

I know Bautista is an aberration, but I really see a lot of similarities in their swing and plate approach at the same stages. Paredes has the potential to flame out, but I expect him to be somewhere raking in 2-3 years. I really hope we show patience with him.

I think you know why this is a discussion. Despite his tools, and his bat speed, he's 26, he's 225 games and 785 PAs into his MLB career and he's been a sub-replacement player. It's ability vs. turning that ability into results.

Yes, he's been better this year, but only about 5 runs above average and that includes a couple runs of baserunning. Don't you agree that bat speed will only carry you so far if you have very little ability to discern a ball from a strike? I will fully buy into the idea that he has a ton of talent. But this is the same guy who played poorly enough in AAA last year that the Royals just gave him away, and the O's are his fourth organization.

He's not a raw 22-year-old kid. He's 26. He's still cheap, and the Orioles are still looking for pieces to fill holes, so no reason to get rid of him. But I still think it's an open question as to whether he'll break out or continue to get trapped in a cycle of adjustments just to keep his head above water as pitchers exploit the significant holes in his swing.

There are probably as many guys like Ruben Sierra who struggle with the strike zone for 20 years despite a world of talent, as their are Bautistas who break out.

I agree. Paredes probably won't ever have the BB rate of Bautista but his walk rate isn't off the charts bad either. He walks more than several starters on our team.

It's well below league average. We just happen to have a lot of guys with horrendous plate discipline. :)

I hope it works out ok for you. I have no grudges against you guys. At all.

I don't think it is as bad as you had a few years ago. Certainly not at the house. Worse in the downtown area, the local river is pretty high. The current weather pattern is supposed to break in a couple of days.

There are probably as many guys like Ruben Sierra who struggle with the strike zone for 20 years despite a world of talent, as their are Bautistas who break out.

Seems like an odd example to use. I think we'd be pretty happy if Paredes was half as good as Ruben Sierra.

I don't think it is as bad as you had a few years ago. Certainly not at the house. Worse in the downtown area, the local river is pretty high. The current weather pattern is supposed to break in a couple of days.

In my area, the electrical is all above the hundred year flood line. It is simply the HVAC and Water heater and Washer and Dryer that get submerged. Walls are rock, Floor is concrete (over rock and dirt), nothing to mold if you get it all up.

In my area, the electrical is all above the hundred year flood line. It is simply the HVAC and Water heater and Washer and Dryer that get submerged. Walls are rock, Floor is concrete (over rock and dirt), nothing to mold if you get it all up.

Can you believe that they are trying to sell that lot next door for someone to build on?

We warn off anyone we see investigating it.

Archived