Jimmy Paredes....

EagleOriole

I don't have cable so I listen to O's games via the MLB At Bat application. The broadcast stated Paredes hit from the left side of the plate today despite Norris being a lefty? Anyone think he will give up switch hitting in the offseason? I am happy he is open to trying different approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He actually switched from right to left during the game.I have never seen that before with the same pitcher pitching. The whole team looked bad.Four hits,one long homer.One hit that should have been an error.A bloop by Wieters and a ball that Schoop hit that the SS and third baseman looked at each other.9tiole innings took about a few minutes and not many pitches thrown.When the Orioles got way behind,it looked like all the hitters were uppercutting and some lazy pop to the infield.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a big proponent of giving him an opportunity this season. I liked him over Lough when it looked like it would come down to that.

That said, I don't think you can pencil him in as a starter. I'd have him working with Kirby as much as possible to learn a corner outfield position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading somewhere (don't remember where) that the O's organization plans to have him play winter ball to learn a position. If he learns a position sufficiently, then he can possibly switch at DH and a position.

I remember reading somewhere (don't remember where) that the O's organization plans to have him play winter ball to learn a position. If he learns a position sufficiently, then he can possibly switch at DH and a position.

I heard Buck mention that (OF time in winter ball) in an interview a month or two back....pretty sure it was on 105.7.

Paredes did switch over to the left side for his last AB. But I think part of the reason is that during his previous at bat, he struck out so badly on a pitch by Norris that his bat went flying into the Tigers tunnel that leads to the clubhouse. It was only by luck that nobody was going out or coming in at the time (two people standing in front of it ducked behind the screen), or he could have seriously hurt them. I think he was pretty embarrassed, which maybe led to his trying to hit Norris from the left side (he struck out on 3 pitches anyway).

I think Paredes needs to make some adjustments to his swing if he hopes to have a future here. When he came up earlier this year he was getting challenged and driving the ball. Since then, he's too impatient and swinging way too hard at everything, even with two strikes. Take some pitches, cut down on the swing when behind in the count, and try to put the ball in play. No homers in his last 19 starts. In his last 25 games, he's 17 for 88 (.193), 1 HR, 3 RBIs, and 30 Ks. Ouch.

But who do you replace him with or stick in RF? Snider? (3 for his last 34 with 0 RBIs) Lough? (0 RBIs in his last 38 ABs) Reimold? (2 RBIs in his last 54 ABs) I know Alvarez and Urrutia probably aren't the solution either, but we're running out of options.

Reimold is hitting LHP really well this year (.862 OPS). Just don't look to see what he's doing vs. RHP.

It's time to get real about our platooning. There is really no reason why Paredes should have been playing yesterday (.583). I know that we are a man down basically until Pearce gets back unfortunately. Snider at least it's lefties a little better.

To be honest (and I know this sounds crazy) our best choice right now might be to try and play Wieters and Joseph together more often.

Wieters - .760 overall OPS with very minor platoon splits

Joseph - .731 overall OPS with very minor platoon splits

At the moment it appears that Paredes should only play vs. RHP as a DH (although he has really struggled overall lately) and Reimold should only play vs. LHP.

So against RHP it should be:

RF - Davis

DH - Paredes

1B / C - Wieters / Joseph

And against LHP it should be:

RF - Reimold

DH / 1B / C - Davis / Wieters / Joseph

Reimold is hitting LHP really well this year (.862 OPS). Just don't look to see what he's doing vs. RHP.

It's time to get real about our platooning. There is really no reason why Paredes should have been playing yesterday (.583). I know that we are a man down basically until Pearce gets back unfortunately. Snider at least it's lefties a little better.

To be honest (and I know this sounds crazy) our best choice right now might be to try and play Wieters and Joseph together more often.

Wieters - .760 overall OPS with very minor platoon splits

Joseph - .731 overall OPS with very minor platoon splits

At the moment it appears that Paredes should only play vs. RHP as a DH (although he has really struggled overall lately) and Reimold should only play vs. LHP.

So against RHP it should be:

RF - Davis

DH - Paredes

1B / C - Wieters / Joseph

And against LHP it should be:

RF - Reimold

DH / 1B / C - Davis / Wieters / Joseph

Hmmm, actually I might start a new thread about this idea.

I am very disturbed that we are still fooling with having Reimold around.

Can o Corn's influence on Buck? Photos? :scratchchinhmm: ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I cannot stop watching this. <a href="http://t.co/Y33vfnB0St">pic.twitter.com/Y33vfnB0St</a></p>— Alby (@Alby) <a href="

">August 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frankly, I'm shocked this is even a discussion. Paredes should certainly be on the team next year. He is cheap, his results this year have been good, and he has huge potential. His OWar is tied with Caleb Joseph for fourth on the team at 1.3.

Yes, he has bad streaks. Yes, he has some awful at bats. He also has the 2nd or 3rd best swing on the team. He has extremely good bat speed (I can't tell whether he or Manny have the most on the team).

This guy's swing reminds me a lot of Jose Bautista's early in his career. Bautista didn't walk a ton early either and then he figured out that he had enough bat speed to wait longer and still hit the fastball. Bautista had his first decent year in the majors the year he turned 26 when he had a 756 OPS. He didn't turn into a monster for another 4 seasons though he played decently during those 4 years.

Paredes can do the same. He is 26 this season and experiencing his first success. We just need to hope he can work his approach to that point.

I know Bautista is an aberration, but I really see a lot of similarities in their swing and plate approach at the same stages. Paredes has the potential to flame out, but I expect him to be somewhere raking in 2-3 years. I really hope we show patience with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be fair - I asked the question to start on what his role on the team should be...a little surprised at all the negatively towards him.

I've made it very clear that once Reimold made the team and Young was off he was on his own.

Of course I won't hold a silly grudge because he was struck out by a position player.

Well, dangnabit, if you had told him to walk more, then we would be in 1st place. :laughlol:

Archived