Jimmy Paredes....

EagleOriole

I'd prefer to acquire a LFer instead of trying to create one out of a DH. I can think of all kinds of fast and athletic outfielders who couldn't field early in their careers.

"Creating" one at/around league minimum will probably be a lot less than "acquiring" one. A lot of poor third baseman have gone to the OF and done well. Most with less physical tools than Paredes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Creating" one at/around league minimum will probably be a lot less than "acquiring" one. A lot of poor third baseman have gone to the OF and done well. Most with less physical tools than Paredes.

Maybe. Do we have a poor third baseman with a good bat lying around? If so, why is Chris Parmelee playing first base?

Hopefully not on the O's 25 man roster.

Need better hitters/fielders than Parades to make it back to the playoffs

I can't remember, were there 13 better hitters than Paredes on last year's 96 win roster? I know Paredes is expensive and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. Do we have a poor third baseman with a good bat lying around? If so, why is Chris Parmelee playing first base?

I don't understand the point. You could say Davis is a poor third baseman that seems to do ok in the OF I guess. You're asking me why Parmelee is still on the team? I have no idea. I assume Paredes will be looked at over the winter and ST at OF and probably 1st base.

I don't understand the point. You could say Davis is a poor third baseman that seems to do ok in the OF I guess. You're asking me why Parmelee is still on the team? I have no idea. I assume Paredes will be looked at over the winter and ST at OF and probably 1st base.

I would assume he's mainly a DH, since that's where he's been playing this year and it's not like there's a ton of talent in the OF/1B blocking him.

What does it matter if they played the outfield if they were bad at it? If Paredes can't field why would you stick him in the outfield? I would rather not have him spend a couple hundred games proving he's not a good outfielder if they could just DH him and find a real outfielder.

We don't know that he can't play the outfield. He has the tools to play the OF. It should AT LEAST be tried out.

We don't know that he can't play the outfield. He has the tools to play the OF. It should AT LEAST be tried out.

I think we have a pretty darned good idea. Or at least Buck thinks he does. Paredes has been on the team for a year, has a fairly good hitting record, and has played one inning in the outfield. His prior experience there was parts of 16 games in '12, and in the minors he's played there sparingly. If you believed Paredes was an outfielder don't you think you'd have played him over Lough or Snider or whomever?

I think we have a pretty darned good idea. Or at least Buck thinks he does. Paredes has been on the team for a year, has a fairly good hitting record, and has played one inning in the outfield. His prior experience there was parts of 16 games in '12, and in the minors he's played there sparingly. If you believed Paredes was an outfielder don't you think you'd have played him over Lough or Snider or whomever?

No, because I don't think he's had the reps there. He was moved between 2B and 3B most of his minor league career. If he had a whole offseason and Spring Training to play left it might be a different story. Maybe he will fail, but there is no reason not to try it out. I don't think he will hit enough to be a full time DH/1B anyway.

I would assume he's mainly a DH, since that's where he's been playing this year and it's not like there's a ton of talent in the OF/1B blocking him.

I think it's more of a matter of not throwing him in the OF or even 1b when he has little to no experience there. I wouldn't assume anything but If anything my assumption would be that subpar/poor defender at skilled positions might be much better in less skilled positions. Particularly with the tools Paredes has. Plus it's not like we have/had a good DH option if we just moved Paredes to OF. I expect we'll know more in the offseason and I expect Paredes will be looked at in the OF and probably 1b.

Hopefully not on the O's 25 man roster.

Need better hitters/fielders than Parades to make it back to the playoffs

This is silly. Paredes is certainly a good enough hitter to be a regular contributor to a playoff team, at least in the AL. His defensive struggles are a problem, but why would you dump him from the 25-man roster entirely if he continues to be a good hitter?

I don't have cable so I listen to O's games via the MLB At Bat application. The broadcast stated Paredes hit from the left side of the plate today despite Norris being a lefty? Anyone think he will give up switch hitting in the offseason? I am happy he is open to trying different approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting more and more skeptical that Paredes is going to hit going forward. His plate discipline is awful and now it's catching up to him.

Blame it on, Buck. He shouldn't be playing against lefties. But then again, Norris made the entire lineup look silly. So not much you can take out of this game.

Put players in positions to succeed. If that means making them only hit from their dominant side (i.e. Paredes vs. righties), then you have to do it.

Archived