Darren O'Day...

EagleOriole

You could sign O'Day to 3/21M with the idea of making him closer when they trade Britton in winter 2016.

Last night was pretty good evidence why he never will be a closer. Everything was hit hard except the last out. Maybe just a bad night, but obviously no QO and 3/21 seems a bit too long a contract.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last night was pretty good evidence why he never will be a closer. Everything was hit hard except the last out. Maybe just a bad night, but obviously no QO and 3/21 seems a bit too long a contract.

I don't think last night's game is evidence of anything. His 1.28 ERA this season, 1.91 ERA as an Oriole and 2.33 ERA for his career are all evidence that he'd be a very solid closer. However, I prefer him in his current role.

By the way, O'Day is on pace for his fourth straight year of being worth 2.0 rWAR or more. If anyone thinks he's going to be replaced by someone home grown without it being a downgrade we're going to notice, they're crazy. We may decide the money is better spent elsewhere, but we're going to feel his loss in the bullpen. His value is underrated around here.

I don't think last night's game is evidence of anything. His 1.28 ERA this season, 1.91 ERA as an Oriole and 2.33 ERA for his career are all evidence that he'd be a very solid closer. However, I prefer him in his current role.

By the way, O'Day is on pace for his fourth straight year of being worth 2.0 rWAR or more. If anyone thinks he's going to be replaced by someone home grown without it being a downgrade we're going to notice, they're crazy. We may decide the money is better spent elsewhere, but we're going to feel his loss in the bullpen. His value is underrated around here.

Agreed 100%, which is why I struggle to decide whether it is better to keep him or spend that money elsewhere. I think Brach slides into O'Day's role and Givens takes that 7th inning role.

Agree with Frobby. However, he is still a middle reliever that will be 33 years old. Love the guy, but I just see some

other team making a better offer for his services. I can see the Orioles envisioning someone like Givens moving into his role. An unproven talent, but I just see the Orioles spending their money elsewhere.

That is complete nonsense. O'Day gets plenty of respect around here.

As for missing his production, you know as well as I do that he very well might not perform as well from 2016-2018 as he has from 2013-2015.

Agree with Frobby. However, he is still a middle reliever that will be 33 years old. Love the guy, but I just see some

other team making a better offer for his services. I can see the Orioles envisioning someone like Givens moving into his role. An unproven talent, but I just see the Orioles spending their money elsewhere.

The 33 year old thing doesn't bother me much. It would bother me more if he was a starting pitcher or a position player. But I feel like holding your value as a reliever is easier, especially when that value doesn't come from having premium velocity. Probability says O'Day won't be as good over the next three years as he was over the last four, but O'Day has been so good that he could fall off a bit and still be considered excellent.

It makes sense to let O'Day walk. The one thing our organization is rich in right now is bullpen talent on the big league roster and in the high minors.

The only reason I think he may be signed is because of possible fan backlash of letting all four guys (Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day) go to free agency. O'Day will be the cheapest guy to keep so for an organization that likes to play it cheap, he's the safe bet for them to sign.

As far as the player whose contributions will be hardest to replace, it's definitely Chris Davis. He's the guy they should try to keep, if they keep anyone. But if we are going to spend big money like that I rather it be on Justin Upton or Jason Heyward who will likely only cost marginally more if they cost more at all.

Ah yes. The fans. We're the people who pay money to see this team play and win. And yes, fan backlash is important. It took 14 years of losing and falling attendance to realize this important facet of Orioles fandom.

Ah yes. The fans. We're the people who pay money to see this team play and win. And yes, fan backlash is important. It took 14 years of losing and falling attendance to realize this important facet of Orioles fandom.

Balderdash.

Folks like to re-imagine history into a scenario where the Orioles were not trying to win during the 14 year drought. Those teams tried to win, they were not very good at it.

As for attendance payroll is more important then having a team in contention.

Balderdash.

Folks like to re-imagine history into a scenario where the Orioles were not trying to win during the 14 year drought. Those teams tried to win, they were not very good at it.

As for attendance payroll is more important then having a team in contention.

And Baltimore itself has never really supported the team with fans in the seats. It's just the way it is. The extended fan-base always did the trick when things were good.

We should resign DOD and CD. Get the picks from Chen and MW. We do need a real CO and a good SP.

Enviado de meu LG-D855 usando Tapatalk

Did you see Scott Boras wining and dining Mrs. Wieters and Mrs. Davis on screen through the whole game? Both of those players will go where the largest check is written. Just like Nick did. Just like Nelson did. Just like Mike Mussina did.

If you think that's the Orioles, well. Also. Mr. Boras has this trick where he has you bid against yourself on these deals. Sometimes paying 45 million more than the next closest team.

Did you see Scott Boras wining and dining Mrs. Wieters and Mrs. Davis on screen through the whole game. Both of those players will go where the largest check is written. Just like Nick did. Just like Nelson did. Just like Mike Mussina did.

If you think that's the Orioles, well. Also. Mr. Boras has this trick where he has you bid against yourself on these deals. Sometimes paying 45 million more than the next closest team.

Miller didn't, but he went to the Yankees which is just as bad.

The Orioles aren't going to pay Darren O'Day when they 1) have cheap young bullpen arms coming up at a fraction of the price, 2) have stars that need to be paid and/or resigned and 3) are probably going to try to cut payroll because of the MASN issue. It would be financially unsound to keep O'Day in Baltimore.

Archived