Mega Thread for Second Guessing Buck 8/9

Jagwar

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the concept of loading the bases to get a matchup, but not with Matusz on the mound facing a guy who has great numbers against him.

Frizzle Frack!

They posted our record against teams above .500 yesterday and it was something like 18 wins and 30 losses or something like that.....

Palmer said that is very telling. It is and why many were advocating for trading some players. Oh well...it is over now. Either us or the Yankees or Rangers or Angels will get 2nd wildcard.

But right now, we may be the weakest or 2nd weakest of those teams.

Yeah, I agree. Pujols is good, but he's not so good as to warrant loading the bases, especially with Matusz on the mound. He was put in an impossible situation. I'm guessing the additional risk of walking in a run or a passed ball/wild pitch just about negates the difference between Murphy and Pujols. Then when you factor in Murphy's numbers against Matusz, I don't think you can justify the move.

Not really. The offense is awful besides Davis and Machado. They scored 2 in the 6th and then didn't score the last 5 innings (surprise, surprise). And there's only 3 reliable pitchers in the BP (Britton, DOD, Brach). Roe, McFarland, Garcia, and Matusz all can't be trusted. Great to see this season being flushed down the toilet.

I understand the concept of loading the bases to get a matchup, but not with Matusz on the mound facing a guy who has great numbers against him.

Frizzle Frack!

Absolutely. Cannot expect Matusz to throw strikes in that situations. He's too much of a headcase.

There was absolutely no reason to walk Pujols, who is hitting .209 vs. lefties, to get to a hitter (lefty or not) who hits almost .500 against us. Bad enough he didn't bring in Britton, who hadn't pitched for several days, to start the inning, but two intentional walks to leave no margin for error.

Brian Matusz is a terrible pitcher. He has NEVER been able to make a critical pitch to save his life when it absolutely counts. The only time he should be played is when we are hopelessly behind late in a game. He is dead weight and I'm embarrassed to see him wear the uniform.

But never in a thousand years would I recommend intentionally walking TWO batters to get the bases loaded situation. If your pitcher is that bad that you can't pitch to two consecutive batters, bring in a guy who can actually pitch. Jesus Christ.

I pin that loss 50% on Buck, 50% on a pitcher who has never looked like he belonged in the majors since the once in a blue moon flashes of brilliance as a starter, which do not even come close to making up for the amount of damage he's done, both as a starter and as a reliever.

Yeah, I agree. Pujols is good, but he's not so good as to warrant loading the bases, especially with Matusz on the mound. He was put in an impossible situation.

One IBB is defensible. If your pitcher can't handle either of the next two hitters he shouldn't be in the game.

They posted our record against teams above .500 yesterday and it was something like 18 wins and 30 losses or something like that.....

Palmer said that is very telling. It is and why many were advocating for trading some players. Oh well...it is over now. Either us or the Yankees or Rangers or Angels will get 2nd wildcard.

But right now, we may be the weakest or 2nd weakest of those teams.

It ain't over, not yet. It is a razor thin margin for error, but it ain't over.

Not having Givens on the roster cost the team the game. Givens is death to right-handed hitters. He would have been the ideal reliever to pitch to Trout and Pujols. They could have also just had him start the inning instead of Roe.

You know, that is an exaggeration. This isn't the case of the bullpen blowing the lead late. Keeping the Angels from scoring there does not mean the O's win the game.

Maybe with Givens on the team they lose in 12?

Archived