Mega Thread for Second Guessing Buck 8/9

Jagwar

Not having Givens on the roster cost the team the game. Givens is death to right-handed hitters. He would have been the ideal reliever to pitch to Trout and Pujols. They could have also just had him start the inning instead of Roe.

I'm not sure Givens would have gotten in the game, but I definitely would have rather had him in there than Matusz in that situation. I don't know why we were playing matchups that late in the game when our bullpen was getting burned up.

Roe for one batter? Matusz comes in to face one lefty followed by two righties? They should have just kept Roe in.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe not the best decision' date=' but the bullpen is just so bad as it's presently constructed. I still don't understand how you trade Zach Davies and then construct a bullpen around keeping a Rule 5 bullpen arm.[/quote']

They have an irrational affection for Rule V players.

Maybe not the best decision' date=' but the bullpen is just so bad as it's presently constructed. I still don't understand how you trade Zach Davies and then construct a bullpen around keeping a Rule 5 bullpen arm.[/quote']

Jason Garcia is the least qualified player to play for the Orioles since Jose Morban. He wasn't even that good in A-ball. What the hell is he doing on this team? Because he can throw 98 MPH? So did Jorge Julio once upon a time but that didn't make him a good pitcher.

I'm not sure Givens would have gotten in the game, but I definitely would have rather had him in there than Matusz in that situation. I don't know why we were playing matchups that late in the game when our bullpen was getting burned up.

Roe for one batter? Matusz comes in to face one lefty followed by two righties? They should have just kept Roe in.

Or put him in LF while Matusz faced the one guy then put him back into the game.

You know, that is an exaggeration. This isn't the case of the bullpen blowing the lead late. Keeping the Angels from scoring there does not mean the O's win the game.

Maybe with Givens on the team they lose in 12?

No but with a rotation like this you don't need two long men. This team will need a lot of big outs in the 5-6 innings the rest of the way. Buck will never use Garcia on that spot ever.

Why in the world would Buck put that kind of pressure on Maryz? He's not O'Day for craps sake! Pulhols has hit worse against lefties this year even though he is 3-5 against Matuz, but Murphy was 5-12 and you force Matuz to throw strikes and not either walk or hit Murphy or throw a wild pitch! I just knew this was going to end badly as Murohy is a known thorn in the side of the Orioles! Dumb or dumber I don't know which!

No but with a rotation like this you don't need two long men. This team will need a lot of big outs in the 5-6 innings the rest of the way. Buck will never use Garcia on that spot ever.

Oh I agree, I have been vocally agreeing since Givens was sent down.

I was just trying to put a little perspective out there.

They have an irrational affection for Rule V players.

Yep. I didn't have a problem doing this in the early and mid-2000's where it seemed like even back then we were taking Rule V's almost every year. Winning teams don't routinely take Rule V picks for the simple reason that they are trying to win now.

Yep. I didn't have a problem doing this in the early and mid-2000's where it seemed like even back then we were taking Rule V's almost every year. Winning teams don't routinely take Rule V picks for the simple reason that they are trying to win now.

But they have managed to procure a utility infielder, a mediocre swing man and guy not likely to get out of AAA the last three years.

Surely that is worth the effort.

One IBB is defensible. If your pitcher can't handle either of the next two hitters he shouldn't be in the game.

I agree with this. I thought walking a Trout was the right move. Walking Pujols didn't make any sense. His main strength at this point in his career is power, which was irrelevant given the situation. His AVG and OBP aren't any better than Murphy's this season. Then you factor in all the additional risk of having the bases loaded and it was a real head scratcher.

Jason Garcia is the least qualified player to play for the Orioles since Jose Morban. He wasn't even that good in A-ball. What the hell is he doing on this team? Because he can throw 98 MPH? So did Jorge Julio once upon a time but that didn't make him a good pitcher.

I have no problem with him being on the team, but not when you traded Davies to win now. Had they sold at the deadline, build the pen around keeping Garcia.

Oh I agree, I have been vocally agreeing since Givens was sent down.

I was just trying to put a little perspective out there.

They have to be blind not to see the pen issues right now. Roe is imploding. Matusz is match up only by in large. Can't have that type of pen with a team like this. This roster hasn't fit all year and it still doesn't. I would honestly rather have a 8 man pen then what we have now.

But they have managed to procure a utility infielder, a mediocre swing man and guy not likely to get out of AAA the last three years.

Surely that is worth the effort.

You know, I think off hand we've probably kept about 10 Rule V guys over the last 15 years. The only one I ever remember paying any serious dividends was Jay Gibbons.......and that was because he was on the juice. All these other guys have been a waste of of a roster space.

Archived