Favorite players on our team

Nevermore

I know that it's obvious that I have certain favorite players on the Orioles. I even follow the careers of my favorite even after they have left the Orioles, particularly Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz. Also,I noticed that a guy who spent a brief time with the Orioles, Francisco Rodriguez (K-Rod) has bounced back to become a very efficient closer for the Milwaukee Brewers. Of course whenever Nick and Nellie's teams have played the Orioles, I have rooted for our pitchers to strike them out or make them GIDP. But other than that, I do follow their careers, their progress.

On the current Orioles, there are Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Steve Pearce, Zach Britton, Miguel Gonzalez. And a certain guy who I've become the Grand Poobah for.

My view is that my team is full of players, and the players do matter. Whereas for some, it's the color of the jerseys, and whichever players occupy the jerseys at the current moment aren't so important as the color of the jerseys.

So I'm wondering: who has certain players that they really like, perhaps even to the point of following their careers if they end up on different teams. Or is it just the team, whichever players are on the team?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my long tenure as an Orioles fan, there have been four players who I was really passionate about while they were here: Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, Mike Mussina, and Nick Markakis. For a shorter time, Erik Bedard was a huge favorite of mine.

Nobody currently on the team quite rises to that level for me. Manny really excites me, and may rise to that level eventually, but I'm trying not to become too attached to a guy who could be outta here at age 25. Adam probably deserves that status for his talent, commitment and passion, but his tendency to swing at bad pitches and be impatient in key situations just drives me nuts. At the end of the day, I think my favorite guy on the Orioles right now is the manager.

Currently, it's Jonesy for me. He has matured a lot. Very seldom do you seem him worked up, and if he is, there is a very good reason why. He is well respected by his fellow players and coaches around the league.

Plus, I loved the way he stood up for Garcia (a rookie pitcher who hadn't pitched above A ball) after Bautista's nonsense. The difference in class was very apparent by how the 2 reacted when they got thrown at. Jones just jogged to 1B instead of displaying Batista/Ortiz - like antics.

Hope he's an Oriole for life.

PS- My 2 least favorite are Bautista followed by Ortiz.

I just follow the Orioles. Once the O's players aren't here I do not follow them - e.g. Cruz and Markakis and the pitchers for the cubs.

I grew up a fan of Cal and Eddie. Cal was the poster boy, and I loved the work ethic and the "big guys can play shortstop too" revelation, but there was something about Eddie, who really just went out every day and got the job done, and who distrusted the media, that I really admired. It bothered me seeing him put on four other uniforms later in his career, but I kept following him and hoping he would do well. I was happy that at least he hit #500 wearing orange.

The nature of the game has changed. Seeing guys like Ripken, Gwynn, Yount and Biggio spending their whole career with one team seems to increasingly be a product of a bygone era. So while I really like some of the players on the team now, like the talent of Manny or the personality of a guy like O'Day, I also try not to get too deeply attached anymore. It's all too likely that one day several of them will be in the third-base dugout, wearing another jersey or, worst of all, pinstripes.

I grew up a fan of Cal and Eddie. Cal was the poster boy, and I loved the work ethic and the "big guys can play shortstop too" revelation, but there was something about Eddie, who really just went out every day and got the job done, and who distrusted the media, that I really admired. It bothered me seeing him put on four other uniforms later in his career, but I kept following him and hoping he would do well. I was happy that at least he hit #500 wearing orange.

The nature of the game has changed. Seeing guys like Ripken, Gwynn, Yount and Biggio spending their whole career with one team seems to increasingly be a product of a bygone era. So while I really like some of the players on the team now, like the talent of Manny or the personality of a guy like O'Day, I also try not to get too deeply attached anymore. It's all too likely that one day several of them will be in the third-base dugout, wearing another jersey or, worst of all, pinstripes.

You can thank our cheap owner for that :/

My dad is a big Schoop guy. I hope he becomes a stud.

I'm having a hard time finding one other than Manny. I'll never have beef with Jones though, that guy is a good ball player.

Wieters will remain my whipping boy, dude just can't play anymore. Seems like a good guy and gave us a couple years...

I know that it's obvious that I have certain favorite players on the Orioles. I even follow the careers of my favorite even after they have left the Orioles, particularly Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz. Also,I noticed that a guy who spent a brief time with the Orioles, Francisco Rodriguez (K-Rod) has bounced back to become a very efficient closer for the Milwaukee Brewers. Of course whenever Nick and Nellie's teams have played the Orioles, I have rooted for our pitchers to strike them out or make them GIDP. But other than that, I do follow their careers, their progress.

On the current Orioles, there are Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Steve Pearce, Zach Britton, Miguel Gonzalez. And a certain guy who I've become the Grand Poobah for.

My view is that my team is full of players, and the players do matter. Whereas for some, it's the color of the jerseys, and whichever players occupy the jerseys at the current moment aren't so important as the color of the jerseys.

So I'm wondering: who has certain players that they really like, perhaps even to the point of following their careers if they end up on different teams. Or is it just the team, whichever players are on the team?

Good thread.

On the current roster, my favorite is probably Gonzalez, with Joseph and Jones not far behind.

Over the last 5 years, Koji really stood out as a favorite of mine.

The Oriole Bird. The fans at the 2014 ALDS Game 2. Delmon Young and his unreal performance in the postseason. Can't say I have much interest in any of the current players or management.

You have no interest in Manny, Adam, or Buck? Maybe to a lesser degree Schoop?

don't laugh but I love:

1)Ubaldo-nice guy. rooting for him to do well and get back to Rox circa 2010 year

2)Urrutia-nice guy.

3)O'Day-nice guy. love his setup work

4)Jones-nice guy. great player

5)Manny-great player

6)Zach-nice guy. BEAST closer.

Unfortunately, its been a rough season BUT the last 3.75 season have been damn fun. This year has been fun but infuriating at times, well most of the time.

BUCK IS THE BEST AND TAKES THE CAKE.

Archived