Favorite players on our team

Nevermore

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my long tenure as an Orioles fan, there have been four players who I was really passionate about while they were here: Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, Mike Mussina, and Nick Markakis. For a shorter time, Erik Bedard was a huge favorite of mine.
One of my very favorite historical Orioles only played for the O's for 2 years. This was pitcher Jamie Moyer. He was a soft-tosser so he was always being relegated to the bullpen. I used to sit beside the Orioles' pen, and I was able to make friends with Jamie. Great guy. I have several items of autographed memorablia of his. He ended up with the Red Sox, and while DD was the GM for the Red Sox, he made one of the most one-sided trades that I've ever heard of: Jamie Moyer for Darren Bragg.

I don't know whatever happened to Darren Bragg. But Moyer went on to become an All-Star, won 20+ games twice. When Randy Johnson left the Mariners for the Diamondbacks, Jamie became the Ace of the Mariners pitching staff. Later on, with the Philadelphia Phillies, he became a WS hero. He finally had to retire at the age of (I believe that it was) 49 years.

EDIT: forgot to mention; Jamie has written a book, "Just Tell Me I Can't." Here he talks about his MLB (and minor league) career. Highly recommended.

One of my very favorite historical Orioles only played for the O's for 2 years. This was pitcher Jamie Moyer. He was a soft-tosser so he was always being relegated to the bullpen. I used to sit beside the Orioles' pen, and I was able to make friends with Jamie. Great guy. I have several items of autographed memorablia of his. He ended up with the Red Sox, and while DD was the GM for the Red Sox, he made one of the most one-sided trades that I've ever heard of: Jamie Moyer for Darren Bragg.

I don't know whatever happened to Darren Bragg. But Moyer went on to become an All-Star, won 20+ games twice. When Randy Johnson left the Mariners for the Diamondbacks, Jamie became the Ace of the Mariners pitching staff. Later on, with the Philadelphia Phillies, he became a WS hero. He finally had to retire at the age of (I believe that it was) 49 years.

EDIT: forgot to mention; Jamie has written a book, "Just Tell Me I Can't." Here he talks about his MLB (and minor league) career. Highly recommended.

I loved Moyer. First off he played for the Orioles and also spent time with my childhood team the Cubs.

He never had amazing stuff but was just a joy to watch pitch when he was on. Nowhere as good as Greg Maddux but similar in that he really had to pitch to be successful because neither he nor Maddux possessed the type of stuff to just blow away guys. They are those "crafty" types and I really love watching those guys pitch.

Archived