Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

He's done it before. One big deal and most folks forget the times he hurt his client. It is most certainly in his long term best interest to have his clients refuse the offers.

It is not as if his business is dependent on Matt's next contract.

I don't necessarily agree with this. If Boras finds the right situation I'd say it's in his long term interest to scare teams off of offering his clients qualifying offers. Wieters accepting would certainly make others think twice about borderline cases, no?

I think the decision comes down to whether or not Boras thinks Wieters is better off signing a long term deal this offseason or next offseason after pocketing $16 MM or so.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does it further Boras' agenda if his client turns down a QO and then nobody makes him an offer until June 2016? Boras would have some serious egg on his face in that case. Everyone would know it was Boras pushing his client to turn it down, and it would make him look awful. Sure, Boras will blame it on the QO system, but that doesn't solve anything in the near term.

There is a zero percent chance Wieters doesn't get signed, even with the cost of a draft pick. Zero.

I don't necessarily agree with this. If Boras finds the right situation I'd say it's in his long term interest to scare teams off of offering his clients qualifying offers. Wieters accepting would certainly make others think twice about borderline cases, no?

I've never met the man but I think his long game is an attempt to do away with process altogether. Playing the victim of the system is a much better way to facilitate that then taking advantage of the system.

He has the roster of players and the cash flow to afford to play the long game.

I've never met the man but I think his long game is an attempt to do away with process altogether. Playing the victim of the system is a much better way to facilitate that then taking advantage of the system.

Fair point, for sure.

Boras playing the victim is probably more likely to make the current system stick around longer, not shorter. Given how much most FOs loathe him, I doubt his whining is going to have any sway. In fact, they probably relish the schadenfreude.

Just because you dont like the guy, make him less valuable.

Catching is a critical need for several teams in MLB, and in short demand.

Salty got 3 years and 21 million, back in 2014.

Matt has value and thought to be one of the better catchers in the league, so it's easy to see that he will be in demand.

Matt's value is very much an open question IMO. I would be very surprised if some team didn't offer him more than he is worth. I would be equally surprised if the AAV of his best offer is much north of $10 million. A lot of time has passed since the prospect hype and the full extent of his recovery from the TJ surgery still isn't established. Face it, he's solid but he just doesn't shine.

Boras playing the victim is probably more likely to make the current system stick around longer, not shorter. Given how much most FOs loathe him, I doubt his whining is going to have any sway. In fact, they probably relish the schadenfreude.

It isn't Boras as the victim, it's Boras displaying the player as the victim and the MLBPA getting pissy about it during collective bargaining. It's a fair analysis, I think. Personally, I think Boras and his clients are better off operating as I hinted at, simply because the removal of some sort of comp pick system will NEVER happen short of the institution of more significant revenue sharing or payroll caps -- neither of which are likely due to the owners and MLBPA, respectively.

They were looking to resign Nick at an AAV of around $11 million per. Last year's QO was around $15 million plus he had been making $15 million for 2013 and 2014 and hadn't been producing to that level. A QO would have been inconsistent with both the Orioles' valuation of his expected contribution and preference for a 3-year contract at a lower AAV.

Huh?

You make a QO to any player that you aren't going to sign that you expect some other team will sign. Doesn't really matter what you are willing to pay.

By your argument they won't make a QO to Weiters either because the QO will be way above what any team will pay in AAV.

It isn't Boras as the victim, it's Boras displaying the player as the victim and the MLBPA getting pissy about it during collective bargaining. It's a fair analysis, I think. Personally, I think Boras and his clients are better off operating as I hinted at, simply because the removal of some sort of comp pick system will NEVER happen short of the institution of more significant revenue sharing or payroll caps -- neither of which are likely due to the owners and MLBPA, respectively.

I accept you might be correct.

It is what I would do.

Let's think objectively. If you were a major league GM and you wanted to upgrade your catcher position this offseason. What would you be your top offer for Matt' date=' including the loss of a draft pick?[/quote']

I'd do that if I was a MLB GM. Where would he go though? Wouldn't want to see him in Boston or in pinstripes

Matt's value is very much an open question IMO. I would be very surprised if some team didn't offer him more than he is worth. I would be equally surprised if the AAV of his best offer is much north of $10 million. A lot of time has passed since the prospect hype and the full extent of his recovery from the TJ surgery still isn't established. Face it, he's solid but he just doesn't shine.

Very true, but like Left Handed Quality SP, short supply, big demand, drives up the price.

He is a risk, that some team{s} will take a chance on. Just IMO.

Archived