Some important positives from this season

Frobby

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with this. "Star"...yes..."Superstar"...nope.

You can affix whatever labels you want, but even though he just turned 23 and missed half of last year he's 45th on the all time WAR list through age 23. Right in the same neighborhood as Roberto Alomar, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Frankie Frisch, Miguel Cabrera, and Sam Crawford.

Thoughts on Coolbaugh?

Disappointed that he didn't tell the players to stop striking out and walk a lot more and hit behind the runners with two strikes and be consistently great in high-leverage situations. Obviously if he'd thought to mention that the team would be a lot better than 5th or 6th in scoring runs.

Disappointed that he didn't tell the players to stop striking out and walk a lot more and hit behind the runners with two strikes and be consistently great in high-leverage situations. Obviously if he'd thought to mention that the team would be a lot better than 5th or 6th in scoring runs.

I'm upset. I wanted Crowley back.

Unfortunately the positives from the minors aren't nearly so good. And this is a team that needs to build from within, or else make some very shrewd free agent pick ups. All of these positives are a solid base, now give me something positive about how you add to these 5 players.

Well, as I said, the minors have developed a pretty solid group of bullpen guys. I mentioned that in my post because I was talking about guys who actually saw time in the majors this year -- Givens, Drake, Wright, Wilson, Rondon and Cabral. I think it is possible that either or both of Wright and Wilson can be a decent back of rotation starter, though I think it is more likely they'll be bullpen guys.

As to players who haven't reached the majors, I think the positive developments were (1) Mancini emerged as a prospect who will reach AAA at the start of next year, (2) Sisco continued to hit well in A+ and seems to be adjusting well to AA, and his catching suddenly seems to be improving (at least statistically; I don't know what scouts would say), and (3) Jomar Reyes had a very good season at Delmarva as an 18-year old. There are some other guys who have had decent seasons but these three guys stand out.

You can affix whatever labels you want, but even though he just turned 23 and missed half of last year he's 45th on the all time WAR list through age 23. Right in the same neighborhood as Roberto Alomar, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Frankie Frisch, Miguel Cabrera, and Sam Crawford.

I believe they were talking about Jones, not Manny. Manny is certainly in superstar territory now with this offensive breakout. Jones, however, will never be a superstar with his poor plate discipline limiting him to the 120 wRC+ range, IMO.

I was referring to Adam Jones, not Manny. I think he's a star...but not a "superstar".

The positives mentioned in the original post are what distinguishes this season from 1998, the last time that the O's went from being a division winner to an also-ran. The 1998 team was a veteran team that would almost completely turn over within a couple of seasons. This year's team does have a core of good young talent that could form the nucleus of the next Orioles team to make the playoffs

But the 1998 team does carry a warning message. One of the reasons the Orioles had 14 straight losing seasons is that they never committed to a genuine rebuild until Andy MacPhail traded Eric Bedard for Adam Jones, Chris Tillman et al. They tried to contend with their aging core for a few years by signing guys like Albert Belle, Will Clark and Eric Davis, then they tried to jump start a contending team by signing Miguel Tejada, Rafael Palmeiro and Javy Lopez even though they had very little other talent.

Unless Peter Angelos is willing to bump up payroll significantly next season, I think it would be a mistake to try to contend, given that this team is not good enough and that it's likely to lose more talent this offseason than it can re-sign. I think the team would be better off committing to a real rebuild, which means being willing to trade Jones and Britton if the right offer comes along.

Unless Peter Angelos is willing to bump up payroll significantly next season, I think it would be a mistake to try to contend, given that this team is not good enough and that it's likely to lose more talent this offseason than it can re-sign. I think the team would be better off committing to a real rebuild, which means being willing to trade Jones and Britton if the right offer comes along.

I think it will be essentially impossible to bump up payroll next year. Doing nothing means the payroll is something like $65M. So to get back to even they have to spend about $50M in 2016 salary. I'd say a significant bump would be maybe $25M on top of that. The Yanks or Dodgers or Sox rarely sign $75M in annual commitments in one offseason.

Sorry. You can Fwar all you want. I'm not feeling the super star tag.

The guy hits 30 bombs a year, OPS' .800 and plays a mean center field. And he's cut down his K rate while upping his power this year. Maybe we have different definitions of superstar?

The guy hits 30 bombs a year, OPS' .800 and plays a mean center field. And he's cut down his K rate while upping his power this year. Maybe we have different definitions of superstar?

If Jones is a superstar then what does that make Manny?

He's obviously a tier above Jones as a player.

Archived