Camden Depot: Overrated, Expensive, Central And South American Prospects

weams

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles are among the worst franchises for having top Dominican prospects.

Another fact.

We are talking about another 3-5 million dollars a year just to sign 2-3 of the more prominent Latin prospects.

Another fact.

If you don't buy a lottery ticket you can't win.

Another fact.

I'd like to see a list of teams that have produced more than Schoop and Ed Rod over the last two years out of their farm system.

This is just way too simplistic and obviously many teams disagree with you, including the Rays. If I told you you could only draft in the first 5 rounds of the June amateur draft or you could chose from rounds 6-40, which would you choose?

I'd look for some nice college kids that went un-drafted to sign to fill the rosters of the teams that I would field with my picks from the first five rounds.

Actually. Major league free agents usually contribute. They just are a poor return on investment. If you are looking to grow your own a modest investment in infrastructure and older internationals along with smart drafting and resisting giving away top end picks is a better formula for the all to middle segment.

You can't have it both ways. You can't cite an article as justification for not spending big $ on international prospects and then kick to the side the claim in the same article that FA spending is a worse investment.

You can't have it both ways. You can't cite an article as justification for not spending big $ on international prospects and then kick to the side the claim in the same article that FA spending is a worse investment.

I can absolutely. I did not write the article. I can have my own views. I believe that you are likely to get some MLB return with a MLB FA. I believe the speculation on a 16 year old is like gambling on penny stocks. I never said either investment was wise. Or likely to win a pennant for you. I think infrastructure and smarts is more likely than either. I think we proved that for 14 seasons.

The underlying problem here is the international system is screwed up. Team can just sign and sign and sign if they are willing to pay the tax. It's why the big market teams have no problem with it. It's also why the Orioles refuse to break the bank on a propsect. Why pay a tax and drop so much money on a guy who hasn't played a lick of minor league ball or major league?

MLB has to fix the issue. Just as it has to fix the stupid posting fee rules of Japanese players.

I guess.. it comes down to this for me. If you have to pay a bonus to player which is greater then the 1st pick of the MLB draft.. there is a massive problem with how the system is ran. There has to be an international draft in December during winter meetings which is slot just like the MLB draft.

I guess it comes down to this for me ...... that, broken or not, the system is the system and the Os have chosen a path that procures less of a critical resource than most every other team in MLB. For a team reputed to have outsized profits, being cheap in the international prospect signings is disappointing to me.

Besides, no one has advocated that the Os "break the bank". People have advocated that the Os jump into the pool like the other kids in the playground - even the poor ones.

Are you or were you against signing Jomar Reyes for 350K or Okelky Peralta for 300K?

I never said that I thought that spending small amounts on players that COULD have huge upsides was a bad poilicy. I just said the odds were not great on a big hit. But some folks win. If it does not keep you from paying your MLB middle infielder, I'm all for it.

You would have loved it (Sano) but you think throwing 3M at a 16 year old Dominican is foolish at the same time?

They are not all Sano. Besides, he was 6 million when we had a shot at him. Once the age thing came out we never had a chance.

You would have loved it (Sano) but you think throwing 3M at a 16 year old Dominican is foolish at the same time?

It is foolish. I still want my team that loses for 14 consecutive years to take whatever shots to improve that they can. Instead of buying me Jay Payton to watch for seasons.

Archived