Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Starting pitching is the key to the season. If we pitch like last year or worse, you can forget about the postseason.

I would agree with you except the front office all but ignored starting pitching this off season. That means Dan is apparently satisfied that our current rotation is World Series caliber.

What else could be explanation for his inactivity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree with you except the front office all but ignored starting pitching this off season. That means Dan is apparently satisfied that our current rotation is World Series caliber.

What else could be explanation for his inactivity?

The fact that PA doesn't believe in paying 5/100 M or more for any SP. So that pretty much puts us where we are now. A SP for less than 15 M, less than 3 years and no QO.

The fact that PA doesn't believe in paying 5/100 M or more for any SP. So that pretty much puts us where we are now. A SP for less than 15 M, less than 3 years and no QO.

Doesn't sound like a baseball decision.

Positionally we can go with an OF like Cespedes, Davis at 1B, Trumbo at DH. Or less expensive with a DH like Pedro Alvarez, with Davis in RF, and Trumbo at 1B for a year. I am fine with either. Davis is here 7 years, one year in RF is no biggie. I believe the metrics like Trumbo as much or a little better than Davis at 1B so this is not a bad one year option if we have to.

Of course, still need SP. Would love Fister.

Positionally we can go with an OF like Cespedes, Davis at 1B, Trumbo at DH. Or a less expensive with a DH like Pedro Alvarez, with Davis in RF, and Trumbo at 1B for a year. I am fine with either. Davis is here 7 years, one year in RF is no biggie. I believe the metrics like Trumbo as much or a little better than Davis at 1B so this is not a bad one year option if we have to.

Ofbcourse, still need SP. Would love Fister.

Roch was on 105.7 earlier today and stated that Davis won't play much outfield. Davis doesn't want to play the outfield regularly and Buck doesn't want him to play there regularly.

Roch was on 105.7 earlier today and stated that Davis won't play much outfield. Davis doesn't want to play the outfield regularly and Buck doesn't want him to play there regularly.

And yet, he allowed his agent to not only sell him as a outfielder, but the top outfielder, the Top! Wonder if Boras sold him as a shutdown reliever as well.

"Chris Davis grades out as the top free agent because he's the top outfielder, the top first baseman and the top DH. He's all of those. He's 3 in 1."

Scott Boras, Davis' agent

Who knew Boras would ever lie for financial gain. The top outfielder doesn't want to play much outfield, imagine that.

The top outfielder

Starting pitching is the key to the season. If we pitch like last year or worse, you can forget about the postseason.

Unfortunately we are bringing back the same rotation minus our best pitcher. I don't see any guy out there who can really help us, either, at least until July and some teams fall out of contention. I think Kazmir was our guy and we missed our chance. 4 years and we could have had him, but Peter wanted to keep the money available for Davis. Now we will have to clean out the farm system if we want to improve the rotation.

In my mind only Jones is a reliable major league OF but Trumbo Is the best of the rest, by default.

I think Wieters is the key to the season followed by Schoop. If they hit their potential, we play KC in the ALCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a crazy idea: Put Caleb Joseph at catcher (he's very good, actually). Put Wieters at 1B. Put Davis in right, where I suspect he'd be better than Trumbo. Put Trumbo at DH. Kim in left... if he's any good. I call this my "what the hell" strategy.

Unfortunately we are bringing back the same rotation minus our best pitcher. I don't see any guy out there who can really help us, either, at least until July and some teams fall out of contention. I think Kazmir was our guy and we missed our chance. 4 years and we could have had him, but Peter wanted to keep the money available for Davis. Now we will have to clean out the farm system if we want to improve the rotation.

You sure about this? Didn't he get an opt-out after one year?

Sign Cespedes and every starter we will face will have nightmares the night before they face us and have a migraine before the fourth inning of every game and be out of the game by the fifth. We'll be great to watch and win a lot of 9 - 6 games.

There are a lot of pitchers we can trade for and look for a trade for one of the Dodgers, White Sox, A's or Indians starters.

We should look to Oakland and see if we can put together a package for Sonny Grayor Chris Sale with the White Sox. Their GM's have said they would listen to offers.

If not a trade for a #1 or a #2 starter maybe a #4 like Alex Wood with the Dodgers.

You sure about this? Didn't he get an opt-out after one year?

He did, but if we had offered four that would have achieved his purpose of asking for the opt out. All the reports were that he wanted four years and the first team to budge would get it. My reading of that is that nobody stepped up but OAK gave him the opt out.

Archived