Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Not a happy tweet. Although in a vacuum those are two solid LH 1B with good OBP. Hopefully this doesn't indicate we're out on Davis.

Could be part of the dance. They are scheduled to meet with Boras this afternoon. Boras also handles Pedro Alvarez. Could be an interesting meeting.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be part of the dance. They are scheduled to meet with Boras this afternoon. Boras also handles Pedro Alvarez. Could be an interesting meeting.

I'm assuming they are making a final offer / making decision on whether or not to continue pursuing Davis. Depending on the outcome they will move on and begin talks on Alvarez.

I'm assuming they are making a final offer / making decision on whether or not to continue pursuing Davis. Depending on the outcome they will move on and begin talks on Alvarez.

They have to decide on Davis fairly soon, because how much they spend on 1B will determine how much money they have for pitching and the outfield.

Well, I won't microanalyze that, other than to say that we saw Tillman and Gonzalez revert to their FIP last year after beating it handily over 400-500 innings in 2012-14. O'Day's entire career is 443 innings.

That said, I'm not the biggest believer in FIP, as anyone who reads my posts regularly knows. It is probably an indicator that O'Day won't post a 1.92 ERA over the next four years, as he did in the last four, but I wouldn't expect him to be as good at 33-36 as he was at 29-32 in any event. I think a 2.50 ERA and 5-6 rWAR over the next four years would be a very good outcome. I'd feel lucky to get that.

I've menioned this a few times, but submariners/sidearmers seem to be more consistently good than normal relievers. But also have a disturbing tendency to see their ERA go from 2.88 to (out of the league) in a few months. See Steve Reed, Dan Quisenberry, Kent Tekulve, Chad Bradford, Byung-Hyun Kim. Mark Eichhorn. Todd Frohwirth was alternately great or unpitchable.

I think there's a good chance O'Day pitches well through this deal. But... one day we may wake up and find him unpitchable.

I've menioned this a few times, but submariners/sidearmers seem to be more consistently good than normal relievers. But also have a disturbing tendency to see their ERA go from 2.88 to (out of the league) in a few months. See Steve Reed, Dan Quisenberry, Kent Tekulve, Chad Bradford, Byung-Hyun Kim. Todd Frohwirth was alternately great or unpitchable.

I think there's a good chance O'Day pitches well through this deal. But... one day we may wake up and find him unpitchable.

But even if it happens, it will only cost $7.75M per year. You don't want that, but it's better than the situation the D-Backs will be in if Greinke goes south in a hurry.

I wouldn't mind signing Alvarez, but he would be a Johan Santana type lottery ticket, not someone that I would pencil in as definitely getting a positive contribution out of.

He's only 25 and has arb years left. He's more comparable to Bundy. But I saw that there's at least 10 teams interested so there goes that one.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> among teams trying to trade for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Brewers?src=hash">#Brewers</a>’ Lind or <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rangers?src=hash">#Rangers</a>’ Moreland. Also inquired on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a>’ Miller, but no match.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 8, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like the idea of Lind. It doesn't exclude us from signing Davis. Davis could play RF. But it is a backup plan. Just depends on what we have to give up.

But even if it happens, it will only cost $7.75M per year. You don't want that, but it's better than the situation the D-Backs will be in if Greinke goes south in a hurry.

Sure, but Greinke has been worth about (or more than) twice as much as O'Day's best season each of the last eight years. Last year Greinke was pretty much Darren O'Day, just in almost four times as many innings.

He's only 25 and has arb years left. He's more comparable to Bundy. But I saw that there's at least 10 teams interested so there goes that one.

Yeah, one arbitration year in 2017 if he signs a one year-deal. Interested to see whether anyone will guarantee him a two year deal. I don't think it would be in his or the signing team's interest to sign a three-year deal. Maybe two years with a hefty one-year option with a minimal buyout if a team is nervous about guaranteeing that second year. That way they could get a benefit if he does bounce all the way back.

One of the hitting dominoes has to fall at some point so the market can get moving. This has to be the slowest winter meeting in history. The media has nothing to talk about so they keep bringing up the Fernandez deal which I have a hard time seeing actually getting close to done.

I like the idea of Lind. It doesn't exclude us from signing Davis. Davis could play RF. But it is a backup plan. Just depends on what we have to give up.

Buck was interviewed today on MLB XM. He described both Trumbo and Davis as OF when needed, not full time OF.

One of the hitting dominoes has to fall at some point so the market can get moving. This has to be the slowest winter meeting in history. The media has nothing to talk about so they keep bringing up the Fernandez deal which I have a hard time seeing actually getting close to done.
Zobrist will decide maybe by tomorrow.

Yea you would think that there'd be some rumors floating around about contract offers with Davis, Upton or especially Heyward. These are game changing guys, you would think someone would get antsy

Archived