Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not necessarily. Spending 7-8M on O'Day and having Givens in a lower leverage role is not necessarily going to make the team better than having Givens or Wright in O'Day's role and spending that 7-8M towards LF, RF, or somewhere else. If I thought signing O'Day made us a better team going forward, I'd be all for it. I don't.

That's why I said I think the money is better spent elsewhere. However, based on the way DD put together this team, I'm less than confident we'll find a better way to spend it than on DOD.

Not necessarily. Spending 7-8M on O'Day and having Givens in a lower leverage role is not necessarily going to make the team better than having Givens or Wright in O'Day's role and spending that 7-8M towards LF, RF, or somewhere else. If I thought signing O'Day made us a better team going forward, I'd be all for it. I don't.

I believe O'Day adds significant value to the Orioles because of his durability (so far) and the inability of any of their starters (other than the soon-to-be-departed Chen) to go deep into games.

The Orioles are fourth in the AL in IP pitched by relievers, behind the Rays, Royals and NYY. The Rays and NYY have been hurt by the need to rely on their pens so much (despite the latter's big spending on Miller). The Royals have turned it into a strength with their extraordinarily strong and deep relief corps.

I also think O'Day might sign with the Orioles for a few dollars less than he would get elsewhere.

I realize that O'Day is a different type of pitcher but even the Todd Frohwiths and Chad Bradfords lost effectiveness at some point.

Maybe this is coincidence, SSS oddity or whatever, but Bradford, Frohwirth, Dan Quisenberry, Dick Hall, Kent Tekulve, Steve Reed... the first handful of sidearmers/submariners I thought of, they all went from steady-state reliable relievers to out of the league in a very short period. Like one bad year and they're done, mostly. If I had to guess that's because the minute they lose their whatever it is that allows a weird delivery to succeed they're just a guy throwing a 78-mph fastball.

I think that's the wrong way to look at but, whatever. Better yet, you take the 3.2 saved from Matusz, the 4.25 saved from O'Day and add 4.2M to that you have almost 12M to put towards an everyday LF or RF, and you trust Showatler to find a bullpen nugget or two amonst Wright, Givens, and Drake.

I'd prefer that. There's rarely a shortage of decent relievers. There's often a shortage of available, good position players at your price point.

I checked on Tekulve. He pitching a lot of innings and seemed to be pretty effective for a very long time. Probably right on the others though.

From 1975-1988 Tekulve threw at least 56 innings (and as high as 135) with an ERA 3.57 or below every single year. Very consistent and very good for a long time. Then in 1989 he threw 52 innings to a 5.02 and was done.

Archived