6 Predictions for the Winter Meetings: #2: Orioles sign Jason Heyward

Mayor McCheese

A pick is valued at something around 2-3% of the total value of Heyward's contract. You can't let that stand in the way.
Well if Heyward were a realistic consideration, perhaps I'd agree but he isn't. We are not committing that much money or that many years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get the vibe you're going to be almost 100M short of what he actually gets. Initially I thought it was 10/200 but I'm starting to think it's closer to 10/240.
Why? What teams are knocking down his door? Not STL. Maybe LAA, but I doubt he gets that much from them.

I am hugely pro-draft and even I would give up a pick for someone as young and talented as Heyward.

Indeed. There's not a team in the league that'd pass on Heyward exclusively to protect their draft pick. Asking price issues, sure, but if a team wanted him and could afford him, a 1st round pick wouldn't be a deterrent at all.

I just don't see the Orioles ponying up to what he'll command. He'd be a great fit, but there are so many other holes this team needs to address.

I am hugely pro-draft and even I would give up a pick for someone as young and talented as Heyward.

Me to.

Heyward is a guy who would be one of the very few that I would surrender a pick for.

It's all a fantasy though, I tend to believe Heyward will get more than CD for the reasons you mention (youth and talent). I also believe given that, it would be more likely that CD would be signed to a big money deal by the Orioles than Heyward

So your comment about the pick standing in the way should have read the pick has nothing to do with this.
I was mainly talking about Gordon v Cespedes, but I think the pick applies pretty much across the board for position players and pitchers who are conceivably within our price range. We wouldn't spend that much on Heyward and lose the pick, when we need to apply that money to many more holes than just one COF.

I think one team who suck and who also wear pinstripes could be in the hunt.
Every thing I hear about the MFY is that they aren't spending big money this winter. Fans are *****ing all the time on talk shows about how much they have to pay for tickets and Steinbrenner won't pay for a team. They need a second base, there are plenty of good options, but they don't seem interested. They need a SP but they aren't in on any of the top ones. They are stuck with Beltran and ARoid, there just isn't room for Heyward. Maybe if they traded Gardner.

Can someone explain to me why Jason Hayward is worth 25MM+For 8-10 years? I get that he's you and because of defense he has a 6+ WAR but I think there's still a big question if he power will develop. Since hitting 27 he's hit 11 & 13 the last 2 season. It might be me but I would much rather have someone proven like Justin Upton....

Can someone explain to me why Jason Hayward is worth 25MM+For 8-10 years? I get that he's you and because of defense he has a 6+ WAR but I think there's still a big question if he power will develop. Since hitting 27 he's hit 11 & 13 the last 2 season. It might be me but I would much rather have someone proven like Justin Upton....

He doesn't need his power to develop. He's worth it at his current level of production. The possibility of further gains on offense is gravy.

If you are the sort that only wants to give huge contracts to power guys or someone who demands power from RF then Heyward isn't the player for you.

Archived