What if...(Britton)

Camden_yardbird

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck on trade interest in closer Zach Britton: "We're not moving him." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck on trade interest in closer Zach Britton: "We're not moving him." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buck just trying to get Springer from Houston.

Macphail strikes again. Trades a reliever with 1.5 seasons of success for a #3 SP, a LH #5, and an OF that has already had success in AA and the AFL.

I think Britton could have gotten more but that was probably the trade that came out this morning that the O's had a trade worked out but didn't like who they had to give up. Had to have been Britton to HOU or Bundy to MIL for Lind.

I'm fine with keeping Britton. The theory always was to flip our stud closer for a stud SP or OF. But the dodgers and cubs are still out there with loaded systems and looking for closers.

No way I trade Britton.Great closers don't grow on trees. We've gotten extremely lucky with JJ and Zack back to back. Let's not forget about the Tommy Hunter experiment The way the Orioles are spending money right now there going for a ring and we can't afford to guess on our closer for prospects.

No way I trade Britton.Great closers don't grow on trees. We've gotten extremely lucky with JJ and Zack back to back. Let's not forget about the Tommy Hunter experiment The way the Orioles are spending money right now there going for a ring and we can't afford to guess on our closer for prospects.

:agree:

Given the returns for Kimbrel and Giles, and the reported return for Chapman, the Orioles would be (are) moronic to not shop Britton. If they can fill out the rest of their roster with something looking like a competitive team then keep him, but absent that its time to get serious about restocking the system. The real truth is this, most teams are as poor as the Orioles at drafting and developing talent but some realize when they need to take stock of the competitiveness of their team and rebuild a little (see Atlanta and Philadelphia), the latter of whom is run by the guy who built the core of last Orioles competitive team.

Given the returns for Kimbrel and Giles, and the reported return for Chapman, the Orioles would be (are) moronic to not shop Britton. If they can fill out the rest of their roster with something looking like a competitive team then keep him, but absent that its time to get serious about restocking the system. The real truth is this, most teams are as poor as the Orioles at drafting and developing talent but some realize when they need to take stock of the competitiveness of their team and rebuild a little (see Atlanta and Philadelphia), the latter of whom is run by the guy who built the core of last Orioles competitive team.

I would agree with you if we started the rebuilding process last year instead of trying to make the playoffs. Obviously we're not rebuilding you don't give Oday a large contract and offer Davis 150m if you are. So under the current plan it would be foolish to roll the dice on a different closer.

Macphail strikes again. Trades a reliever with 1.5 seasons of success for a #3 SP, a LH #5, and an OF that has already had success in AA and the AFL.

I think Britton could have gotten more but that was probably the trade that came out this morning that the O's had a trade worked out but didn't like who they had to give up. Had to have been Britton to HOU or Bundy to MIL for Lind.

I'm fine with keeping Britton. The theory always was to flip our stud closer for a stud SP or OF. But the dodgers and cubs are still out there with loaded systems and looking for closers.

It is possible Britton could get more but Giles is under control for 5 years and is at major league minimum for at least one season, maybe 2. Where as Britton will probably earn $15M over next 2 seasons.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would agree with you if we started the rebuilding process last year instead of trying to make the playoffs. Obviously we're not rebuilding you don't give Oday a large contract and offer Davis 150m if you are. So under the current plan it would be foolish to roll the dice on a different closer.

I agree to a point. The Yankees just shipped Wilson, a reasonably young and effective lefty, because people are paying stupid prices for relievers. If you get a stupid trade offer from a team you have to take it whether you are planning on competing or not. The O'Day signing means you are not left without an option, and frankly, if you make O'Day the closer his contract is amazing. Brach, Givens and my dark horse breakout Drake mean you are not hurting the rest of the bullpen to do it.

Just my opinion, but if you're not a contender it's a mistake not cashing in on the kind of value people are giving up for closers right now. There's an excellent chance Vincent Velasquez puts up more value than Giles this year by himself, let alone the rest of the haul. These are packages that were reserved for strong middle of the rotation to not quite ace level guys and now you can get that same package for a guy who throw 70 innings a year.

I wouldn't play the name game of possible players we could get for Britton. Britton is a known commodity and we need him to win...

Anyone remember Felix Pie? He was a popular name to toss around as a dreamy prospect - and sucked.

In sum - no, don't trade Britton to dodgers for prospects

Archived