Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

Going Underground

I suspect Manny is just ducking Fanfest, but you made a lousy argument about how Manny owed it to The Man to be there.

My feeling is Manny is likely a good person who is still rather immature. My guess is years from now he will understand that avoiding things like this was a little bit selfish. Weams brought up a good point also about the contract last season. Also it sounds like some initial talks were made regarding a long term deal but didn't progress yet. He could be slightly bitter, we have no way of knowing.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't have a problem with it. I just think it is probably helicopter uncling and absolutely because he was renewed in his contract and not paid a million or so.

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with his contract situation. We're talking about a guy who played all 162 games this year. He's done nothing to suggest that he is "acting out" in any way because he didn't get a salary bump.

I take what he said in the article (which is a quote from another occasion, not from this) at face value: "I grew up without a father in my life," Machado told USA Today in 2013, "and I see how Yonder and Yainee grew up with their family. I want that. I've always wanted that. Family means everything to me, and now I can say we are all family."

I wasn't at the birth of my brother's children, and he wasn't at my children's, though we are extremely close and don't live far apart. I was happy enough to meet his kids a few days after they were born. But if this is important to Manny, I say I admire his attachment to his family.

My feeling is Manny is likely a good person who is still rather immature. My guess is years from now he will understand that avoiding things like this was a little bit selfish. Weams brought up a good point also about the contract last season. Also it sounds like some initial talks were made regarding a long term deal but didn't progress yet. He could be slightly bitter, we have no way of knowing.

I certainly don't know that. But I am not interested in getting Manny's autograph. I just think the Baltimore fans deserve the opportunity to see their superstar. Our fanfests are a big deal. This would not have happened when Monica was still alive.

No one asked you what was or was not paramount to an individual's particular family life. In what way are you at all similar to Manny Machado? How can you make any comparison?

The extent to which we want to insert ourselves into the lives of athletes is gross. We think we know what's best for them, we think we know what they're thinking, we compare them to our situations. We think of them probably more than we think about some family members.

Maybe he's ducking fanfest, maybe not. Either way, 1) it doesn't matter, 2) he got approval and that's already more than we need to know, and 3) the excuse he provided should be respected because he's given no reason that it should not be.

I'm not. I don't care if anyone asks either. I can have my say and my opinions too. Thank you.

My feeling is Manny is likely a good person who is still rather immature. My guess is that years from now, he will understand that avoiding things like this was a little bit selfish. Weams brought up a good point also about the contract last season. Also it sounds like some initial talks were made regarding a long term deal but didn't progress yet. He could be slightly bitter, we have no way of knowing.

I think that this is probably correct. Machado may be going through a period of being "young and stupid" right now.

Now, we Oriole fans just hope that someday he doesn't wind up being old and stupid, like Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez.

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with his contract situation. We're talking about a guy who played all 162 games this year. He's done nothing to suggest that he is "acting out" in any way because he didn't get a salary bump.

I take what he said in the article (which is a quote from another occasion, not from this) at face value: "I grew up without a father in my life," Machado told USA Today in 2013, "and I see how Yonder and Yainee grew up with their family. I want that. I've always wanted that. Family means everything to me, and now I can say we are all family."

I wasn't at the birth of my brother's children, and he wasn't at my children's, though we are extremely close and don't live far apart. I was happy enough to meet his kids a few days after they were born. But if this is important to Manny, I say I admire his attachment to his family.

I can see your perspective as reasonable. As usual.

I'm not. I don't care if anyone asks either. I can have my say and my opinions too. Thank you.

Sure you can.

We can call you on how that opinion sounds last I checked.

The fact you brought Monica into this is really crappy. WOW. Really?

Maybe you would like to join us in the 21st century Weams.......as you said, maybe things have passed you by. This is pretty common these days.

Maybe you would like to join us in the 21st century Weams.......as you said, maybe things have passed you by. This is pretty common these days.

I don't disagree. I would not know. I knew Monica. I liked Monica. Monica kept these guys in line too.

Sure you can.

We can call you on how that opinion sounds last I checked.

The fact you brought Monica into this is really crappy. WOW. Really?

You are right. You can call me out on it and there is no harm in that.

To anyone who I may have insulted with my opinion of how Monica did her job.I do apologize and I'll drop the subject. And the Manny subject as ell.

I don't disagree. I would not know. I knew Monica. I liked Monica. Monica kept these guys in line too.

I met Monica several times, she was wonderful and did everything she could to meet our needs for several functions (work for a major Baltimore hospital chain and she among others helped us with numerous charitable functions).

She is missed. I think on that ....everyone agrees .

No one asked you what was or was not paramount to an individual's particular family life. In what way are you at all similar to Manny Machado? How can you make any comparison?

The extent to which we want to insert ourselves into the lives of athletes is gross. We think we know what's best for them, we think we know what they're thinking, we compare them to our situations. We think of them probably more than we think about some family members.

Maybe he's ducking fanfest, maybe not. Either way, 1) it doesn't matter, 2) he got approval and that's already more than we need to know, and 3) the excuse he provided should be respected because he's given no reason that it should not be.

To part 1~ it does matter if he is ducking fanfest, not sure why you don't think he has an obligation to be there. part 2~If you had a young superstar on your team would you take the chance of making him disgruntled over something like this, especially if they are in some sort of negotiations right now. part 3~ I agree, you have to take him for his word, what choice do you have.

To part 1~ it does matter if he is ducking fanfest, not sure why you don't think he has an obligation to be there. part 2~If you had a young superstar on your team would you take the chance of making him disgruntled over something like this, especially if they are in some sort of negotiations right now. part 3~ I agree, you have to take him for his word, what choice do you have.

I'll agree it would matter to me if Manny was just using the birth of his niece/nephew as a convenient excuse to skip FanFest, as opposed to genuinely feeling very strongly about being there. But I just don't see any reason to doubt that Manny's feelings are bona fide.

Archived